Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low Fuel Light & Fuel Range Problem  (Read 2401 times)

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
Low Fuel Light & Fuel Range Problem
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

For some time now my 2011 has had a problem with the fuel range indicator. Basically the range never gets down 40 miles to trigger for the low fuel light.  When I fill up the tank the range says 171 mile. After about 30 miles the range is still saying 171 mile. After about 155 miles the range is reading 110 miles. My local dealer has already replaced the fuel sender, but this made no difference. Has any one else had problems with the Fuel range indicator / low fuel light?

I recently ran out of fuel with the range reading 42 miles! After running out I calculated that I'd done about 200 mile on a full tank. 

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Low Fuel Light & Fuel Range Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »

I have similar issues with mine but they are not as extreme as your problem.  At best my gauge/light is inaccurate and I simply don't trust it, but it is somewhat functional.  I have never made a issue of it with the MoCo because I rode bikes for so many years without a fuel gauge that I just automaticall figure it in my head now.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »

I use the B trip setting, and pay no attention to the Lo fuel light. When my 2012 says Lo fuel, it takes 3.7 gallons. I know I can go 200 miles, so when it gets to that point I start looking if I'm on the road. So far I have been averaging 44-50 mpg. I am using the XiED to richen the closed loop portion of the throttle. AFR measures 13.8 with the Bassani Road Rage. I have No complaints..

JMHO
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »

For some time now my 2011 has had a problem with the fuel range indicator. Basically the range never gets down 40 miles to trigger for the low fuel light.  When I fill up the tank the range says 171 mile. After about 30 miles the range is still saying 171 mile. After about 155 miles the range is reading 110 miles. My local dealer has already replaced the fuel sender, but this made no difference. Has any one else had problems with the Fuel range indicator / low fuel light?

I recently ran out of fuel with the range reading 42 miles! After running out I calculated that I'd done about 200 mile on a full tank. 

What about the actual gauge, is it also still reading as if you have a gallon of fuel remaining when you start sucking fumes and the engine dies?

We've been having these conversations for years now on other models as well, so this isn't something unique to the Convertible.  Harley fuel gauge systems suck.  Most customer's seem to know they suck, Harley most assuredly knows they suck, and yet they still don't make any real effort to provide accurate gauges.  One more indicator of how they feel about their customers.

In all those old threads from other models you will also find plenty of folks who advised everyone to just ignore the gauges and use the trip meter like we all had to do back in the old days before anyone installed fuel gauges on bikes.  To those folks back then, and to the ones who still say it now, I say BS.  You paid good money for a gauge that should not let you run out of fuel while still indicating you have a gallon remaining, and you need to insist that H-D fix it.  Either that, or bring back the one gallon reserve those old bikes had so you didn't constantly run out of gas if your estimation was off a tad, and give you a refund for the POS gauge system.

Fuel gauges are not rocket science; they are really very simple electromechanical devices.  I haven't had a bad or inaccurate fuel gauge in a car since the 70's, and the ones in cars these days are very accurate.  If those folks can do it, the folks in Milwaukee can do it.  If your dealer can't figure it out, call H-D direct and insist they fix it. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »

The fuel gauge is a red led flush mount gauge from a CVO Streetglide. When I ran out of fuel I think one LED lamp was still on. I was told by someone at the local dealer that the fuel range indicator in the speedo worked independently of the fuel gauge and that it was the fuel range that triggered the low fuel light. I'm starting to think that maybe this is not correct. The Streetglide has a larger tank (+3.8 litres) hence a longer range, probably about an extra 40 mile. This does seem a bit of a coincidence because when I ran out of fuel the range was saying I had 42 miles left. Does anyone have an opinion on this.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 26 queries.