Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Which Bike to Buy  (Read 4585 times)

HVACdraftsman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE
Which Bike to Buy
« on: December 25, 2013, 07:49:22 PM »

Hi Everyone,

OK, so I had an accident on Sunday (I'm OK, no broken bones, just some roadrash), with my mint condition 2010 CVO Ultra (Riptide Blue/Titianium Dust) that had 8,000 miles, and I've been told that because the crashbar bent at almost 90 degrees hitting and damageing the fork leg, that if the top mounting bolt hole in the frame for the crashbar is dameaged that chances are the frame is bent and the bike would be totaled.  FYI- I absolutly loved this bike, but it took changing the suspension to Progressive Monotubes in the front and JRI shocks in the rear to make it ride like a Cadillac.  And a few other small things to make it right for me. As well as a Ful-sak XD pipe and tune by Doc.

Now for my delema, I'm not to crazy about the new 2014 CVO's colors, (the blue could be do-able but really not crazy about it), and I went for a test ride on a Black 2014 Ultra Limited with a 103 (which was very peppy in it's stock form).  I could buy it for $25,899 or for about the same price I found the same exact bike that I just wrecked (a 2010 FLHTCUSE5) on ebay with 17,000 miles, and it looks like it's in mint condition.  Here's the link;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Touring-2010-harley-davidson-flhtcuse-5-screamin-eagle-ultra-classic-book-value-31-/191010378075?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c791b115b&item=191010378075&pt=US_motorcycles

I've read that the 14's have some problems with the antifreeze leaking and that their's something not quite right with the ECM (I was told this by Doc, from Doc's performance tuning several months ago), when I was having him install the Ful-sak XD pipe and tune it with a Mastertune TTS, as well as some other issues that happen when a new model comes out, I was going to wait a year or 2 for the mo co to get the bugs out, but now that I need a bike I have to make a choice. 

So, I am looking to the community for some advise on which to get, a 4 year old 2010 used CVO (110), or a brand new 2014 Black (Ultra Limited with a 103), for approximatly the same price.

Some of the things that I like and don't like about the 2014's,  On the 2010, I like the glove box's in the lowers with the magnetic doors to hold some of my stuff when I ride like my wallet and cell phone and I also like the 3 pocket fairing pouch that because of the new fairing venting cant be used on the 14's.
I like the new radio system on the 14's. I was having trouble hearing the stereo on my 2010 at speeds above 75-80.  Before the accident, I was thinking of putting the Hawgwired 6 1/2" speakers and poweramp into it.

I like the remote lock/unlock feature on the 2010 CVO, and the 2014 doesent come with it, but the salesman told me it already has the wireing harness so adding them to the 2014 is possiable (I don't know if he was bs'ing me or not, I have to look into this) I like how the new saddle bags and tour-pak open with the lever in the back.
I'd have to put chrome forks on the 14 Limited which is probelly about $700 or so with labor.
The 14 has heated hand grips, but I would need a heated seat (if possiable I would attempt to keep the one from my 2010 before the Ins Co take's it), as well as some other parts that I can re-use on the new 14 if that's the way I go.

So any advise that anyone could give me would be extreamly helpful.

Thanks in advance for any replies/advise,
Lance (HVACdraftsman)
HVACdraftsman@aol.com

HVACdraftsman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE
Which Bike to Buy
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »

Hi Everyone,

OK, so I had an accident on Sunday (I'm OK, no broken bones, just some roadrash), with my mint condition 2010 CVO Ultra (Riptide Blue/Titianium Dust) that had 8,000 miles, and I've been told that because the crashbar bent at almost 90 degrees hitting and damageing the fork leg, that if the top mounting bolt hole in the frame for the crashbar is dameaged that chances are the frame is bent and the bike would be totaled.  FYI- I absolutly loved this bike, but it took changing the suspension to Progressive Monotubes in the front and JRI shocks in the rear to make it ride like a Cadillac.  And a few other small things to make it right for me. As well as a Ful-sak XD pipe and tune by Doc.

