Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91285 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:26:08 AM »

After a lot of help from the CVO Forum and some of the Indies here, we decided to go this route for a "Sport Touring" '09 SERG with dependability / longevity as the primary focus;
(If S&S made a 124 in Granite, I'd already have one!)

HD Cases, Line Honed, Timken, Hefty Lefty

HD High Tensile Cylinder Studs

S&S Crank w/ non-tapered rods

Wiseco / RP 4.125 Forged Flat-top Pistons

Revolution Performance Nicasil Cylinders

Feuling Oil Pump

Feuling Cam Plate w/ Zippers Dual Piston Hydraulic Tensioners

S&S Premium Lifters

T-Man 625 Cams

SE Adjustable Pushrods

T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads, 10.4-1 c/r

Cometic .030 Head Gaskets

SE Forged Rocker Arm Supports

S&S Roller Rockers

SE 58mm Throttle Body (Port Matched) 5.3 Injectors

V&H PowerDuals, Roland Sands Design Tracker Slip-ons

Power Commander V / Autotune

Will go to the latest style compensator or sprocket when this (new)one wears out

SE High Performance Clutch Spring (looking for suggestions if the spring doesn't hold it ?)

Baker DD7 (Oasis Cycles has unbeatable pricing on Baker Products :bananarock:)

Cases / Cylinders on the way to Oasis Cycle in Brandon, MS for Machining / Bearings

Heads / Throttle Body on the way to T-Man Performance

What am I forgetting????

Any suggestions / comments are appreciated

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:06:33 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: 113" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:42:11 AM »

looks good

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:15:41 AM »

I see money being spent on a few things that is going to offer no real upside for your build,.. HD studs,  Axtell bypass , etc  ,... but over all solid looking build should run well . Never messed with those slip ons I hope your money invested in the build does not get wasted due to another poor muffler. That would be a shame.. Look forward to see the final product.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:00:39 AM »

I'd put a real tuner on it----not a fan of PCV on a build like yours.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »

I see money being spent on a few things that is going to offer no real upside for your build,.. HD studs,  Axtell bypass , etc  ,... but over all solid looking build should run well . Never messed with those slip ons I hope your money invested in the build does not get wasted due to another poor muffler. That would be a shame.. Look forward to see the final product.

Nobody has ever messed with the RSD Slip ons because they are so expensive (over $ 725. for friggin' mufflers?) They were on the bike when I got it, otherwise I wouldn't have spent that kind of dough on mufflers that nobody has ever heard of. If the RSDs don't tune out properly, I will go with the stock CVO cans / FullSac Baffles, or another set of mufflers that you guys recommend for this build.

The HD studs were suggested to me by my Dealer that is going to stand behind the bike (they're only about $30. w/ my discount), The Axtell Bypass, was my idea (Fueling puts them in their high$$ camplate) and was one of those "while we're at it" type deals... edit; going with the Feuling Cam Plate & Oil Pump.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to justify or be contrary, (I remember, I asked for the input.) I tell about the people / vendors here; " these guys are building (motors) for people all over the planet, they are on the cutting edge, they know what works, and what doesn't and are kind enough to take the time to share"... To me, it don't get any better than that....

I feel very fortunate to be a member of the CVO forum, as it is a GREAT resource for me, and the people that I have met through this site have been GREAT also!!!

Sincere Thanks,
Ed    
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:17:15 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »

Interested to see how this one turns out. Good luck and keep us up to date. Sure the direction I am thinking too with maybe less cam.

David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »

I'd put a real tuner on it----not a fan of PCV on a build like yours.

If it doesn't work out for me, I'll be giving Doc a call...

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »

We have similar CVO 113 build plans. Currently I have a 2011 CVO RGU with Fullsac X-pipe and 2" cores and TTS Mastertune, which is a nice set-up.

Here is my build components:
Kury TC-24D Cams
S&S Premium Lifters
SE billet cam plate w/ Axtell Oil Bypass and Red Shift Chain Tensioners, B-168 Bearings
S&S Quickie Adjustable push rods
Goodson/AV&V Beehive Spring Set (.600)
V&H Power Dual Exhaust
Kury Mellow Crusher Mufflers
Revolution Performance 113 Bolt-on kit with Wiseco Piston Kit (10.5:1 Ratio/ 4.060 Bore)
SE 58MM TB with SE Pro High Flow Injector Kit
Cometic .030 head gaskets
Energy One Performance Clutch (installed)
Aim 480 Spring with ClutchWiz (installed)
2014 SE Compensator (installed)
Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner (installed)
Jagg Oil Cooler (installed)
Jim's Forceflow (installed)

WFOLarry is doing my headwork including 2.120 intake valves and AV&V Bronze Guides and also working the SE 58MM TB. Flow will be 315+. I got the SE billet cam because I have the RSD Clarity cam (and derby) covers. I am thinking about adding the S&S cylinder studs and the Baker 31T-07 Final Drive Pulley (no need to change the belt). The Kury Crusher/V&H Power Duals with the Kury TC-24D cam have generated strong performance based on Dynos I have seen. GMR makes a similar cam (Genesis 577) with strong performance as well.

We will both see how everything comes together.
124 137HP/147TQ

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »

We have similar CVO 113 build plans. Currently I have a 2011 CVO RGU with Fullsac X-pipe and 2" cores and TTS Mastertune, which is a nice set-up.

