Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) Jacket and Pants review  (Read 48311 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) Jacket and Pants review
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

Terrie and I have had the Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves for years.  However, yesterday we invested in a little more comfort....the Gerbing eXtreme Element heated jacket and pants.

In less than 24 hours I have to say it's probably some of the best riding gear I've ever bought. Some of the specs:

»   Rugged 330-denier Cordura
»   Ballistic-grade Cordura in the shoulders and elbows
»   Polyurethane coating, heat-sealed seams and waterproof zippered pockets
»   Reflective piping plus full reflective back panel and on chest pockets
»   Additional pockets below the belt line add to your storage capacity
»   Zippered hand-warmer pockets are standard
»   CE-rated removable Knox armor in the shoulders, elbows and spine

My observations and experience after a short 75 mile day ride this morning.....compared to leathers, much lighter weight yet warmer and dryer.  It has a waist belt that loops back at the front opening, to either side and secures with velcro type hook and loop fasterners.  The cuffs at the wrist as well as at the ankles have large velcro type bands to cinch up the cuffs to the riders comfort.

This outfit is designed to wear a light undergarment but not jeans (although some wear jeans under them).  Wanting to test it in the mode it was designed for, I wore thin sweat pants and a t-shirt to experience it's full effect.

Using our existing dual controller, I have to say it was very, very comfortable.  We started out at about 38F and it was 45F when we returned.  We were very comfortable the full extent of our ride.  The waist belt on the jacket provided us a place to hook the dual controller and so that wasn't an issue and provided us the opportunity to control the pants and jacket/gloves seperately.

The icing on the cake for this outfit is that it serves the dual purpose of a rain suit!  So while you're staying warm, you're also staying dry.  Chuck rode from San Mateo to our home here in Elk Grove in the rain last night.  He was totally dry and the outfit appeared to be dry and had very little water on it.  The water seems to bead up and run right off.....it sheds water very, very well!

I would recommend this outfit to anybody that rides year around or has to ride in the cold temps or the rain.  A perfect outfit for those that commute on their bike year around (Ernie, Magoo, etc.).

I had opportunity to talk with Jeff Gerbing at length.  I asked Jeff if he had any plans for a wireless temp. controller.  He said that there is, in fact, a remote controller in the works and will be available for release in Sept. 2012.  It is not like the competitors.  This controller is a four channel controller.  You'll be able to control different temp. levels on four different items (jacket, gloves, pants, boot insoles) at the same time.  And each channel will have a memory.  So if you set the jacket at 72F and the gloves at 76F, etc. the controller will remember that.  Sounds pretty interesting and of course, he was very excited about it just describing it to us.

Also, In the past, if you bought your Gerbing gear from a retailer and not directly from Gerbing, you had to have a receipt in order to get warranty work done on the item.  That's no longer the case.  Jeff learned about that and put a stop to it.  If his name is on it, it has a lifetime warranty......no receipt necessary regardless of who you bought it from!

Here's a link to the XE (eXtreme Element) gear......  http://gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/extreme%20element%20jacket.php   

I'm sure somebody else here has experienced the XE gear and they can share their experience.  I thought I'd write this as I'd never seen a review on this forum for the XE.  Check it out......it's well worth it. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) Jacket and Pants review
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »

I snapped some pics of Terrie during our ride today, to show you the XE outfit being worn by somebody you all know.....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »

Thanks for the reveiw. I've been looking at the jacket liner and gloves for cold weather riding but I'm going to look ino this now. Seeing it also works great for rain gear will mean less stuff to pack when traveling.

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »

Looks like a very good choice to add to your options for any given ride or trip.    :2vrolijk_21:

Mike

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »

Thanks for the reveiw. I've been looking at the jacket liner and gloves for cold weather riding but I'm going to look ino this now. Seeing it also works great for rain gear will mean less stuff to pack when traveling.

One of our deciding factors. :2vrolijk_21:  As far as function goes, it just can't be beat.  In the fall or spring....when it's cold in the morning but warms up mid day....the pants have a side zipper on each leg that runs the full length.    But we're not going to win any fashion show in this outfit.

Roger stopped for a few minutes when he saw us at the Gerbing booth at the show.  He said "JC, ten years ago you wouldn't be caught dead in something like that".  I agreed......yep there was a time in my younger years when it was all about speed and the "look good" no matter what the comfort (or lack of).....now I'm old enough that I can say that comfort is first priority....the "look good" comes after that. ;D

It felt really nice this morning to go down the road with temps in the high 30's and I was totally warm and comfortable without being all bogged down with layers (I had sweat pants and t-shirt under this outfit).  Lots of freedom to move around and much lighter weight than leathers, liners, layers and all that goes with that. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »

That was one popular booth, I didn't see them on my first pass but on the way out I tried to check out the XE gear but I was one of many so I just bailed. Those guys were busting their butts trying to assist everybody that was waiting and trying stuff on.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »

Terrie and I have had the Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves for years.  However, yesterday we invested in a little more comfort....the Gerbing eXtreme Element heated jacket and pants.

