Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disappointed In The Chroming  (Read 2191 times)

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Disappointed In The Chroming
« on: August 04, 2019, 01:40:36 PM »

I was cleaning my bike and noticed that my rear wheel is really badly pitted, the side covers are slightly pitted and the rear mirrors just look like crap.  I had noticed the mirrors for awhile but the others snuck up on me. I usually clean the bike good once a year and I know and expect some of this but, really this sucks.  I am going to try to polish some of this out. I know I probably don't  wax it as much as most of you but I do enjoy riding it more than cleaning it. I moved to Jacksonville fl. in late 2017 so I wonder if that has caused more issues or is this just normal on the bikes now. The painted areas look great!  Anyway just venting a little. Still love this bike more than any other I have had!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Disappointed In The Chroming
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 02:55:48 PM »

On the wheels, etc. salt & grime can cause pitting if left too long. Salt air in JAX as a culprit?

Good luck getting like you want it.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »

I noticed some time ago my old 96 WG chrome is better than the newer bike. Just another cheapening of the Moco.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »

Sorry, Ron but this one is on you. Any vehicle ridden or driven near the ocean or kept in a city like Jacksonville, Florida is subject to the salt air from the ocean and the chrome will corrode. I clean my bike and especially all the chrome anytime I ride near the ocean.  :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »

Factor in brake dust is not kind to chrome

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »

Funny thing about blaming these things on salt air, it didn't used to be that way back when chrome plating was done properly.  I lived in Virginia Beach for about sixteen years (76-92), and had several vehicles and bikes over that time.  None of them had pitting or flaking chrome, and I did not keep them in hermetically sealed chambers.  The first two years I lived in an apartment with no garage and the bike and cars lived outdoors.  No issues with chrome.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:10:27 PM »

Only once a year to remove brake dust? I think you are doing good if the chrome isn't gone. Metallic particles in the damp humidity of Florida laying there on the chrome for any length of time...Your gonna have pitting.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:23:42 AM »

I have lived near the beach for the last 13 years and I wash my bikes and dry them as Greg says. Only my CVO has any pitting, really just the CVO mirrors. My old bike nothing. I agree with Jerry.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »

Thanks for all the input.  I have been hear almost 2 years and the other 3 were in Atlanta.   I lived in Savannah for 9 years and never had this and I know I didn't always clean then either but the bike was a lot easier to clean.  I washed my bike pretty regular but it is almost impossible to get to the rear wheel so I put her up on a jack to clean her good. I just figure I don't do any different with my cars etc. and don't have any issues with the wheels, bumpers, etc.  due to brake dust or salt.  I am sure I can do better but didn't think I really had too!  Oh well i will polish her up and see how it goes.  Luckily you can't see the rear wheel anyway so i can focus on the other items more.  A little sad but still love to ride my girl Jessie!

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 09:54:49 AM »

I also live in Jacksonville Fl, but have no issues with chrome pitting on any of my Harleys. Maybe you live closer to the ocean than I do. I do know the salt will cause you problems. Bike Week 93 I did ride on the beach in Daytona & didn't wash it for a few days & was left with a souvenir to remind me of the 1st Bike Week I went to. The transmission cover chrome is pitted, so now I wash the bikes  whenever I travel along the coast.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »

As you said I have a reminder.  My 2010 CVO Convertible had some of the Chrome peel away but other than that this is the first time.   Thanks to all for letting me vent a little!   

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »

I was cleaning my bike and noticed that my rear wheel is really badly pitted, the side covers are slightly pitted and the rear mirrors just look like crap.  I had noticed the mirrors for awhile but the others snuck up on me. I usually clean the bike good once a year and I know and expect some of this but, really this sucks.  I am going to try to polish some of this out. I know I probably don't  wax it as much as most of you but I do enjoy riding it more than cleaning it. I moved to Jacksonville fl. in late 2017 so I wonder if that has caused more issues or is this just normal on the bikes now. The painted areas look great!  Anyway just venting a little. Still love this bike more than any other I have had!

Hold my 🍺
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 25 queries.