Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Why do they hire dummies?  (Read 4741 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Why do they hire dummies?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 01:30:30 AM »

It seems the MoCo has been pushing via their dealer education seminars, the WALMART business model meaing hire the cheapest help you can, don't let them work enough hours to qualify as full time employees who can demand the benefits you advertise when you post the job in the paper and last but not least, don't concern yourself with any type of product training. Chip's above description is the norm in all of the dealerships I have been in over the past few months in at least one if not more areas. With some, it might be sales, others parts and accessories, and so on. With the ecomomy sluggish and sales down, my personal opinion is that H-D Inc has taken this route to advise their dealerships how to increase the bottom line. I could be wrong as this is just an observation from reading the posts on this site and my own personal experience, but you know the old saying, " if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck " I'd be surprised to hear that Don Tilley was not aware he had these people on the payroll.

B B

It is not to increase the bottom line it is to keep it from going under the table. A lot of dealers are just making it right now. They are finally learning how to do business.

On a Sunday I would expect a skeleten crew of very inexperienced people at any dealership. Sad but true. if the dealershio is opened on a Monday just as bad. Right now it is the sign of the times for any HD dealer. Times are very lean right now.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »

Are your dealerships a mixed bag or purely HD?   

The reason I ask is that I know the MoCo has forced a few dealers down here, one particularly comes to mind,  to separate the HD aspect of the business from rice cookers etc and with dedicated staff.  It has certainly improved their product knowledge and servicing and whilst by no means perfect, a vast improvement on previously.

Perhaps they should all be under the stewardship of a Committee selected from this site???!!!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:44 AM »

Are your dealerships a mixed bag or purely HD?   

The reason I ask is that I know the MoCo has forced a few dealers down here, one particularly comes to mind,  to separate the HD aspect of the business from rice cookers etc and with dedicated staff.  It has certainly improved their product knowledge and servicing and whilst by no means perfect, a vast improvement on previously.

Perhaps they should all be under the stewardship of a Committee selected from this site???!!!

It's funny now they want to separate the HD's from the other brands (what ever they are) Back in the 90's the MOCO encouraged the mixing of other brands at the dealerships.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 09:24:36 AM »

Chip,
Let's keep in mind that your motorcycles are a passion for you. To these dudes working Sundays at the Harley shop is a 10 dollar an hour job, why should they learn every thing about a motorcycle that most of them can't afford. Then again there's nothing I hate more than a salesperson that knows very little about what they are trying to sell. There's an old 20/80 rule that will apply to most businesses. Using that, let's assume, knowing the risk to you and me, any given day we walk into any Harley shop 80 percent of the help are going to be dummies and the other 20 percent will carry the dealership.
There's a few thoughts from one of the 80 percent.

Muley

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »

We have a stealer here in town that still believes they are the only HD Shop around even though there are others now that are within 25 miles away. So you get arrogance and a lack of knowledge when you walk in the door when you walk in. I always take the trip when I need something instead of going just down the road.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »

Our HD Dealership here in Tucson is now starting to sell Piaggio. Boy talk about sales people getting confused between them and Harley's!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »

A knowledgeable service/sales guy is worth their weight in gold.  And a guy who took the time and the slightest bit of iniative to know his stuff, wouldn't be making $10 an hour for very long.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 12:39:37 PM »

Sorry guys I can't accept a lot of these posts.  These "shops" are part of a franchise and it is up to the owner of the franchise what he pays and also who he employs and how he trains them.   The bottom line is if they ain't interested he needs to find someone who is.  These Numpties you are talking about just want a job and they may as well work in Macdonalds.

Lots of the dealerships I visit give excellent parts knowledge and are proactive in getting me to part with my cash, if anything they tow the Company line too much and don't accept some of the problems we share on this forum.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »

That is a sad commentary of what is being hired now days. What really bothers me is it isn't just the Harley dealers it's every where. Go to Home Depot , your friendly parts store any where. The new hires just want a pay check and don't want to learn their PROFESHION.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »

Most people in Sales if they are good sales people will tell you what you want to hear and it is up to you to have done your homework and know if they are being true sales people or if they are working with you as a true customer. It is a true bend over and insert type technique.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »

That is a sad commentary of what is being hired now days. What really bothers me is it isn't just the Harley dealers it's every where. Go to Home Depot , your friendly parts store any where. The new hires just want a pay check and don't want to learn their PROFESHION.

But that's part of it...  How many MOCO parts counter guys and Home Depot aisle jockey's consider their job a profession vs. just a job with a paycheck until something better comes along.  Many Home Depot/Menards/Lowes aisle jockeys are kids going to college working part time or retired folks supplementing their incomes.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 01:23:52 PM »

This is pretty much true anywhere you go.

If the Doctor tells me I need to amutate my leg, I can guarantee you, I'll get a second opinion.

If I go to Home Depot and ask for assitance in the plumbing supplies, they'll send me a college chick with blonde hair and no knowledge of plumbing.

If I call AT&T about a problem with my telephone,....well---you know the drill.

I'm just saying, you better know what you're after whenever you go in. THANK GOD for CVOHARLEY.COM.  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 Anniversary #551 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »

I walked to the service department.

I asked about what slip ons they had.

He said, we have RUSH mufflers, but you will have to use a race tuner to make it right.

I said, the race tuner or the Super SERT.

He said Super SERT what's that?

Nancy and I looked at each other and walked out.

It's no wonder things get so screwed up with help like that!

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Well if you were from Wisconsin I'd believe you went to Route 43 HD.  Complete idiots managing and working in service.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:31:41 PM by IMAbadman »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 02:07:22 PM »

But that's part of it...  How many MOCO parts counter guys and Home Depot aisle jockey's consider their job a profession vs. just a job with a paycheck until something better comes along.  Many Home Depot/Menards/Lowes aisle jockeys are kids going to college working part time or retired folks supplementing their incomes.

Unfortunately very true.  However, I do remember when Home Depot hired tradespeople to staff their stores, at least when opening a new one.  Then you could actually ask a question and get a believable answer, but now you get mostly a bunch of teens trying their best to hide so no one can ask them to do something.  Think about it, the same "greed is good" philosophy that is about to bring our economy to it's knees has been embraced most enthusiastically by the folks running these companies.  Pay the help next to nothing and cut hours to keep employees on part time status (no benefits), just to increase the incomes of the CEO and top management.  What makes anyone think the Harley dealerships aren't being run by people with that same corporate mentality?  The days of the good ol' boy dealer who was really just one of the guys and treated his customers and employees like family disappeared along with the last of the old shops with the wooden floors and potbelly stove.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

Very True Statement Jerry!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 24 queries.