Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Oil Temp Gauge - HD Model  (Read 21071 times)

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 Anniversary #551 FLHTCUSE3
Oil Temp Gauge - HD Model
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »

OK... so I've read just about all I can on the oil temp gauge that HD put out, the 75320-05 - Spun Alum. Oil Temp Gauge.  Most of the details of this gauge were from back in May-Nov. 2006.  I've got the install down and will go with the pan hook-up, however; it seems during that time the gauge had undergone aesthetic modifications getting it closer to the factory installed CVO gauges. 

My question is has anyone recently, say in 2008, boughten one of these gauges and installed it? 

How do the gauge aesthetics compare to the current gauges on the FLHTCUSE3 and FLHTCUSE4, i.e. face, trim ring, needle, pin stops, and lighting? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Oil Temp Gauge - HD Model
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »

They still are a dead on match; to the speedo and tach.  Same slight differences when compared to the smaller diameter instruments they should match.  Some dufus used the wrong instruments as his template.

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »

So does this about summerize what I gathered reading from the other posts??

Face:  Exact match, same lettering.

Trim Ring:  Exact Match

Needle:  Different needle, has a "step" in it which does not match other smaller instruments.

Pin stops:  Gauge does not use pin stops like other factory installed gauges on the CVO's.

Lighting:  Lighting is the same as current gauges.  Same color employing a back-lighted.

Thanks again for your replies.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 05:24:56 AM »

I had that useless thing on my '08. It never worked, because the dealer did the original install according to moco instructions. We changed it later, but by then the bike was history anyway. I did find it rather peculiar, that the instrument in itself would not be a 100% match. All in all a big disappointment. Now here are good news: The rather new Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout p/n # 63004-09 MSRP US $139.95

Harley says:
Check your oil level and oil temperature with the push of a button. Add function and style by replacing your stock dipstick with this hard working version. No more grabbing a rag to pull your hot dipstick. No more oil drips on your pipes and on the garage floor. Simply push the button and this chrome dipstick lights up with brilliant blue backlight. Oil level is indicated with a four segment readout - it even reminds you to check your oil when it is hot. Designed to be waterproof, the LCD display operates on a long-lasting, replaceable Lithium coin-type battery (CR2032 3V, P/N 66373-06). Display features a low battery indicator, and press-and-hold feature to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Patented.

Voilá!

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »

Needle:  Different needle, has a "step" in it which does not match other smaller instruments.

My needle is straight.

Lighting:  Lighting is the same as current gauges.  Same color employing a back-lighted.

Mine lights more like the speedo/tach.

Thanks again for your replies.

The gauge matches/works fine other than having no needle stop.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »

Check your oil level and oil temperature with the push of a button. Add function and style by replacing your stock dipstick with this hard working version. No more grabbing a rag to pull your hot dipstick. No more oil drips on your pipes and on the garage floor. Simply push the button and this chrome dipstick lights up with brilliant blue backlight. Oil level is indicated with a four segment readout - it even reminds you to check your oil when it is hot. Designed to be waterproof, the LCD display operates on a long-lasting, replaceable Lithium coin-type battery (CR2032 3V, P/N 66373-06). Display features a low battery indicator, and press-and-hold feature to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Patented.

Voilá!

Except not so much... Search on the dipstick oil temp/level gauge and you will see it has a failure rate worse than head gaskets. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »

I had that useless thing on my '08. It never worked, because the dealer did the original install according to moco instructions. We changed it later, but by then the bike was history anyway. I did find it rather peculiar, that the instrument in itself would not be a 100% match. All in all a big disappointment. Now here are good news: The rather new Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout p/n # 63004-09 MSRP US $139.95

Chicago HD 111.96 $

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »

Would agree with this for the old model, I had it blow out and spew oil on my 2006, but I have no problems with the new one that includes level installed on my 2008.

/Bill

Voilá!

Except not so much... Search on the dipstick oil temp/level gauge and you will see it has a failure rate worse than head gaskets. 
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »

Harley says:

Voilá!

