Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Why won't Harley Davidson reply in writing to customer issues?  (Read 3201 times)

Capt Blacky

Why won't Harley Davidson reply in writing to customer issues?
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:01:17 PM »

Wondering why HD will not reply to my letter on my 2008 FDXSE2 (head/cylinder issues at 7K miles - no surprise there from reviewing this site).  Customer service said they can talk to me, but will not respond in writing.  Sad support policy.  Surely, they have nothing to hide.  No way to treat customers who buy their high-end bikes.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
Re: Why won't Harley Davidson reply in writing to customer issues?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »

you may keep in mind the MoCo has no business with you except through your dealer who is an independent licensee.

Or did you open a formal claim against the MoCo herself?

Otherwise there will be formal paperwork only between you and your dealer.

Regular business procedures, nothing to complain about.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Capt Blacky

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »

Kraut, Fair point.  In this case, the dealer was great.  However, my claim was made directly with corporate HD. 

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »

if that's the case and your problem is not resolved pass it to your attorneys. Customer service will not grasp the difference as their not trained for this  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »

REASON: Deniablility....as in no paper trial to support any legal action.  :nervous:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »

REASON: Deniablility....as in no paper trial to support any legal action.  :nervous:
:2vrolijk_21: RIGHT ON
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »

This is one of my many pet peeves with H-D and their entire attitude toward customers.  They don't publish things like email addresses for customer contacts, and prefer to keep all contact on a verbal, "your word against mine" basis.  This is the only company I've had dealings with in the past twenty plus years that won't respond to written correspondence, and in my humble opinion it has a lot to do with the type of bull crap customer disservice they offer.  They obviously don't want to many written responses floating around when they have a history of telling bald faced lies or giving different answers to different customers with the same issue.  Just one more of the many things to think about when choosing a motorcycle company for your next purchase.

BTW, invest in a recorder for your phone and save their BS responses that way.  Then when they don't respond appropriately, take the recordings to your attorney.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »

I wrote a letter to corporate, and the ONLY response was  in an e-mail that stated   ---  your claim has been denied. They did not even address any of the issues in my letter. WHAT A GREAT COMPANY!!!!!

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »

BTW, invest in a recorder for your phone and save their BS responses that way.  Then when they don't respond appropriately, take the recordings to your attorney.

Jerry

Against the law to record a phone conversation unless you advice the other party before the conversation you are doing so. And then watch them politely hang up on you quicker then snot when you tell the call is being recorded..

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 12:05:15 AM »

Against the law to record a phone conversation unless you advice the other party before the conversation you are doing so. And then watch them politely hang up on you quicker then snot when you tell the call is being recorded..

Not so..In some sates not required or one party consent only...which would be you
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 06:50:29 AM »

Not so in NC

As song as one of the two parties knows the conversation is being recorded...it is legal and binding...........happened to one of our local building inspectors

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 07:05:08 AM »

I've been told this is not true in all states. Example: In Va as long as one party (you) knows it is being recorded then it is legal however the person your speaking to has to also be in Va.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »

Not so..In some sates not required or one party consent only...which would be you

Here is a link to federal law.... Consent to one party means " Either you are advising you are recording, or other party is advising and one party agrees." you no longer have to have the 30 second beep, you just have to advise.
In other word, watch the other party hang up quicker then snot once you advise you are recording!!!  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:06:00 AM by cvobiker »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »

Here is a link to federal law.... Consent to one party means " Either you are advising you are recording, or other party is advising and one party agrees." you no longer have to have the 30 second beep, you just have to advise.
In other word, watch the other party hang up quicker then snot once you advise you are recording!!!  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

Va must interpret it differently. :nixweiss:

Virginia Code § 19.2-62

2. It shall not be a criminal offense under this chapter for a person to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication, where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.

If I'm making the call then I would be a "party" of that call and could record it. I didn't read all of the code but I do know that investigators have taped phone calls before w/o any legal ramifications.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:26 AM »

Wondering why HD will not reply to my letter on my 2008 FDXSE2 (head/cylinder issues at 7K miles - no surprise there from reviewing this site).  Customer service said they can talk to me, but will not respond in writing.  Sad support policy.  Surely, they have nothing to hide.  No way to treat customers who buy their high-end bikes.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »

Have I missed something here?
It is the MOCO.
But you say they can talk to you.
Are they not taking care of your issue?
If they are then why care if they respond in writing?
If they are taking care of your issues what else really matters!
It is the MOCO.
If my issues were being handled then I'd rather not even talk to them anyway.
So what's the real issue here?

