Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: WATER HEADS!!!  (Read 18045 times)

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
Re: WATER HEADS!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 08:50:25 AM »

I am by no means an expert. But my best friend of 45 years is!!!! He is a Master HD Tech. There are a lot of recalls and service bulleting on these motors already. How long ago were they released? Six weeks maybe!!!!! So don't shoot the messenger, just go ahead and buy one. This kinda reminds of the dreaded 2007 110 motors!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Curious now.  i have a new '14 and have not received any notice of any recalls or TSB's.  Aren't they supposed to alert you of recalls?

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »

Everyone has problems and that's okay with me, its how they handle the solution that will set a company aside.

I bought a new BMW 2013 K1600GTL in May of this year. They have lots of issues with that bike but it rides great with a 160hp six cylinder engine. Well I sold mine after two months since they stuck their heads in the sand and they are still struggling with the same issues.

So far every HD I bought had some issues but the dealer(s) I dealt with always took care of it 100% to my satisfaction, I expect no less on the CVO Limited.

My last CVO (2012) had one recall and I believe that was the voltage regulator, great ride

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »

They had to start this way because most of the customers are backwards and stuck in the past. The average HD customers is "old" and don't want liquid cooling. Doing it this way they ease in to it and get the emissions down for mainly CA. I am sure we will see a full liquid cooled version in the future.

Also, its an American made, with steelworkers Union labor product, so I do expect quality issues. If I wanted perfect I would buy Japanese  :drink:

I sometimes wonder why some people buy Harley's -  if they hate them so much? is it to look cool?  just wondering why anyone would buy something they bash, including the union workers. I am happy that Harley is built by Union employees here in America and happy it has American steel made my union workers. I am also happy to see older Harley riders enjoying their preferred ride and lifestyle... I only wish all the parts were sourced within America.

This reply is not meant to put anyone down, just questioning all the negativity. I truly enjoy riding and owning Harley Davidson motorcycles and respect the workers that build them. The reason Harley went with water cooled heads and air cooled barrels is because it works; ask BMW. The VRod has not sold well at all, why would they go with a design that most riders reject? even if it puts out lots of HP and is a great motor. It has not sold well in the marketplace.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 08:11:32 PM »

You are for sure missing my point. I love all the Harley's I had, have, and will have. Currently ride a 2013 Ultra Limited, have a CVO Limited coming next week and a Breakout in November.

I do hate Union Steelworkers with a passion, but I don't ride them

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »

;D  Now that was funny.

It's not that we hate Harleys.  Most of us here love the damn things & are passionate about our rides.  Because we do ride them.  But we know some things could be done better and properly road testing new stuff to eliminate future issues has been one of Harley's weaknesses, in my opinion.  I had an '07 110 brand new motor so I can speak firsthand to that lack of testing.

Here we have a 2014 Mt. Rushmore project, highly touted, and sure there are going to be a few glitches.  Hopefully they will remain few.  But some of these sound more like real problems of a very serious nature - read Steve Cole's comments in another thread on a multitude of difficulties associated with tuning a 2014 with the CAN-BUS for example, besides what is posted in this thread.  Then you have the '14 leakers & that is just plain inexcusable considering the past multitude of comments (and jokes) about the water bikes and leaking.  It would seem that attention was not given to detail.

The V-Rod is a different bike from the cruisers, which after the Sportys are the MoCos best sellers.  So no they never took off & besides HD left the Dyna in the lineup so the V Rod became more of a niche bike.  Now HD makes a water cooled cruiser which should become their biggest seller.  Not expecting perfection, but when you spend the better part of $30k or $40k on a ride, it should be reliable.  
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »

You are for sure missing my point. I love all the Harley's I had, have, and will have. Currently ride a 2013 Ultra Limited, have a CVO Limited coming next week and a Breakout in November.

I do hate Union Steelworkers with a passion, but I don't ride them

Cool, I agree Harley has room for improvement, I just love to ride them. Once I got real mad at my Harley dealer; I went down to the BMW dealership wanting to buy one and wanting to love them more than you could imagine. Everything looked so good on paper. When I rode the bike my heart fell to my stomach, it was not the look, feel or sound I had come to love. I went back to the HD dealer and made my purchase and never looked back.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »

;D  Now that was funny.

It's not that we hate Harleys.  Most of us here love the damn things & are passionate about our rides.  Because we do ride them.  But we know some things could be done better and properly road testing new stuff to eliminate future issues has been one of Harley's weaknesses, in my opinion.  I had an '07 110 brand new motor so I can speak firsthand to that lack of testing.

Here we have a 2014 Mt. Rushmore project, highly touted, and sure there are going to be a few glitches.  Hopefully they will remain few.  But some of these sound more like real problems of a very serious nature - read Steve Cole's comments in another thread on a multitude of difficulties associated with tuning a 2014 with the CAN-BUS for example, besides what is posted in this thread.  Then you have the '14 leakers & that is just plain inexcusable considering the past multitude of comments (and jokes) about the water bikes and leaking.  It would seem that attention was not given to detail.