Ride safely,
Louis

My Led unit failed after 3 months. Took it back and replaced the POS air temp guage in the fairing with spun oil temp guage. DIDN'T install according to factory instructions & works great. THE MUFFMAN

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:26:10 PM »

Allow me to repeat my question...

Face:  Exact match, same lettering.

Trim Ring:   Exact Match

Needle:   Different needle, has a "step" in it which does not match other smaller instruments.

Pin stops:   Gauge does not use pin stops like other factory installed gauges on the CVO's.

I am not looking for a dip stick or some gauge which requries me to stop and park to actually get a reading from.  Probably the same reason they don't install the speedo and tach in the tour pak.  BECAUSE YOU WANT DIRECT FEEDBACK FROM THE GAUGE.

Thanks again for your replies everyone.  And thank you TwoLaneRider and Boatman for addressing my question.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »

Badman-

You will be happy with the look of the oil gauge even though it is not exact. 
It DOES not have the needle stop.
The needle looks like the speedo/tach needles. (the needle does not light up).
Lights up like the speedo/tach-brighter.

2lane and I are pretty particular and it suits us.  Once installed, you will really have to look to see any difference.

Hope this helps.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »

My dipstick battery just gave up after almost two years and a lot of checking temps, so not bad. However I do not trust it to check the oil level for me. I still do it the old fashioned way. I don't know how accurate the temp reading is as I just use it as a gauge to read the ups and downs. I do remember in Nelson, Nixobilly (Mark) had both dipstick and guage in dash and they read 30 degrees difference between the two. That is why I just use it as reference for changes such as type of riding or sitting in traffic etc.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »

Even with the slight variation in appearance have replaced the rain gauge with the oil temp gauge in both the SEEG and the Road Glide.  Did the in-the-pan install with the alternative/easier electrical install on both.  They're fine :2vrolijk_21: .

y2khd

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »

Guage I bought from HD the face was very close couldn't complain but the trim ring was different. Did the pan install and it worked great.

John
FLHTKSE

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 08:56:19 PM »

My Led unit failed after 3 months. Took it back and replaced the POS air temp guage in the fairing with spun oil temp guage. DIDN'T install according to factory instructions & works great. THE MUFFMAN

Just a thought, if you feel like changing things around ................
I put my temp gauge in the voltmeter hole and moved the voltmeter to the air temp hole
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »

Where is the best place to hook the ground and power leads up on an 09 SERG ? I got it installed in the fairing and I am going to install the sending unit in the pan from recommendations from here.

Thanks
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel
00 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »

Where is the best place to hook the ground and power leads up on an 09 SERG ? I got it installed in the fairing and I am going to install the sending unit in the pan from recommendations from here.

Thanks

Use power and ground for the original gauge.  The socket is already there so no need to string new.  Simply make short pigtail leads with flat spade terminals on one end to plug in to the stock socket.  Eyelets on the other end to attach to the new gauge.

Attach the pigtails to the new gauge before installation in the fairing.  Then plug them in to the OE socket.  No new lines to run that way and still fused in the stock location (so nothing new to remember later).

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »

what is the pan install :nixweiss:

when i did this on my street glide it went to the adapter,now with the oil cooler its differant,looks like you have to cut one of the oil hoses to the addapter :-\

jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 10:41:18 PM »

what is the pan install :nixweiss:

when i did this on my street glide it went to the adapter,now with the oil cooler its differant,looks like you have to cut one of the oil hoses to the addapter :-\

jon

There's a fitting in the front of the oil pan.  Just centerline of the drain plug you use for oil change purposes.  Unscrew that "other" fitting.  Use a 3/8" to 1/8" npt brass reducer and screw the sending unit in there.

Route the yellow and black wires (signal and ground) up the side, take the ground to the battery or some other convenient spot in route and continue the other under the tank and on to the new gauge.