:nixweiss:   :nixweiss:    :nixweiss:    :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Capt Blacky

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »

SBB - No, the issue is not resolved and they refuse to answer one of my questions (re: a well-published design issue). I've run several national companies and regardless of your exposure, basic business ettitique is to reply to all written correspondence in the same form.  (You'd just need to chose your wording carefully.)  Why a request in writing, well, pretty obvious. 

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »

This is why America sucks.  Sue, sue, sue.  It's all everyone thinks of.  They don't need to write one thing to you.  Why is your dealer not corresponding with them?  That's your issue.  Find a new dealer.  The MOCO would rather run a business than sit around defending crap lawsuits all day.  Their corporate structure is set up so that dealers serve as the liason between the customer and the corporation.  This is not a foreign concept.

Think about it...  How many of you had a problem with your Ford, Mercedes, Chevy, Toyota?  Who took care of it?  Did you contact corporate for those companies?  Could you even figure out who and how to contact someone there?!  This is the same.  Take it up with the dealer.   

We love Harley enough to keep riding them so it's obvious we think they're superior to any other bike.  And if you don't, well, then why bother?  :soapbox:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »

SBB - No, the issue is not resolved and they refuse to answer one of my questions (re: a well-published design issue). I've run several national companies and regardless of your exposure, basic business ettitique is to reply to all written correspondence in the same form.  (You'd just need to chose your wording carefully.)  Why a request in writing, well, pretty obvious. 

They sort of put it in writing (implied design flaws) when they put together the Product improvement Plan (not recall) in 2008.  Are you saying that this "fix" did not help?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 11:25:04 AM »

One other thing when you contact customer service you are given a "Reference #" of/for your claim if you need to call back or dispute results of said claim, and the MoCco will have record of what has gone on. I would think a lawyer could subpoena any of the files with that reference # that the MoCo has on file. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »

Capt Blacky

Thanks for responding.
Have you followed d00d's advice above?
when you contact customer service you are given a "Reference #" of/for your claim
Good luck and keep us informed on the outcome.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »

Having never called Harley (and hope never to have a reason), most customer service departments I have called state that "this call may be may be recorded/monitored for quality or blah, blah, blah purposes."

Does Harley do this?  If so, then I would think you CYA'ed.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »

Some businesses do, some don't. I had a beef with Chaparel Boats, wrote them 1st, one, then a 2nd and finally a third letter. All three were polite, to the point, explained my beef clearly and concisely and asked for a reply. Never heard squat from them and as such, did not buy one of their boats (which is where the beef started)

B B

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »

Jerry

What a great idea.  Maybe the same lawyer can defend you under Federal and/or State communication wiretap statutes.  Depending upon what state your calling from a single party consent (you the caller) would constitute a felony in that state.  WS, (HD Corporate) is not a 2 party consent state, but their statute renders the recorded conversation worthless with their adoption of 968.31 which states "that evidence obtained by recording telephone conversations shall be totally inadmissible in civil actions in the courts of Wisconsin".  Probably need to bone-up on the statutory phone recording guidelines before someone like HD sticks the recording up your tailpipe in a very costly fashion.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »

What a great idea.  Maybe the same lawyer can defend you under Federal and/or State communication wiretap statutes.  Depending upon what state your calling from a single party consent (you the caller) would constitute a felony in that state.  WS, (HD Corporate) is not a 2 party consent state, but their statute renders the recorded conversation worthless with their adoption of 968.31 which states "that evidence obtained by recording telephone conversations shall be totally inadmissible in civil actions in the courts of Wisconsin".  Probably need to bone-up on the statutory phone recording guidelines before someone like HD sticks the recording up your tailpipe in a very costly fashion.

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: There endeth the lesson.  ;) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »

Great pic FR8, to funny :drink:

Thanks, good to know someone else got the humor in this thread also...
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 21 queries.