Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch Master Cylinder  (Read 3358 times)

1066sec

Clutch Master Cylinder
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »

Anyone had clutch master cylinder failure? Mine failed after 16,500 miles and less than 3 months out of warranty. Dealership wasn't interested, nor was H-D UK. One month to source and fit a replacement at almost £500. No repair kit available for the master cylinder. Not what I expected when going for a top of the range model.

aveagle2

Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »

What year bike?  There's a recall on just announced on 2014 models with hydraulic clutches that may effect some 2013s as well.
2014 FLHRSE6
2011 FLTRUSE (traded)
2010 FLHR (traded)
2008 FXSTSSE2 (traded)
2004 FXSTD (traded - bought it back)

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »

I replaced my top cover and noticed water had gotten in, could be what caused the failure???
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »

Fluid went bad in my 07 SERK, Still not sure caused that.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »

hyd clutch parts are sometimes very hard to get because they are only on a relatively very few bikes - 90 plus percent have cable clutch. even in the uk the cable clutch parts would be very easy to get. at least in comparison to hydraulic clutch parts.

i had hyd clutch on one bike, I'm back to cable now.

history - i always hated the cables since the damn things break so i once had a hydraulic clutch harley - however if you always carry a vice grip and a few tools - you can shorten the sheath and use the vice grip to pull the cable and get home - when the hydraulic system goes to hell - its just a PILE of money to get it home and fixed.

so while i hate the cable - ill stick with cable. at least for the near future - if they perfect the hydraulic system so its really better id switch.

i wonder if you could retro fit a hydraulic clutch bike to cable? it might be a wash for price and take less time????

to

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »

hyd clutch parts are sometimes very hard to get because they are only on a relatively very few bikes - 90 plus percent have cable clutch. even in the uk the cable clutch parts would be very easy to get. at least in comparison to hydraulic clutch parts.

i had hyd clutch on one bike, I'm back to cable now.

history - i always hated the cables since the damn things break so i once had a hydraulic clutch harley - however if you always carry a vice grip and a few tools - you can shorten the sheath and use the vice grip to pull the cable and get home - when the hydraulic system goes to hell - its just a PILE of money to get it home and fixed.

so while i hate the cable - ill stick with cable. at least for the near future - if they perfect the hydraulic system so its really better id switch.

i wonder if you could retro fit a hydraulic clutch bike to cable? it might be a wash for price and take less time????

to

You can retrofit from hydraulic to cable but it will require more than a few parts to do so.  It would cost him a lot more than what it will cost to fix his master cylinder.  I wouldn't consider it myself, since hydraulic is a much better system (when done right).  Sadly this is one more area where Harley is sucking hind teat compared to the rest of the civilized world.  I had an excellent hydraulic clutch on a Honda in the 80's, and of course these days most companies use hydraulic clutches on all their bikes.  Cars and trucks used hydraulic clutches for decades as well.  But as we should all know by now, when Harley takes any technology that is mature and pretty much bug free from the auto industry or their competitors they seem to manage to screw it up.  It's rather telling that their first attempt to expand the hydraulic clutch to the entire lineup rather than just the CVO's resulted in a recall.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.