CVO Technical > Electronic Toys and Gadgets

Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers

(1/11) > >>

hd-dude:
I did an install today of the Hawg Wired amp setup in Erniezap's SEEG. Before we installed the amps We installed the Hawg Wired speakers (he already has the Hog tunes)and compared them with my bike. Listening to a couple of different cd's at the same volume, bass, & treble settings on the two bikes (mine with Hog Tunes and his with Hawg Wired) we compared the two. We both felt that the Hog Tunes speakers had a more full sound in the mid bass and bass ranges. They were not as clear on the upper mids high ranges. The Hog Tunes seemed to play a bit louder than the Hawg Wired. The Hawg Wired clearly outperformed the Hog Tunes in the mids and upper range. Very clear crisp highs. The Hog Tunes were better in the lows.

I then installed the Hawg Wired Amps into the SEEG. WOW!! The volume increase is substantial. Very clean clear sound!

I compared both the Hog Tunes and the Hawg Wired with the amp driving them. Our sound impressions of both speakers were very similar. The Hawg Wired speakers seemed to handle the highest volumes better but did not have as much bass response. The bass started to break up on the Hog Tunes at the higher volumes.

An important note.. Our sound testing was all done in the shop, not on the road.

In conclusion Ernie decided to stay with the Hog Tunes for now as they had the better bass response. If I had a choice I'm not sure which way I would go. There are pros and cons with both speakers sets. The Hawg wired has better upper end and the Hog Tunes has better bass response.

Thanks Ernie!!!

sefatboyscott:
Tunes in the back and wired in the fronts would sound like a great set up for Ultra owners!

erniezap:

--- Quote ---I did an install today of the Hawg Wired amp setup in Erniezap's SEEG. Before we installed the amps We installed the Hawg Wired speakers (he already has the Hog tunes)and compared them with my bike. Listening to a couple of different cd's at the same volume, bass, & treble settings on the two bikes (mine with Hog Tunes and his with Hawg Wired) we compared the two. We both felt that the Hog Tunes speakers had a more full sound in the mid bass and bass ranges. They were not as clear on the upper mids high ranges. The Hog Tunes seemed to play a bit louder than the Hawg Wired. The Hawg Wired clearly outperformed the Hog Tunes in the mids and upper range. Very clear crisp highs. The Hog Tunes were better in the lows.

I then installed the Hawg Wired Amps into the SEEG. WOW!! The volume increase is substantial. Very clean clear sound!

I compared both the Hog Tunes and the Hawg Wired with the amp driving them. Our sound impressions of both speakers were very similar. The Hawg Wired speakers seemed to handle the highest volumes better but did not have as much bass response. The bass started to break up on the Hog Tunes at the higher volumes.

An important note.. Our sound testing was all done in the shop, not on the road.

In conclusion Ernie decided to stay with the Hog Tunes for now as they had the better bass response. If I had a choice I'm not sure which way I would go. There are pros and cons with both speakers sets. The Hawg wired has better upper end and the Hog Tunes has better bass response.

Thanks Ernie!!!
--- End quote ---

I am in total agreement with Jim regarding the speakers.  Some comments:
- At 80-90 MPH I had the volume about half way and it was loud and I could even hear the words!  The amp is expensive
   but worth the money since it is entirely in the fairing
- The Hog Tunes sounded okay at speed but I don't know if they're going to last since they seem to be working pretty
   hard
- I'd like to hear the Hawg-Wired speakers at speed to hear the difference

I guess I'll have to talk to Jim and see if we can do a "highway test" of the Hawg-Wired speakers.  My gut feel is that the Hawg-Wired are a better mid/high speaker (definitely a lot clearer and you can hear individual piano or guitar notes) which may be what we need on the bikes since you have enough low end coming from the exhaust and the wind is dissapating the lows as well.

Twolanerider:
Ernie, I'm supposed to have a set of the Hawg Wired speakers delivered sometime this week and will do the "highway comparison test" for you sometime shortly thereafter.  I got really lucky and Jim (here) and Paul (at Hawg-Wired) were kind enough to send me a set of speakers free just for having shared the details of my installation on the site here so that others could use it if need be.  After I get them in hand will do some swapping back and forth and see what the differences sound like.

Jim, in a phone call the other day Paul mentioned a "new" speaker they'll be releasing sometime in the near future.  From his description there it ought to be something that is markedly better than the roughly even-up comparison we seem to be experiencing between the current HawgWired speakers and the HogTunes.  When those become available to the dealers be sure and drop the word.

hd-dude:

--- Quote ---Ernie, I'm supposed to have a set of the Hawg Wired speakers delivered sometime this week and will do the "highway comparison test" for you sometime shortly thereafter.  I got really lucky and Jim (here) and Paul (at Hawg-Wired) were kind enough to send me a set of speakers free just for having shared the details of my installation on the site here so that others could use it if need be.  After I get them in hand will do some swapping back and forth and see what the differences sound like.

Jim, in a phone call the other day Paul mentioned a "new" speaker they'll be releasing sometime in the near future.  From his description there it ought to be something that is markedly better than the roughly even-up comparison we seem to be experiencing between the current HawgWired speakers and the HogTunes.  When those become available to the dealers be sure and drop the word.
--- End quote ---

I sure will Don, The new speaker will be out in the next couple of months. I spoke at lenth about them with Paul. He asked that the details not be disclosed until they are released for sale ::)

As far as the comparision I installed another Hawg Wired setup in Kingsalmon's SEEG today. He elected to go with the Hawg Wired Speakers. After listening to them more today I think that the increased clarity and crisp mids and highs will out weight the added bass of the Hog Tunes. I need to save up the $'s to get a setup for myself!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version