Here's a link to the XE (eXtreme Element) gear......  http://gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/extreme%20element%20jacket.php   

I'm sure somebody else here has experienced the XE gear and they can share their experience.  I thought I'd write this as I'd never seen a review on this forum for the XE.  Check it out......it's well worth it. :2vrolijk_21:

JC,

I'm really interested in these (jacket and pants) as I too have the liner and gloves.  Love that it's a rain suit, too.  Is there a show discount?  I'll most likely be going to the show when it comes to Long Beach in a couple of weeks.  Probably should try the goods on before buying since I'm a little mis-figured  ::) 
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »

JC,

I'm really interested in these (jacket and pants) as I too have the liner and gloves.  Love that it's a rain suit, too.  Is there a show discount?  I'll most likely be going to the show when it comes to Long Beach in a couple of weeks.  Probably should try the goods on before buying since I'm a little mis-figured  ::) 

Long Beach show sounds like another GTG opportunity Jimmy ... and others ...  :2vrolijk_21: 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

JC,

I'm really interested in these (jacket and pants) as I too have the liner and gloves.  Love that it's a rain suit, too.  Is there a show discount?  I'll most likely be going to the show when it comes to Long Beach in a couple of weeks.  Probably should try the goods on before buying since I'm a little mis-figured   ::) 

You and I are probably at opposite ends of the spectrum on this issue. ;D  But I have to try everything on also.

No, no show discount but you are able to try everything on......provided they have it in stock.  They were selling non stop on Sat. and I suspect it was the same way on Friday evening.  We were there first thing Sat. morning and they were already out of some sizes on certain styles when we got there.  Terrie and I comandered their back room where they keep stock.....to use as a dressing room to try the pants one. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »

I guess now we will have to peddle our existing liners???
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »

I just finished my first FULL day using this same gear... I opted for the LT Jacket instead of the EX but have the EX pants. The LT Jacket has the same micro wire technology and it's a hybrid... also runs on battery. My main reason for the jacket though was the form fit. The EX was just a bit long for me when in the saddle.  But I digress...

As JC said, this is probably the best gear I've ever ridden in. When I left this morning it was 30. Once I got to the Summit on I80 it was 19 degrees. I rode nearly 500 through the high desert, never over 35 degrees and landed warm and feeling great. I also had the opportunity to REALLY try it out n the rain a few nights ago... rain, low 40's for about 2 hours. COMPLETELY dry and warm when I got home. Good stuff.

Here's a pic of the LT Jacket and EX Pants.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:24:53 AM »

Thanks JC for the GREAT review and the awesome picture's!  Your wife looks very comfortable and warm!  With these clothes having wires running through them, is it still ok to roll them up tightly and put them in your saddlebags without harming the wires?  Also, does your wife like the stiffer clutch you put on her mc?  Thank again!  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »

Thanks JC for the GREAT review and the awesome picture's!  Your wife looks very comfortable and warm!  With these clothes having wires running through them, is it still ok to roll them up tightly and put them in your saddlebags without harming the wires? Also, does your wife like the stiffer clutch you put on her mc?  Thank again!  :2vrolijk_21:

:o I would never do such a thing. :o   Seiously, she's noticed a bit of a difference but the SE pressure plate isn't something she's complained about.

Yes, the heated gear can be rolled up, stuffed, etc. the same as the jacket liners.  Gerbing knows that space is an issue on motorcycles and that they're going to be put throught the test of "let's see if we can get this big jacket in that little tiny space".

As some of you know, there were issues with the unit on the inside of the jacket (where all the wires plug in).....over heating, the wires pulling out of the plug or the inside of the recepticle pulling out.  Jeff Gerbing acknowledged that issue as well and they've changed vendors.  If you have that issue, just send it back to Gerbing and they'll replace it for you. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »

Thanks for the pics of the other jacket, Cap.  Those of us who are vertically challenged can look like a Fire Plug with the wrong attire on.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »

Thanks for the pics of the other jacket, Cap.  Those of us who are vertically challenged can look like a Fire Plug with the wrong attire on.
Heh now... I like fire plugs. :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 22 queries.