Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed/Gear ratio?  (Read 1018 times)

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
Speed/Gear ratio?
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:04:31 PM »

This motorcycle is a new CVO Road King and the transmission has first gear too high in ratio. The engine speed goes really low when the clutch is engaged and the bike has to lug and has no real power to get going. What if I replaced the engine sprocket? Would it need a primary chain too?  :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Speed/Gear ratio?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:15:43 PM »

This motorcycle is a new CVO Road King and the transmission has first gear too high in ratio. The engine speed goes really low when the clutch is engaged and the bike has to lug and has no real power to get going. What if I replaced the engine sprocket? Would it need a primary chain too?  :nixweiss:

Not sure if anyone has come out with new primary gearing, but you can change the transmission output sprocket.  Andrews and Baker both offer trans belt sprockets with different numbers of teeth.  Depending on the number of teeth, will probably require a new belt.  Check these sites:

http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/T88_Belt_Pulleys.htm

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/drivetrainupgrades/transmission-pulleys.htm#hdCruiseDrive

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:23:38 PM »

http://evoindusa.uia.net/product_info.php/cPath/10_33/products_id/306

Here is one way to speed up the engine. 30 Tooth engine sprocket kit for '07-08's.
This sprocket replaces the compensating nut assembly with a solid sprocket which kind of scares me........

Brad

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:26:20 AM »

Thanks much for the info!!!

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:23:51 AM »

Here is one way to speed up the engine. 30 Tooth engine sprocket kit for '07-08's.
This sprocket replaces the compensating nut assembly with a solid sprocket which kind of scares me........

Brad

scares me too! you would think by now the aftermarket would have primary sets to give us diffrent ratios. they have had since the 06 dyna to see the need. no chain drive conversions either. we are stuck with secondary ratio changes-----expensive and labor intensive.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:24:52 AM »

You are right, first is geared too high.  The rest are fine, however, so I wouldn't want to change overall gearing.  I'm used to being able to ease the clutch out at near idle and plonk away.  This one bogs way down and is the only bike I can recall stalling since that first ride on a Suzuki 80 oh so many years ago.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:29:17 AM »

You are right, first is geared too high.  The rest are fine, however, so I wouldn't want to change overall gearing.  I'm used to being able to ease the clutch out at near idle and plonk away.  This one bogs way down and is the only bike I can recall stalling since that first ride on a Suzuki 80 oh so many years ago.

Therein lies the answer.  Someone needs to 'splain to the MoCo that at least on the heaviest bikes they should have retained the 10:1 overall first gear ratio.  Bumping the engine displacement 8 cubic inches wasn't enough to offset the higher first gear on the big bikes.

With the 5 speeds on the earlier bikes, folks were constantly complaining about the higher rpm at cruising speeds (3000 rpm at 73 mph, for instance), and they were adding 6 speed gearsets to reduce cruising rpm.  Now H-D makes a six speed stock, but due to the intermediate gear ratios people are looking to change primary or final drive ratios to improve low end acceleration, and they wind up right back at the 3000 rpm at 73 mph top gear performance (with one extra shift thrown in).  :nixweiss:

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:21:52 AM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:33:51 AM »

Brad

I saw that in a post here not long ago.  IMHO, not a very good idea to eliminate the compensator.  It's there to protect the drivetrain components, not just to make the rider more comfortable.  I would most definitely recommend adding the IDS (rubber "cush" drive at the rear wheel) if anyone decides to go this route.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:35:34 AM by grc »

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.