Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch clunk  (Read 1755 times)

07springer

Clutch clunk
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »

My clutch has a clunk most every time when starting out in 1st on my 07 fxstsse,it is not worn parts as there is only 2k miles and has always done it,changed fluid several times,clutch is smooth as silk other than that annoyance.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Don
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:09:18 PM by 07springer »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Clutch clunk
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »

My clutch has a clunk most every time when starting out in 1st on my 07 fxstsse,it is not worn parts as there is only 2k miles and has always done it,changed fluid several times,clutch is smooth as silk other than that annoyance.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Don

Don, are you talking about a clunk when you put the bike in first from neutral, or do you mean you get a clunk in first gear as you release the clutch?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

07springer

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »

When releasing the clutch
Thanks Don

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »

When releasing the clutch
Thanks Don

I would suspect the compensator, especially if the bike still has the stock '07 part.  They were infamous for insufficient spring pressure and travel, thus they would bottom out easily when starting or when releasing the clutch.  You will likely need to update your compensator to the latest version; you may want to wait and check after August 19th when Harley is supposedly going to announce the latest version.  Check some of the threads on this site about the compensator issues.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

07springer

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:17:05 PM »

I think you nailed it Jerry, it has the stock comp that kicks bad when starting,I purchased a upgraded one with the spring dampers,and am waiting until this winter to install it,I didn't  reaLize the two issues would be related.
Your input was very helpful and appreciated.
Don

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.