Now for my delema, I'm not to crazy about the new 2014 CVO's colors, (the blue could be do-able but really not crazy about it), and I went for a test ride on a Black 2014 Ultra Limited with a 103 (which was very peppy in it's stock form).  I could buy it for $25,899 or for about the same price I found the same exact bike that I just wrecked (a 2010 FLHTCUSE5) on ebay with 17,000 miles, and it looks like it's in mint condition.  Here's the link;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Touring-2010-harley-davidson-flhtcuse-5-screamin-eagle-ultra-classic-book-value-31-/191010378075?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c791b115b&item=191010378075&pt=US_motorcycles

I've read that the 14's have some problems with the antifreeze leaking and that their's something not quite right with the ECM (I was told this by Doc, from Doc's performance tuning several months ago), when I was having him install the Ful-sak XD pipe and tune it with a Mastertune TTS, as well as some other issues that happen when a new model comes out, I was going to wait a year or 2 for the mo co to get the bugs out, but now that I need a bike I have to make a choice. 

So, I am looking to the community for some advise on which to get, a 4 year old 2010 used CVO (110), or a brand new 2014 Black (Ultra Limited with a 103), for approximatly the same price.

Some of the things that I like and don't like about the 2014's,  On the 2010, I like the glove box's in the lowers with the magnetic doors to hold some of my stuff when I ride like my wallet and cell phone and I also like the 3 pocket fairing pouch that because of the new fairing venting cant be used on the 14's.
I like the new radio system on the 14's. I was having trouble hearing the stereo on my 2010 at speeds above 75-80.  Before the accident, I was thinking of putting the Hawgwired 6 1/2" speakers and poweramp into it.

I like the remote lock/unlock feature on the 2010 CVO, and the 2014 doesent come with it, but the salesman told me it already has the wireing harness so adding them to the 2014 is possiable (I don't know if he was bs'ing me or not, I have to look into this) I like how the new saddle bags and tour-pak open with the lever in the back.
I'd have to put chrome forks on the 14 Limited which is probelly about $700 or so with labor.
The 14 has heated hand grips, but I would need a heated seat (if possiable I would attempt to keep the one from my 2010 before the Ins Co take's it), as well as some other parts that I can re-use on the new 14 if that's the way I go.

So any advise that anyone could give me would be extreamly helpful.

Thanks in advance for any replies/advise,
Lance (HVACdraftsman)
HVACdraftsman@aol.com

FLHTCUSE7

Re: Which Bike to Buy
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »

I did not really like any of the colors either but went ahead an purchased the blue version. Love the MC and in my opinion there is no better HD out there.

I plan on holding on to it for a few years but if there is a color I really like for 2015 I just trade it in, to me it's a toy and if something better comes around its easy to make a switch.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »

I went with the 2014 in blue. Did not really love the colors either but did not want to wait. This is in my opinion the best HD so far.

And if something better comes around I can just trade it in.

Looks like my first respons did not work so I am trying again, either that or I just double posted :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:05:30 PM by Rotarywing »

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »

Buy the 2010, and switch all the parts from the beat up one to make it perfect for you again.  Great idea to wait a bit before buying the new version. Another option is to buy out the damaged bike from the insurance company.  My bud did that with his street glide. Company did not brand the bike and he got it back for $12000, after a pay out of $24,000. Needed a $3,000 paint job and a few chrome dudads to make it mint again. so he got a un branded bike back to mint and made around $8,000 after it was all said and done.  That is what I would try. If the company brands the bike, then forget about buying it back. Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »

If it were me, I would buy the blue '14 CVO, but if you don't like that one then I would go for the '14 Limited. Some nice features on the new bikes. I also like starting with 0 miles on my bikes so I know how they were taken care of. You can't go wrong with either decision though.  Good luck and glad to hear no broken bones.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »

Hands down I would buy the '14 if its close to the same money. The small problems they are having WILL be worked out......hey its got a 2yr freebe. 4 yrs and 17K is giving up a bunch!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »

Hands down I would buy the '14 if its close to the same money. The small problems they are having WILL be worked out......hey its got a 2yr freebe. 4 yrs and 17K is giving up a bunch!!!!

