Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91296 times)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: 113" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »

Ed,
Keep a positive attitude.
Assembled properly, etc. you should have NO head gasket problems....front or rear.
If your head guy picks a certain head gasket, I would go with it. If not it certainly pays to ask.
The person who modifies your parts should let you know what thickness head gasket you need to use, based on your input of what you want for final compression. Then YOU need to check the figures.
We o-ring the cylinders, and heads on Jap race motors when using power adders. Harleys, I haven't done so, because we USUALLY don't run a lot of boost, or a big load of nitrous.
John

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »

TR should have some good answers for you about head gasket size. thats why i went with one of his package deals, plus to many hands on it & it gets to crazy :-X for my old brain
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »

Ed,
Keep a positive attitude.
John

We all know Murphy's Law...

Ed's Law; Murphy was a friggin' Optimist  :nervous: LOL!

The glass is always half full with me!

I don't know if the new cases come with the studs already installed?

If the cases don't come with the studs installed, I'm sure that my Tech took the High Tensile Studs (torqued 1 time) from the damaged cases and properly installed them in the new cases.

From what I read here, it's best to leave whatever studs are in the new cases at this point? It seems that the benefits (if any) of the HT studs are outweighed by the risk of damaging the cases or improper installation?

Before the input from this thread, I asked Oasis Cycles (working the cases and cylinders ~ we are not boring the cases for o/s jugs) if they wanted me to remove the studs, and Mark said to just leave them in. Later I asked Oasis to also mock up and check / set the deck height and get T.R. all the info that he needs for his headwork.

John, that picture of you is AWESOME!!!  :2vrolijk_21: A hellava launch, what a ride... I bet launching that Monster is a feeling like no other... :pepper:
What are the #s?

Thanks again!
Ed 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 11:46:34 PM »

TR should have some good answers for you about head gasket size. thats why i went with one of his package deals, plus to many hands on it & it gets to crazy :-X for my old brain

fastfreddy, I agree with you 110%! That is definitely the way to go! and I'm sure that the Builders prefer it that way also. (less finger pointing if/when there are issues), and you know the old saying about too many cooks spoiling the pot...

T.R. got the heads yesterday, the SE 58mm TB is shipping to him 1/27, I am going to wait until he receives the TB before I take up any more of his time...
'Just going to ask him to source the Cometics, give me the p/n(for my parts list) and send the gaskets back with the heads.

The only reason that I went this route, was my deal with my Dealer, and the resources available to me.

I have put a lot of pressure on myself (my Dad was a Sr. Master Chief Machinist Mate, I was a Mechanic for almost 20 yrs)  to spec out the proper components, get everybody on the same page, and minimize issues during final assembly.
Don't get me wrong, it's freezing (had sleet yesterday) here in NW Florida, so the riding is minimal, and I'm having a blast, learning tons with this build!!!

With the Professionalism, Craftsmanship, and Cutting Edge Knowledge,(and oh yea, patience w/me :nixweiss:) of Oasis Cycles, T-Man Performance, and (yes) My Dealer, Heritage Cycles Harley-Davidson of Ft. Walton Beach, FL, I expect little, if any, issues :coolblue:  

Ed

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:48:07 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »

I have a spare set of cyl's sitting on top of my tool box waiting to see the outcome! Thinking your going to be very happy with the build
David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »

Ed,
It sounds like you're on the right track.
The picture is my daughter-in- law. ADRL's fastest woman on 2 wheels, and first women world champion in that sanction. She has run a best of 4.02 @ 180.21.
John

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »

The picture is my daughter-in- law. ADRL's fastest woman on 2 wheels, and first women world champion in that sanction. She has run a best of 4.02 @ 180.21.
John

At this point I'm just sweatin' the small (clearance) stuff on the heads / cylinders. Hopefully, we can all stay on the same page...

Sounds like a fun family.
Congrats to all on the Racing Program!
'Would love to see y'all run, if you're still doin' it...
World Class #s!!!

Ed
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:32:01 PM by FlaHeatWave »

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »

Still at it.
John

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »

Still at it.
John

What circuit / tracks do y'all run?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »

Oasis built an open check book plus 113 / DD7 for my good friend's Skunk last year, and it is a rocket (almost 40k miles already), but since he has a black motor, he has a S&S 124 on the shelf (no kidding).

Was that motor built with the factory cyl's or was it built off the Revolution platform.
The 117 would actually be my choice of builds and probably have more fear of the base gasket on the o-ring 110 case than I do the Nikasil cyl's.

David,
Factory Cylinders ~ Everybody including S&S told me that there were no mechanical reasons, that boring the stock cylinders .060 was fine. And the cases don't require boring.

The Boys at Oasis tell me that they haven't seen any issues (sealing or otherwise) with the Revolution stuff

'Gave the Revolution 117 a good bit of consideration, cost was a factor (definitely need a clutch then :pepper:,) My Dealer was also a factor (I promised him that I would be conservative if he would stand behind it :nervous:), have a stock looking motor, and I was satisfied with the performance of the Stage III in the '09.(The '01 Switchblade traps around 120 :bananarock:) All things considered, I figured that this build would be understressed and still be fun to ride.

My deal with this build was a little bit different, if I was to go to one source (Builder), that does a good many 117 'kits' then I would have given the 117 a lot more consideration.  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:45:14 PM by FlaHeatWave »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »

Save a good parts list for me....lol. I may need some in the future.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »

Save a good parts list for me....lol. I may need some in the future.

Already working on it  :coolblue:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Will have two of the 113 builds done here soon, you need to take a road trip. we can go for a spin :vrolijk27:
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »

Talked with a guy the other day that you we starting or maybe just finishing up
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.