Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Enabling EITMS on 2011 (page 81 owners manual)  (Read 12993 times)

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
Enabling EITMS on 2011 (page 81 owners manual)
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »

Has anyone tested this feature (factory default is it is disabled)? It's too cold here in Montana so I was just curious if any one has tried and liked the feature. I know when I got my bike back in October, when I sat at a red light on a warm day the engine would start to get very warm next to my legs. I thought about trying it but it got cold too quickly for me to remember to turn the feature on.
Thanks,
Bob

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Enabling EITMS on 2011 (page 81 owners manual)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:43:22 AM »

Well, Bob, I am about like you.  I have an '11 also so I too have that feature.  Beings it is not hot enough just yet (I got my new bike on October 8th,) I went thru the manual and it seemed like it was disabled according to the flashing light on the dashboard.  Whether it truly is disabled, only the warmer weather will tell.  I know what it was like to go thru 100 degree heat waiting in a line of cars trying to get into an Elton John concert last summer.  That bike was shaking and clanging (my 2010) so bad I thought it was going to blow up.  I truly hope this feature will resolve that problem.  I'll take the heat in my crotch over destroying the engine!   ha!   Pork.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:50:33 AM by porkypig »

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM »

I don't know if the factory sends this on or off by default, but know that both my bikes came with it enabled.  However, think the dealer sets this up.  Only way to be sure of the setting is to flip it and determine where it was.  Process is quick.

You'll know if it kicks in as your idle will feel funny.  Personally, I don't like it.  I've since removed it on the 09 when I replaced the ecm, and now that I got a tuner on the 11, plan to turn it off once I can check heat levels in the summer.

Edit:  I should have noted that it kicked on this past weekend when doing parade duty looking for parking at the Easy Rider's bike show.  Temps were not that high, about 60 I think, but I did have my lowers completely shut so air flow was minimal.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:49:05 AM by Envithyx »
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »

Personally, I don't like it.

Can you tell me what you didn't like about it when it was kicked in?
Thanks

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »

Personally, I don't like it.

Can you tell me what you didn't like about it when it was kicked in?
Thanks

Of course, the reasons are mostly personal, much akin to one liking a color scheme or not.  In my case:

1. The idle gets funny, lopsided is probably the best way to describe it.  Dislike both in feel and how it sounds.
2. Seems to add a bit of a delay when you start to throttle up as it kicks cylinder 2 back in.  I don't like the engine behaving differently, throws all your senses into what's wrong mode.

Guess if it were to happen regularly, one could get used to it and then it wouldn't be as big of an issue.  When it has kicked in, it has only been when I have come to a stop - as I believe it is designed.  I've never sat at a stop long enough for heat to become an issue.  I'd rather use a richer fuel mixture to cool the engine and keep the engine responsive than deal with the delay that I perceive.
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Chromed Out

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 06:32:07 PM »

Yeah, it sounds like the engine is about to shake apart.  It sounds like there isn't any lubrication.  It sounds like you're about to invest a whole lot of $$ into your dearly beloved.  It feels like your crotch is gonna have a big raspberry when you get home.  Reality is the rear cylinder gets shut down but you do get considerable pressure coming out of the tail pipe because of the little black equalizer tube between the tailpipes.  The first time it happened I thought there was truly something wrong and that it might blow up.  In theory it is a good idea, I suppose, but in reality you wish you could just turn it off.  On my 2010 I couldn't, on the 2011 I believe I can!  Pork

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »

In theory it is a good idea, I suppose, but in reality you wish you could just turn it off.  On my 2010 I couldn't, on the 2011 I believe I can!  Pork

I'm not 100% sure on the '10, but think it can be turned off by the dealer.  I'm glad they made this a user controlled setting on the '11s though.

All the service guys at the dealership nearby turn the setting on their bikes off.  Don't think I've met one yet that uses it.  They feel it kicks in too prematurely.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:41:37 PM by Envithyx »
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:54:42 PM »

What is EITMS anyway?

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »

What is EITMS anyway?

Engine Idle Temperature Management System

They describe it as follows:

For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion, the motorcycle is equipped with and Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) to provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder.

When engine temperature reaches a pre-determined point, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector.  Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become and "air pump" which will work to cool the engine.

EITMS will activate (rear cylinder will turn off) when all of the following conditions are met:

Engine temperature is greater than 287 degrees F domestic (165 deg C international)
Twist grip opening is at idle
Vehicle speed under 1 mph (2km/h)
Engine speed under 1200 RPM

EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will again fire) if any one of the following occurs:

Engine temperature falls below 275 deg F domestic (135 deg C international)
Twist grip opening is greater than idle
Vehicle speed exceeds 2 mph (3 km/h)
Engine speed exceeds 1350 RPM
Clutch is released with vehicle in gear

When the engine is in EITMS operation, you may notice a difference in idle cadence.  Additionally, there may be a unique exhaust odor.  These are both considered to be normal conditions.

----

OH, rereading the following sections (not going to post) shows that vehicles are delivered from the factory with EITMS disabled.  However, it seems a lot of dealers turn it on when they do the setup.

Lots of info above, but rather just copy the text than paraphrase it and get something wrong.  :P
2009 FXSTSSE3

2011 FLHTK
V&H ThrottlePak
Chromed Out

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »

Thanks for the info. I will have to disable mine.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 11:59:04 PM »

just got off the phone with the service manager at harley city, i asked if it had been enabled on my bike and was informed he only enables it if specifically asked for, and does not advise unless consantantly in  traffic congestion, so all go out in melbourne disabled

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »

It was enabled on my 2010 ConV. I can enable or disable anytime as it is a computer setting that is available in the TTS software. I plan to leave mine always enabled because it does not take much to get these 110's all hot and bothered. When you need it you NEED it and every little bit helps if you get caught in traffic.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:48:06 PM »

I thought you had to turn the throttle back beyond idle to turn the back cylinder off.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:59 PM »

My understanding (and the way it works on my 2010 Limited) is you can turn EITMS on or off by rolling the throttle back beyond idle for a few seconds when stopped.  It only activates when it's needed....I guess my question is, why would you ever want it off?  If it's not needed it doesn't activate, if it is needed, it does.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

I thought you had to turn the throttle back beyond idle to turn the back cylinder off.

That method only works on bikes that have electronic throttles (no cables).  And it doesn't work on demand, the trick with the throttle roll back is part of a procedure that you perform with the engine off to set the automatic system either to enabled or disabled.  Once enabled, the actual shutdown of the rear cylinder is controlled by the ECM based on the criteria posted earlier (engine temp, rpm, throttle opening, etc.).

Bikes without electronic throttles require either a visit to the dealer for a download, or as noted by MikeV you can turn it on or off with the TTS MasterTune software.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.