Here is my build components:
Kury TC-24D Cams
S&S Premium Lifters
SE billet cam plate w/ Axtell Oil Bypass and Red Shift Chain Tensioners, B-168 Bearings
S&S Quickie Adjustable push rods
Goodson/AV&V Beehive Spring Set (.600)
V&H Power Dual Exhaust
Kury Mellow Crusher Mufflers
Revolution Performance 113 Bolt-on kit with Wiseco Piston Kit (10.5:1 Ratio/ 4.060 Bore)
SE 58MM TB with SE Pro High Flow Injector Kit
Cometic .030 head gaskets
Energy One Performance Clutch (installed)
Aim 480 Spring with ClutchWiz (installed)
2014 SE Compensator (installed)
Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner (installed)
Jagg Oil Cooler (installed)
Jim's Forceflow (installed)

WFOLarry is doing my headwork including 2.120 intake valves and AV&V Bronze Guides and also working the SE 58MM TB. Flow will be 315+. I got the SE billet cam because I have the RSD Clarity cam (and derby) covers. I am thinking about adding the S&S cylinder studs and the Baker 31T-07 Final Drive Pulley (no need to change the belt). The Kury Crusher/V&H Power Duals with the Kury TC-24D cam have generated strong performance based on Dynos I have seen. GMR makes a similar cam (Genesis 577) with strong performance as well.

We will both see how everything comes together.

Very similar builds, we have both picked out a lot of the same components, (my pistons are coming from Revolution as well) the Kury 24s were on my radar, and seem to have similar characteristics to the 625s, having T-Man do the heads is what swayed me to the 625s.

I didn't know that the Clutch Wiz would work with a hydraulic clutch?

The RSD Clairity covers are pimp!

Sometimes I wish that I would have gotten the '11 Ultra like yours, instead of the '09. I guess that I wanted the cartoon colors of the '09...

Hope we cross paths sometime!

Good Luck!  

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »

Agree with Steve on the studs

Better than half the case repairs ive done including a couple Jims engines had the high tens studs installed.....I do not think they really stretch like they are supposed to ....id just snag a set of replacement studs
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:29 PM »

Ed, got a question on the pistons and might be a stupid one. The piston set that Rev sells are a flat top and I like that idea over the Suburban Speed 10.5 pistons. This is where the stupid part might come in.... how compatible are the Revolution pistons, that I am guessing are for their sprayed liners, with the cast liner of the Harley cyls or is it not a problem?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »

Ed, got a question on the pistons and might be a stupid one. The piston set that Rev sells are a flat top and I like that idea over the Suburban Speed 10.5 pistons. This is where the stupid part might come in.... how compatible are the Revolution pistons, that I am guessing are for their sprayed liners, with the cast liner of the Harley cyls or is it not a problem?

Flat-tops are the way to go.

'Got the boys from Oasis Cycle to source the pistons (from Revolution), as Oasis is doing all the machine work (except for T-Man's CNC headwork).

Either Wiseco or CP makes them. (Wiseco also makes some of the SE pistons).

Long story short, 'not exactly sure :nixweiss:

'Will have the part number soon, and will make sure that I get it to you.   

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »

Agree with Steve on the studs

Better than half the case repairs ive done including a couple Jims engines had the high tens studs installed.....I do not think they really stretch like they are supposed to ....id just snag a set of replacement studs

It's interesting to me that the GM at my Dealer mentioned yesterday about properly installing the HT studs w/ red Loctite, and setting the depth as they have no "shoulders".

What caused the case repairs that you are referring to?

Is there any certain amount of times that head studs can be re-torqued (like a '1' -use bolt) ???

On your recommendation, I will get some replacement studs.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »

:biggthumpup: Please keep us up on this build. For those of us that have the granite motors this sure sounds like the most cost effective way for us to gain a few cubes and still keep our bikes looking like they are supposed to. I keep thinking some day Mother Harley will remember us and release a granite 120. Till then this sounds like the ticket.

David

I will say I have made a few calls to S&S about building a 116 off our 4.0 bore jugs but all they do is laugh as soon as you mention a 110

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »

:biggthumpup: Please keep us up on this build. For those of us that have the granite motors this sure sounds like the most cost effective way for us to gain a few cubes and still keep our bikes looking like they are supposed to. I keep thinking some day Mother Harley will remember us and release a granite 120. Till then this sounds like the ticket.

David

I will say I have made a few calls to S&S about building a 116 off our 4.0 bore jugs but all they do is laugh as soon as you mention a 110

Hell, I was ready to offer S&S my first born for a Granite 124 :nixweiss:

I was happy with the SE Stage III Pro Kit, until ESP denied a claim. So I got together with my Dealer, Heritage Cycles Harley Davidson in Ft. Walton Beach that I have a Great relationship over 12 years and he is giving me full credit on any parts that I want to upgrade, a discount on the upgrade parts, covering the labor and standing behind the motor.

The boys at Oasis were suggesting the Revolution 117 cylinders (granite). Oasis assured me that they had built a bunch of Revolution (Nikasil) motors and haven't had any problems, but mainly because of my deal with my Dealer, I decided to go this route.

'Have ridden the S&S 117 and it is a torque monster, but I should be able to get a ticket just about anywhere I need to get one, with this 113 :bananarock:

Oasis built an open check book plus 113 / DD7 for my good friend's Skunk last year, and it is a rocket (almost 40k miles already), but since he has a black motor, he has a S&S 124 on the shelf (no kidding).

S&S told me that even though they do not produce the 113 kit, there were no mechanical reasons (over heating, stability, harmonics etc...) why they did not pursue this size motor.

The S&S crank assy. looks to me, to be a very cost effective alternative to Darkhorse / Silvermoon. Time will tell...

The 120Rs are ok if you: check the cases, Timken, build the crank, install good rods, lifters, work the heads, cams, all the stuff that a 110 needs to be a bulletproof performer :nervous:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:22:55 PM by FlaHeatWave »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.