Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Mounting tips for guardian bells (not belles)  (Read 9516 times)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
Mounting tips for guardian bells (not belles)
« on: December 28, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »

It appears my first guardian bell has been stolen by the road gremlins [smiley=nervous.gif].  Just noticed it this a.m. when I rode into work for an hour or so.   Needless to say, I made my wife gift me one  (i.e. I took money out of her wallet -with her full knowledge) so it would be a gift ;D.  

Bought two bells  (the other is for my new neighbor who has a RK, but no bell).

My question is, how do y'all mount them?  I had the last on tied to my right floorboard support bracket with the supplied leather staps.  I am not sure what happend to make the old one fall off, but the leather strap was still on, but no bell [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

This new one has a metal key ring attached to the hole in the bell.  I guess I  will buy some additional leather cord and perhaps double tie it, to ensure I stay safe from the road demons. ;D
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Re: Mounting tips for guardian bells (not belles)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 06:30:29 PM »

I attach mine to the metal part of the throttle cable up near the handlebar with safety wire. I leave just enough room for it to move a little bit. Never lost one this way.

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 07:37:52 PM »

Yeah...I almost bought one of those bells once...but the guy at the dealership said it had to be given to you buy a friend...for it to work.

I guess that counts me out?
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

Bagger

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:49:09 PM »

It appears my first guardian bell has been stolen by the road gremlins [smiley=nervous.gif].  Just noticed it this a.m. when I rode into work for an hour or so.   Needless to say, I made my wife gift me one  (i.e. I took money out of her wallet -with her full knowledge) so it would be a gift ;D.  

Bought two bells  (the other is for my new neighbor who has a RK, but no bell).

My question is, how do y'all mount them?  I had the last on tied to my right floorboard support bracket with the supplied leather staps.  I am not sure what happend to make the old one fall off, but the leather strap was still on, but no bell [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

This new one has a metal key ring attached to the hole in the bell.  I guess I  will buy some additional leather cord and perhaps double tie it, to ensure I stay safe from the road demons. ;D

Mine is on the forward left rider floorboard support secured with a bundle tie.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 08:06:03 PM »

Yeah...I almost bought one of those bells once...but the guy at the dealership said it had to be given to you buy a friend...for it to work.

I guess that counts me out?

Barry,

I would be happy to buy you a bell and send it to you
I never have met you in person but I consider you a kewl guy and friend, just pm me your address

jeffj

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 08:16:24 PM »

For those unfamiliar with the legend of the ride bell here is a link to the legend.

http://www.helmetsetc.com/legend-bell.asp

I had heard that the bell should be installed as close to the road as possible to make it easier for the gremilns to fall off. I have seen bells in many locations though. 8-)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 08:55:25 PM »

Have mine tied to the right floorboard support bracket.  It does hit the ground when leaning hard, but I haven't lost it (it is worn down a bit though)
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 09:13:02 PM »

Have mine tied to the right floorboard support bracket.  It does hit the ground when leaning hard, but I haven't lost it (it is worn down a bit though)

Same here Ernie. I use several zip ties instead of the stringy thing they generally come with. Mines scraped up a bit too but so far so good.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 09:31:30 PM »

Friend of mine gave me one of these dumb ass things. 166 miles later he rear-ended me. I won't even allow one in my house. They're sacreligeous anyway - - -paganism and all that chit.  

B B

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 09:42:38 PM »

Well, call me sacreligious, pagan or supersticious but I've had them on my bikes for over 20 years and yes they were all given to me. Haven't ridden for 7 weeks due to a pig encounter of the hog kind with no bell. Needless to say both my daughters and wife gave them to me for Christmas. I usually mount as close to road as possible, remove leather tie and put on one of those things that keeps your keys together and use a zip tie. Same as previous replies, mounted on right floor board brace.
I'm not broke, just badly bent!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 09:47:27 PM »

Friend of mine gave me one of these dumb ass things. 166 miles later he rear-ended me. I won't even allow one in my house. They're sacreligeous anyway - - -paganism and all that chit.  

B B

Outstanding Brian, that one was almost a beverage spew.  Pretty sure there were a couple bubbles out the nose.  Paganism.  Around a group that puts the bikes specifically, and chrome generally, up on a totem like this group does.  Hell, for those that have a lift and a lawn chair in the garage it's an honest to goodness altar.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 09:47:54 PM by twolanerider »

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »

I was gifted mine.At one of the rallies I purchased a thick leather rope used for necklaces and tied my bell to the little crossbar on the frame between the 2 downtubes.     Out,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Bagger

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 10:06:16 PM »

Outstanding Brian, that one was almost a beverage spew.  Pretty sure there were a couple bubbles out the nose.  Paganism.  Around a group that puts the bikes specifically, and chrome generally, up on a totem like this group does.  [highlight]Hell, for those that have a lift and a lawn chair in the garage it's an honest to goodness altar[/highlight].

YES!!!  You're damn skippy!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 10:39:52 PM »

I was gifted mine.At one of the rallies I purchased a thick leather rope used for necklaces and tied my bell to the little crossbar on the frame between the 2 downtubes.     Out,Q

I saw a guy's bike that tied it to the fork brace and after it was on awhile he noticed that the fender had come up when he hit bumps and scratched & dented the crap outta his fender.  [smiley=oops.gif]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 10:45:12 PM by SEULTRA »

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 12:11:39 AM »

I saw a guy's bike that tied it to the fork brace and after it was on awhile he noticed that the fender had come up when he hit bumps and scratched & dented the crap outta his fender.  [smiley=oops.gif]
that might have been me!!!

i Fked my Road King up like that....

looked cool...till i hit my driveway ......

CRUNCH

i was pissed... then i fgured out it was me..noone to be pissed at [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.