Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Engine heat is unacceptable  (Read 19169 times)

Jerry/MD

Re: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Engine heat is unacceptable
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »

I'm surprised the Fullsac stage 1 mods did not reduce the temp to your liking. I had that setup on my previous bike and felt a definate difference. Now with my new stock CVO RG I can feel the heat from that dang catalytic converter on the right side again!  :o

gpopvet

• Elite CVO Member
  • 74 and still riding hard.
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Trike
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »

I just had my SERG done with V & H header and True duals with Hi-Output bike runs great but still getting heat on right side low. Bike has 300 miles I have to take back at 1000 miles. I don't remember my 08 SEUC getting that hot.
2021 CVO Trike

tomjetty

• Tom is Dreaming

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »

2009 SERG. The heat was damaging the engine - over heated twice. I put in the Fullsac stage 1 with the download sent to me by Steve at Fulsac. The bike pulls harder, and runs cooler. Don't get me wrong it's hot but not any thing like it ran before. I rode 160 miles today I feel the difference.

My $0.02 Fulsac rocks.   Tom

dartman

• Elite CVO Member

DOOFUS

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »

Wow!  So, when my Aerostich riding pants melted on the right side, I really wasn't alone!!! I used them for 10 yrs -- never a problem.  I get a 110, they melt!!!  Oh well. 

Your not alone just spotted this
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/a/2011/08/06/prweb8701137.DTL

apehangerdanny

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO Street Glide I've dropped 40K in it already .last weekend
was first hot day 90 burnt leg couldn't put foot on floor board .I go to Harley
ask for help . They told me I can buy new pipes and dyno it for about 1200.00
more they cut me a deal on parts. I'm pissed Why should I have to pay for HARLEYS
MISTAKE . So anyone know of a class action law suit out there PLease let me know
would love to join. loved my 2003 . love this bike but it's a money pit .

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO Street Glide I've dropped 40K in it already .last weekend
was first hot day 90 burnt leg couldn't put foot on floor board .I go to Harley
ask for help . They told me I can buy new pipes and dyno it for about 1200.00
more they cut me a deal on parts. I'm pissed Why should I have to pay for HARLEYS
MISTAKE . So anyone know of a class action law suit out there PLease let me know
would love to join. loved my 2003 . love this bike but it's a money pit .

Not Harley's mistake. The EPAs. Want a 110 cu in air-cooled V-twin that's EPA compliant? They get hot.
Get over it. Remove the CAT, put in the Fullsac baffle of your choice (or get the X-pipe) and dyno tune that baby.
The 110 is a GREAT motor, but the EPA is not our friend. Surprised you didn't know this. All Harley's have needed a tune to run right for 20+ years. Even my old Shovels and EVOs.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »

i installed the parade fan

it runs quite a bit when its over 80 and im driving in town. its noticable that its cooler when the fan is running

ive had it on since new, had a fan on the bike before that - on hot days [in mn 80 is hot] the fan does the job

to

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 09:32:43 PM »

C'mon Danny. Just do the mods and you will be fine.  I live in fl and I even removed my lowers.  Gave up the speakers as well.

These 110s do get hot.  No doubt about that.  More cubic inches means more heat.  You bought the bike now do the improvements or just get rid of it.  If you don't you will be miserable on it till you do.  I have a new bike and it's not much hotter now than my 04 103.    Exhaust  tts tune.   $1600.  I know it sucks but what did you pay for that bike you hate to ride.   Just do it.  You'll be happy you did.      I'll make you feel better,,,, we all did it.    And more.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:34:28 PM by cvostu »

MooseAmos

• Full CVO Member
  • "Damn Few..."

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - "Louie"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTI - "Harry"
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »

C'mon Danny. Just do the mods and you will be fine.  I live in fl and I even removed my lowers.  Gave up the speakers as well.

These 110s do get hot.  No doubt about that.  More cubic inches means more heat.  You bought the bike now do the improvements or just get rid of it.  If you don't you will be miserable on it till you do.  I have a new bike and it's not much hotter now than my 04 103.    Exhaust  tts tune.   $1600.  I know it sucks but what did you pay for that bike you hate to ride.   Just do it.  You'll be happy you did.      I'll make you feel better,,,, we all did it.    And more.  :2vrolijk_21:

Concur--Still an amazing machine but needs a bit of "polishing" to make it better which is how these things have ALWAYS been...
- 2012 Black/Slate CVO Street Glide:  Rinehart True Duals; HD Supertuner; LED Headlight/Passing Lamps/Turn Signals; Zumo 665 GPS + XM; 8.5" Klock Werks Shield; Corbin Hollywood Solo; Detachable King TourPak; Heated Grips; etc.

- 2006 Vivid Black Heritage Softail:  SE Exhaust; HD Supertuner; Heavy Breather; Passing Lamps; Corbin Solo; Detachable Ghost Shield/Boss Leather Trunk + Saddle Bags; Lindby Twinbar; etc.

Chris4444

• CVO1: 07 cvo ultra blue / sold
    • CVO2: 08 cvo ulta duracell / sold
    • CVO3: 2011 cvo road glide ultra
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 06:48:27 AM »

my stock 2011 cvo roadglide, runs much cooler than my stock 2008 cvo ultra it would appear to be no hotter than my 2009 non cvo ultra, not many very hot days in the uk but plenty of heavy traffic

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »

IMO, Harley has been trying to keep a dieing ship afloat for 20 yrs. They have struggled valiantly to comply to sometimes ridiculous EPA regs in an effort to keep the antiquated Vtwin engine design alive.
From the Evolution on I've seen and heard complaints of excess heat.
AIR COOLED engines require far different setup than a liquid cooled engine, and there are limits that cannot be exceeded without producing excess heat, drivabilty, and durability issues.
The problems, IMO have been made worse by Harleys attempts to meet the new regs with Fuel Injection, by a continuous regime of building leaner running engines.
Air cooled engines require a richer mixture to help control the heat. I've seen Dyno runs that showed a stock FI Harley running at 16 to 1 at idle and still 14.8 to 1 at full throttle. The real combo should be somewhere near 13/1.
This all aggravated by the new "clean burn fuels" with corn liquour, which actually leans the mixture even more because of its inefficiency.
Harley Davidson could have and should have spent their time designing a water cooled version, now they are caught in the middle with an engine system that cannot meet the regs without major mods. Since Harley is required to meet the regs first, its left up to us to make the changes (break the laws) to obtain an engine that doesn't melt your socks!
Most of the other brands have used the liquid cooling and meet the laws. Harley fell short again in not moving with the times and seeking the almighty profit. JMO FWIW  twinotter

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »

They were staying with the air cool engine.
there are many many that will not have a liquid cool Harley.
I went with a none-cat header with a PCV, much happier. Dropped a lot of heat, better throttle response, with better performance. MPG is still good, around 42-43 mpg
going to auto tune in a month or so. That is what I had on my 07 and loved it. After the auto-tune is installed it will get cooler than what it is now and performance will be a lot better. It takes about 1,000 miles for the auto tune to get it right. It does good after 100+ miles but better after a grand.
You can even get the map from the auto tune and add it to the PCV. How cool i sthat

just a thought

dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »

I will say this. I have no interest in an air-cooled 120 cu in motor.

Chris4444

• CVO1: 07 cvo ultra blue / sold
    • CVO2: 08 cvo ulta duracell / sold
    • CVO3: 2011 cvo road glide ultra
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 04:13:10 PM »

Bmw r series, still aircooled i know the engine layout is better for cooling but they never seem to run anywhere near as hot as a harley,
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 21 queries.