The V-Rod is a different bike from the cruisers, which after the Sportys are the MoCos best sellers.  So no they never took off & besides HD left the Dyna in the lineup so the V Rod became more of a niche bike.  Now HD makes a water cooled cruiser which should become their biggest seller.  Not expecting perfection, but when you spend the better part of $30k or $40k on a ride, it should be reliable.  

I purchased a 2007 SE Ultra brand New as well. The factory recall replaced the heads and I never really had that many issues, when I test rode the 2014 I was blown away at the improvement and bought it on the spot.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »

I purchased a 2007 SE Ultra brand New as well. The factory recall replaced the heads and I never really had that many issues, when I test rode the 2014 I was blown away at the improvement and bought it on the spot.

No disagreement on the great improvements on the 2014's.  HD was listening to what riders wanted. 

After my 07 & it's multitudes of breakdowns involving tows, I bought a 2010 CVO Ultra.  Great bike, very few issues & except for the compensator most others were minor. 

My point is not that a bike is expected to be perfection.  It appears there are more than a few unresolved issues with these 14's & while some might be considered minor like the aggravation of the radio, some are more serious.  When we spend this kind of money & the HD technology is new, we, the riders, should not be the beta testing study.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »

I had one issue with my 2014 Limited. The coolant leak. My dealer made the repair and all is good. No other issue. Best new Harley I have owned. Nothing like the disappoitment I had with my 07.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »

I had one issue with my 2014 Limited. The coolant leak. My dealer made the repair and all is good. No other issue. Best new Harley I have owned. Nothing like the disappoitment I had with my 07.

I'm not so sure you should say "my dealer made the repair and all is good."  Since you always manually engage the cooling fan when you turn off the bike, isn't that maybe the fix?  My fan used to come on a lot for 10 to 15 seconds after I stopped. Yesterday when mine puked for the first time, I noticed the fan didn't kick on at all.  I guess my thought is if I had engaged the fan manually like you do, would mine have puked for the first time???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »

I'm not so sure you should say "my dealer made the repair and all is good."  Since you always manually engage the cooling fan when you turn off the bike, isn't that maybe the fix?  My fan used to come on a lot for 10 to 15 seconds after I stopped. Yesterday when mine puked for the first time, I noticed the fan didn't kick on at all.  I guess my thought is if I had engaged the fan manually like you do, would mine have puked for the first time???

The coolant leak that he mentioned, if I remember correctly, was due to a clamp problem.  That is an entirely different issue than the one that is the subject of this thread, which is the cooling system puking from the overflow due to localized overheating and pressure buildup.

As for the fans, as best I can tell they are automatically controlled by the ECM which gets temp input from a sensor in the left radiator and road speed info from the speed sensor, and are not manually controlled.  It's likely that this puking problem could be related to the ECM not consistently turning the fans on when needed, for whatever reason (bad temp sensor reading, bad road speed reading, ECM error, etc.).  I don't have one (and don't intend to), so if I've missed something about how the fans work hopefully someone will enlighten me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »

Well the MOCO claims they listened to the owners. HMMMMM well they gave us fancy new headlights and driving lights. Seems like I heard a lot more owners asking for a solid crank, guess the lights were cheaper. And I bought and still have my 07CUSE and not because it has been trouble free. At the end of my factory warranty was a failed comp assembly and would the MOCO help. NOOOOOO! Don't think I want a RUSHED MORE.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »

The coolant leak that he mentioned, if I remember correctly, was due to a clamp problem.  That is an entirely different issue than the one that is the subject of this thread, which is the cooling system puking from the overflow due to localized overheating and pressure buildup.

As for the fans, as best I can tell they are automatically controlled by the ECM which gets temp input from a sensor in the left radiator and road speed info from the speed sensor, and are not manually controlled.  It's likely that this puking problem could be related to the ECM not consistently turning the fans on when needed, for whatever reason (bad temp sensor reading, bad road speed reading, ECM error, etc.).  I don't have one (and don't intend to), so if I've missed something about how the fans work hopefully someone will enlighten me.

Jerry

I guess I have confused Scottt with another guy then.  There is someone else who keeps saying his problem is fixed. However, he manually activates the fans after every stop....I guess he doesn't trust the fix he's speaking of?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »

Manually activating the fans at every stop .... Does this mean you also have to manually deactivate them, too?  What a PITA.

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »

It is a big deal, if it has lots of issues, it is 40K.  So if you buy at MSP and six months later have to sell because it spends more time at the dealer, in the shop than on the road you will loose 5K or much more if you sell or trade.  To most 5K is a good chuck of change

You might get 35K if there wasn't a problem with it. If the Twin Cooled motors continue to have problems you would be lucky to get 25K
               Jonnierock
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.