I'm with you on this 2K.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »

If the biggest issue is color, paint the 2014, living near Daytona gives you a variety of custom painters that can make that bike look exactly as you want it.  The mods you describe can be handled rea$onably as well, and as nice as the 2010 is, if you can come out "for approximately the same price", the newer model will be worth much more should you decide to trade after all.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »

If the biggest issue is color, paint the 2014, living near Daytona gives you a variety of custom painters that can make that bike look exactly as you want it.  The mods you describe can be handled rea$onably as well, and as nice as the 2010 is, if you can come out "for approximately the same price", the newer model will be worth much more should you decide to trade after all.

OWL

OWL hit something I never considered.......what's it worth????? The '14 is worth 3/4XXXX as soon as it leaves the door. The '10 is woth 1/2XXXX. Also, if you decide on the '10, Dream Machines is like any other dealer in that they will hold back something. I worked with them for 2 weeks on a '13 SERK and finally told them I had found one a little cheaper and they said "Good luck, good bye." 4 days later as I was standing at the dealer signing papers, my phone rings and it was 'Mike' from Dream Machines.....Good News he says I found some more money. Good luck & good bye was my reply. 
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »

Lance, you got a deleema dilima problem here but looks like there have been lots of good comments and advice.  

My two cents....wait on the 2014 and take the 2010.  Yes, the problems are few with the new water buffalo but there are problems none the less.  While we have quite a few here on the forum in the form of water head 2014's, it's still a good idea to wait out the first couple years on a new design/model.  Yes, the MoCo has a bad track record with fixing things over the years but still....

I like the idea CVO2 had with buying your total back and taking all the good parts off it OR rebuilding.  Have seen that work out very well with friends over the years.  This may not be an option for you and your insurance company but worth checking into.

Whatever you decide good luck and keep us up to date on your decision.... :2vrolijk_21:

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »

Lance,

Not exactly a consensus is it?  Sorry about that, but the great thing about this forum is that you will get honest, worthwhile feedback. 2k and Haird are well respected contributors here and even though they disagree, their opinions (and all others) are offered sincerely. Whatever your decision, our support remains.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »

Dream Machines is like any other dealer in that they will hold back something. I worked with them for 2 weeks on a '13 SERK and finally told them I had found one a little cheaper and they said "Good luck, good bye." 4 days later as I was standing at the dealer signing papers, my phone rings and it was 'Mike' from Dream Machines.....Good News he says I found some more money. Good luck & good bye was my reply. 

Jimmy, that would be my response as well....you'da thunk dealers would be more better at working with us in these days.  It's just too easy to find a better deal FAST on the interweb.  They lost a buyer and some respect, too.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »

First - glad you weren't hurt too badly after your accident.  It sounds like it could have been much worse!

I recently went through a similar situation - my 2003 Heritage Springer was totaled out by my insurance company, and I accepted the cashout option.  Then I kept watching the auction site that resold the wrecked bike.  

It seems appropriate to give recognition to the emotional attachment that you had to your 2010.  I assume you had it since new?  I replaced my Heritage Springer with a 2009 CVO Softail Springer - a completely different bike.  And to this day, I still give consideration to selling it.  In fact, I recently bought a 2006 Softail Springer Classic - essentially the same as the 03, with a black front end and lack of factory saddlebags.  Anyway...I digress.

By considering the exact same bike, albeit with higher mileage, you've lost out on an opportunity to purchase 4 years' of technological advances, which in 2014 were significant.  Personally, I don't think I could pass that by.  With a 2014, you're getting a new warranty, a bike with zero history, and a clean slate to do things differently, if you choose.  Pre-Rushmore offerings are getting no younger, and while they're still significant in numbers, we'll all soon be facing the problem that parts are no longer going to target older baggers.  The main focus will be on the 2014+ models.  It seems crazy, but even when looking for parts for my "new-to-me" springer classic, most Softail parts from MOCO don't reach back that far.

There is debate about the minimal differences between the 2014 Limited and the 2014 CVO Limited, but that's an old discussion.  Some feel that MOCO closed the gap between the two that there is less value gained for the increased pricetag.  That again, is a personal decision.

It's a tough decision - my 2010 CVO Glide (used to be a Street, now a Road) is invaluable to me.  If I had to replace it, I'm not sure what direction I'd go.  

Good luck!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »

If you bought the bike back from the insurance company and repaired it would the title be marked salvage?  I think that would affect the resell value of the bike if you decide to sell it later.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 20 queries.