Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: grab strap  (Read 1929 times)

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
grab strap
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »

there is no doubt this bike looks 10 times better without the pillion pad and back rest, and that pesky grab strap that all ways falls down when the pillion pad is on , but what is the best way to stow it  when riding one up, i have been removing the seat and squashing it in there, or is it easier to just take it off altogether ,

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: grab strap
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »

I've always taken them off my bikes.... figured I wouldn't be putting anybody on the back that I wouldn't want to (or be embarrassed about them) grab(ing) me around my waist if they needed to hold on. :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »

X2 ---  first two things that are removed from all of my bikes  ---  grab straps and those cute little reflectors. 

RidgecrestCVO

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »

I just happened to be looking at my grab strap today and thought about removing it. I noticed a bolt that secures it but does anyone know if the nut under the fender is loose or welded, I wanted to go for a ride so I just folded it back up and took off as I didn't want to get into a project just then, Theres riding to do!  :bananarock:

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »

I have about a half a dozen of those straps brand new if anyone needs one..
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 12:19:19 PM »

I just happened to be looking at my grab strap today and thought about removing it. I noticed a bolt that secures it but does anyone know if the nut under the fender is loose or welded, I wanted to go for a ride so I just folded it back up and took off as I didn't want to get into a project just then, Theres riding to do!  :bananarock:
I changed my seat and if I remember correctly it has a welded nut underneath.  You can just remove the bolt.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

PierceEye

• Living The Life In Florida
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8-ANV
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:38:49 PM »

I rarely remove the pillon seat because I never know if the wife or mistress will want to ride LO
I just took a small piece of velcro and placed it in the middle of the strap and on the seat...like a sliver 1/4" strip x 1/2"
I wonder if you removed it; soaked it in water and let it sun dry if it would shrink it to make it stay tight?
FLHTCUSE8-Anv w/ Vance & Hines true dual Ovals
88.85hp & 109.33tq tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »

The grab strap is very useful in helping to pick up the bike. I know no one ever wants to drop a bike, but sometimes it does happen. And if it does, a grab strap can make a difference. With your butt in the seat and one hand on the low side hand grip with the bars turned into the tank, the grab strap is in the ideal position for the other hand.

But taking it off does make the bike look cleaner.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »

I also have taken the strap off my bikes.  I don't find them useful at all and they always hang down and look unbecoming to the beauty of the bike.  And I sure wouldn't want to be trying to rely on a cheap strap to keep me on the seat when the bike is going sideways.  I always tell my passenger that if things go south, grab onto me like a little monkey and we'll ride it out.  And I don't think the strap is actually made out of leather so it isn't going to shrink and be smaller or tighter.  I believe it is made out of naugahyde (an invention at least several decades old now that is a cheap, leather look-alike).  Sewed next to real leather, these craftsmen present the illusion of being real leather but don't think the strap is.  Usually just the actual seating part is leather and that allows them to cut some costs on the balance of the material.  Pork.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:56:55 PM by porkypig »

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »

I also have taken the strap off my bikes.  I don't find them useful at all and they always hang down and look unbecoming to the beauty of the bike.  And I sure wouldn't want to be trying to rely on a cheap strap to keep me on the seat when the bike is going sideways.  I always tell my passenger that if things go south, grab onto me like a little monkey and we'll ride it out.  And I don't think the strap is actually made out of leather so it isn't going to shrink and be smaller or tighter.  I believe it is made out of naugahyde (an invention at least several decades old now that is a cheap, leather look-alike).  Sewed next to real leather, these craftsmen present the illusion of being real leather but don't think the strap is.  Usually just the actually seating part is leather and that allows them to cut some costs on the balance of the material.  Pork.
There's no leather in the seat either anymore.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 06:15:38 PM »

especially on the convertible , it just falls down, unlike my fxstc still taut after 15 years

chywy

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »

Yeah - the grab strap was the first thing to come off my bike - even before I left the dealership.

CHYWY

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »

I wonder if you removed it; soaked it in water and let it sun dry if it would shrink it to make it stay tight?
Ok, here's a little known constant about a little part of our universe (leather):  If you want leather to shrink, it will stretch; if you want it to stretch, it will shrink; if you want it to last, it will deteriorate; and if you want it to take on that "worn" look naturally, it will continue to look brand new a quarter century later.  And if you're expecting it to be genuine leather.............it won't be.  Unless you touch it and it moos, it's probably naugahyde.  And they'll make seat straps out of it!   Pork.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.