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »

No $hit,just looked thank you,bet that the gauge temp is most likly more accurate there,

were do you get the adapter from?does it read better at that location.Wonder what that plug is for anyway :nixweiss:

thanks
   jon
freedom shields 13 in

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 12:31:02 AM »

No $hit,just looked thank you,bet that the gauge temp is most likly more accurate there,

were do you get the adapter from?does it read better at that location.Wonder what that plug is for anyway :nixweiss:

thanks
   jon

Accurate?  Well, relative to its location.  Temp will vary of course in different places.  Especially before and after the cooler.  But it'll be consistent.  And that's all you ever want from an indicator anyway.

Fitting will come from any hardware store or home center.  Probably most auto parts stores too.  Nothing special or unique there.  The whole in the pan is 3/8" pipe thread.  The sending unit is 1/8" pipe.  It's just a reducer from one to the other.  Couple of bucks or so.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32:26 AM »

Wonder what that plug is for anyway :nixweiss:

For the oil temp gauge that should have been standard on $25-35k motorcycles

MV 2013

hogasm

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »

Would agree with this for the old model, I had it blow out and spew oil on my 2006, but I have no problems with the new one that includes level installed on my 2008.

/Bill

Only because you don't have many miles on it yet Bill :coolblue:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »

Only because you don't have many miles on it yet Bill :coolblue:

Maybe, but this one screws into the 110s...more secure
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »

Yup my 07 oil dipschtick went right in the 09, the display upside down however so I will have to take it apart ever so easily and move it.  But it can't be seen on the 09 with the cheesy heat gaurds on, que cers, cera..

If I remember to give a rats azz about it that is...  :)

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 08:51:24 AM »

This response may be way behind the power-curve, but I just got my oil temp guage kit in. I am gonna go with the factory MoCo directions, which tell me to install it in the oil pan with the reducer included in the kit....
Semper Fidelis

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »

This response may be way behind the power-curve, but I just got my oil temp guage kit in. I am gonna go with the factory MoCo directions, which tell me to install it in the oil pan with the reducer included in the kit....

As of about 6 months ago the instructions still had the sender going into the oil line. Now they have been changed and they even includde the reducer in the kit. Did one a few weeks back that had the revised instructions. No new part number or letter revision on the kit thought

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »

Jim, would you happen to have a copy of the new directions?, My wires are still connected up front and I've been meaning to change it. I've seen threads on this but I was just wondering what the new directions look like.

thx Jim

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:11 AM »

Am I the only one who got a fairing mount oil temp gauge that doesn't work.  I bought mine a year or so before I got around to installing it last spring.  I chose to use the reducer and mount the sending unit directly to the pan.  It worked fine for about a 100 miles of a 7000 mile trip.  When I returned home I ordered another sending unit as it seemed the most likely point of failure, installed it and it still doesn't work.  I had Jim (h-d dude)  check out the install during our trip when he had the fairing off to install the traxxion kit and he approved the wiring, etc.  I'm about to order another gauge but I'm wondering about the failure rate.  Thanks
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 11:35:50 AM »

I have done a ton of research on these kits, as I was planning on buying one, and this is the first I have really heard of a failure. LED units yes, but if these are failing I have encountered no talk about it on this or several other Harley forums.
Semper Fidelis

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »

Jim, would you happen to have a copy of the new directions?, My wires are still connected up front and I've been meaning to change it. I've seen threads on this but I was just wondering what the new directions look like.

thx Jim

Marty

Marty, i do not, but give me a call and i'll walk you through it....

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »

Had mine installed at dealer into SEEG. When I drove away on a warm day, I just kept a waitin' for that needle to move and it didn't. They claimed that the guage was bad. I had installed the sending unit per Twolane's instructions, which worked out great. I saved them at least an hour on the install,tech not having to mess with installing into oil line. They tried to charge me full shot and we bartered off the difference in time. They put in a replacement guage and it has been good ever since. The fairing mount guage reads about 20 degrees F cooler than digital dipstick. Man, I love a good oil temp guage thread! Remember the first one?

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 06:42:13 PM »

maybe the moco is reading this website and learning how to fix there bikes   ;)
freedom shields 13 in

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »

maybe the moco is reading this website and learning how to fix there bikes   ;)

That's funny.  We're product research or general R&D for hinges, air cleaner kits, a couple of tools and lord knows what else.  Now they plagiarize our methodologies too :huepfenlol2: .

