Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED] "Click" then electrically dead ... ?  (Read 1916 times)

sygibson

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2008 Softail Springer Screamin' Eagle - CVO - FXSTSSE2
[SOLVED] "Click" then electrically dead ... ?
« on: August 06, 2019, 08:58:01 PM »

[SOLVED]
Turns out the battery terminal bolt was a slightly smaller diameter than it should be - and the bolt was coming loose.  This manifested the problems.  Replacing with a new bolt that tightened down better without rattling loose has solved the problem.

Thank you to everyone for your input and thoughts, much appreciated.

[SOLVED]

Hey all - I have an '08 FXSTSSE2 Softail Springer CVO.

I've been trying to resolve an issue with low battery and odd behavior - but google search, and contacting several dealership service departments have yielded nothing yet.  It's kind of hard to search for ...

The battery has been running low.  Giving the usual hard start on the first or second try, but fires up on 2nd or 3rd usually.   Except ...

Occasionally - 5 times now ... I've had the following problem:

* flip the ignition switch on
* hit starter button
* the fuel pump does not seem to fire up like normal
* a large "click" noise
* then the bike is completely electrically dead

Flipping the ignition switch on/off ... fresh battery in remote keyfob ... check keyfob battery contacts are good and touching battery ... nothing helps.

Until one time, I pull the main 40 amp fuse for about 15 seconds, then plug it back in.  Go to start the bike, the fuel pump fires up, and then it'll go in to it's "trying to start" behavior with a dodgy battery.

Knowing close to nothing about how the TSSM and security functions work ... it almost "feels" like the security module is cutting the electrical to the bike?  Dunno - that sounds awfully odd to me ... but I can't find any reason for it.

Yeah - I need to get a new battery ... and even though I ride over 100 miles (and usually 200) every weekend, with 3 or 4 days commuting every day on the bike ... the battery still draws down. 

Any idea why the bike would just go "completely electrically dead"?  Do I need to sweat the TSSM is chitting the bed?

Thanks for any thoughts on how to either better describe the issue, things to check out, or things that might be going wrong. 

~~shane
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:20:56 PM by sygibson »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: "Click" then electrically dead ... ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:04:00 PM »

that's not how the security works.  it does not 'cut out' all electric to the bike, only the starter circuit.  so if there was an issue with the hfsm (hands free security module), you should still have dash lights, etc.

to effectively troubleshoot this issue, you need to start with a fresh, fully charged battery.  until you have that, everything else is just a stab in the dark.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

sygibson

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2008 Softail Springer Screamin' Eagle - CVO - FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:12:28 PM »

that's not how the security works.  it does not 'cut out' all electric to the bike, only the starter circuit.  so if there was an issue with the hfsm (hands free security module), you should still have dash lights, etc.

to effectively troubleshoot this issue, you need to start with a fresh, fully charged battery.  until you have that, everything else is just a stab in the dark.

Hey @skratch - thanks for taking the time to reply.  I realize I should start with a fresh battery - but seems awfully odd how this behaves.  Battery voltage at lowest I've measured is 13.1v ... I can't imagine voltage at that level should cause weird gremlin issues ... aside from the actual kicking the engine over, the battery output voltage should be within spec (even when low) for the rest of the electrical system ... But hey - I'm constantly amazed at some of the 50 year old engineering designs in H-Ds... 

Still - I love my baby beyond all reason ... which is the only reason I haven't dropped a hand grenade in one of her cylinders ....

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »

check both cables at both ends for tightness.... when you change the battery  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:41:50 AM »

If you haven't already done it,....check all the ground connections.  By the battery going low that would/could indicate that there could be a strong possibility there's a feed back in the charging system "a diode failure in the Rectifier possibility " .

Turn everything off put a tester on the battery if it drops check the diodes.

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 05:15:19 AM »

You may also want to charge your battery and have it load tested.

You have the voltage but, what about the amps?

Cheers,
Smoketown

Homer 661

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 10:59:05 AM »

Using the SWAG system I'd put a new battery in and be done with it. But if you can pull the battery and do a load test on it to verify that it is toast. Mine is on a trickle charger when it's garaged and the battery gets changed every 3 yrs.

Goldcup

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »

I had an 09 Night Train that would get real squirrely with a older battery. I also had issues with a security module that were kind of similar to yours although not exactly. And unfortunately I do not remember the details! Getting old sucks!
Live every day like it’s your last, because someday you will be right!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »

I put in a manual plunger so I can start the bikes at the starter (push button) and it turns over.   This will help narrow down what is causing it.   Was cheap around 30.00

When you press the start button does the relay click ?   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »

I noticed on my 2008 that I had some corrosion on the fuses, including the main fuse.  You can only see if if you pulled the fuse.  I cleaned them all up with sand paper and then added die-electric grease before putting the fuses back in.  I did not have any electrical issues, but thought I would mention as maybe you have the same thing, but are getting some loose connections due to corrosion at the fuses.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
Re: [SOLVED] "Click" then electrically dead ... ?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 07:14:00 PM »

Glad it was something simple.

I just replaced my battery with a new one. I had the terminal screws sitting on the bench and reached for them only to realize the battery came with new screws. I compared and they were not the same. I can see how this could happen.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.