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 09:07:40 PM »

;D ;)
freedom shields 13 in

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:51 AM »

That's funny.  We're product research or general R&D for hinges, air cleaner kits, a couple of tools and lord knows what else.  Now they plagiarize our methodologies too :huepfenlol2: .

Good for them. Good for us. I hope one day the step up to the plate and acknowledge the true value of the cost free research laboratory we run for them and for the dealers.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »

OK... so I've read just about all I can on the oil temp gauge that HD put out, the 75320-05 - Spun Alum. Oil Temp Gauge.  Most of the details of this gauge were from back in May-Nov. 2006.  I've got the install down and will go with the pan hook-up, however; it seems during that time the gauge had undergone aesthetic modifications getting it closer to the factory installed CVO gauges. 

My question is has anyone recently, say in 2008, boughten one of these gauges and installed it? 

How do the gauge aesthetics compare to the current gauges on the FLHTCUSE3 and FLHTCUSE4, i.e. face, trim ring, needle, pin stops, and lighting? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 09 streetglide and had the dealer install the 09 spun aluminum guages in it...The oil temp was one of the guages I had installed and to my dismay the oil temp guage still has a -05 part number as compaired to the -09 part numbers on the others...
The needles are all the same, the inner faces are all the same, the bezal are all the same, the oval cosmetics are all the same with the exception of the lighting...The lighting still has the pastel light that the guages are notorious for...
The newer guages have installed permantly LED in the and that includes the smaller guages...the lights are not changable...
So what I had the dealer do was inside the incandesent hole on the Oil temp guage I had that plastic shroud removed and had a 5 light LED installed which helped but wasn't the actall answer...
On the newer guages the small numbers are so easy to see along with the hash marks but on the Oil guage the light just surrounds the inner face and shines somewhat on it and the hash'e and numbers are NOT legitable at all...
I hope harley comes out soon with a -09 Oil Temp Guage to help complement the newer faces of the guages
FFT
paul
Ride safe

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »

I hope harley comes out soon with a -09 Oil Temp Guage to help complement the newer faces of the guages

Not to mention one that's compatible with the chrome trim rings... which the current one is not, according to the catalog.

rmsubs

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEUC
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »

Just picked up the Spun Aluminum Oil Temp Gauge, backordered since March 5...apparently someone is listening because the new instructions have you place the sensor on the oil pan at the unused pipe plug next to the drain plug. Brass adapter from the kit goes in the plug hole and the sensor then goes into the adapter. No need to go to the hardware store for a brass apapter! Gauge still looks the same as what has been posted. Can't tell for sure cause the bike is in the shop getting the radio repaired...tells me there is a cd error when I don't have any cd in it and the shifter sticks in the down position making it tough to downshift quickly. They say the shift problem is an easy fix but have no clue on the radio. Oh well they say its supposed to rain until late Monday anyway. Glad I have not gotten rid of my Wide Glide yet. Will post pictures when I get the install complete.

09 Autumn Haze/High Octane Orange
   Front lowering Kit
   Low profile rear shocks
   HID Headlight
   Removable Tour Pak
   Hawg wired 4 in the face amplified radio
   Vance & Hines Power Duals
   Mini Beast Air Horn II

Still to come:
   Vance & Hines Monster Ovals
   Screamin Eagle Ventilator 1 Air Cleaner
   Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
James Redmond
ETCS(SS/EXW), USN, RETIRED

TLMitchell

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »

<snippage>

Trim Ring:  Exact Match

The P&A description sez these gauges aren't compatibility with the chrome trim rings. I've got quite a few things that work fine together that the MoCo sez are incompatible. Just wondering if anybody has chrome trim rings on this Oil temp gauge?

TIA... TL

oldharleyguy

• Full CVO Member
  • Yeah, orange black

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra
    • open for business
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »

added to my 07 se ultra through a tap installed on a Baker plus one pan.  looks and works fine.   I do find myself fixated on the damn thing though.
When I can't lift my leg over the saddle,this thing will be a trike.
1967 FLH * 2003 EVO Custom * 2004 FXST custom * 2007 VRSCX * 2009/1977 Springer custom * 2009 XR1200

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »

Just asking a question here I did the install, but I noticed that the lighting in the gage is not as bright as the others. On the other gages the light seams to be right behind the numbers as for the oil Temp, it just look like back ground lighting. I'm I wrong :nixweiss:

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

rmsubs

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEUC
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »

Just asking a question here I did the install, but I noticed that the lighting in the gage is not as bright as the others. On the other gages the light seams to be right behind the numbers as for the oil Temp, it just look like back ground lighting. I'm I wrong :nixweiss:

You are correct. The gage does not light up as the others and the needle is different. The lighting is so poor you can barely make out any of the indications at night.

Jim
James Redmond
ETCS(SS/EXW), USN, RETIRED

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2009, 10:49:05 PM »

I wonder how hard it would be to move it to the oil pan once it's been install in the oil line?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2009, 11:07:39 PM »

I wonder how hard it would be to move it to the oil pan once it's been install in the oil line?

Not a big deal.  Replace the butchered line.  Move the harness to the sender down to the pan (lengthen if need be).  Install the sending unit in the pan as normal.  Rinse.  Repeat.

HOGDOG

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »

i just had the dealer install my oil temp guage where the air temp guage was. the dealer kept my air guage and didnt give it back, put a scratch on my mirror. the guage doesnt light up at all. there is now a thump when i put on the front brake, and "again" for the third time the oil level is about a half a quart over. my first bike i took in for oil change was over filled a whole quart and it started comming out of the intake all over my leg and side of my bike on the highway. the day i got my serg home i put about 300miles on it then checked my oil and it was a half a quart low. when i told the guy at the dealer about it, he say's it runs better that way.....now on this last oil change.....and i do mean last.....it was a half a quart over. im done with that shop...."F & S" harleydavidson dayton ohio......they can kiss my tailpipe...

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2009, 07:46:19 PM »

New hose - 2 new clamps and the correct tool to crimp the clamps and you'll be good

MV 2013

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 07:06:17 AM »

i just had the dealer install my oil temp guage where the air temp guage was. the dealer kept my air guage and didnt give it back, put a scratch on my mirror. the guage doesnt light up at all. there is now a thump when i put on the front brake, and "again" for the third time the oil level is about a half a quart over. my first bike i took in for oil change was over filled a whole quart and it started comming out of the intake all over my leg and side of my bike on the highway. the day i got my serg home i put about 300miles on it then checked my oil and it was a half a quart low. when i told the guy at the dealer about it, he say's it runs better that way.....now on this last oil change.....and i do mean last.....it was a half a quart over. im done with that shop...."F & S" harleydavidson dayton ohio......they can kiss my tailpipe...

Your dealer sounds much like mine.  I was stupid enough to buy a maintenance contract though, so I will continue to take it there for maintenance until the contract is up.  Then I will be moving on to the next dealer and hoping that they don't also pride themselves in doing more damage than repairs.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2009, 11:43:54 AM »

Your dealer sounds much like mine.  I was stupid enough to buy a maintenance contract though, so I will continue to take it there for maintenance until the contract is up.  Then I will be moving on to the next dealer and hoping that they don't also pride themselves in doing more damage than repairs.

Is it a local maintenece contract?  You should be able to go anywhere for service with the official extended ESP plan.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2009, 10:32:47 PM »

Is it a local maintenece contract?  You should be able to go anywhere for service with the official extended ESP plan.
  I really don't know for sure.  I guess that would be a good thing to check out.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »

with all the pros and cons (mostly cons) I hear, I'm passing on the gage.   when i had one in my last bike it looked like it was pegged all the way to the right anyway,  and I like things to match up as well. Sometimes ya just gotta roll the dice.  50 k miles,  made it this far.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 21 queries.