Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Why not buy a SEUC over a SESG?  (Read 4223 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Why not buy a SEUC over a SESG?
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »

My buddy has a 2009 SEUC and loves it when all the guys are adding tour paks, lowers,ect and making the Street Glides more like Ultras. Why don't we just buy SEUC's  and take stuff off to make them SESG?  :nixweiss:

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: Why not buy a SEUC over a SESG?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »

Works for me
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »

Doing it the opposite.....a SESG and add tour pack is a whole bunch less expensive.

But if you got the $$$$.....there are some nice looking SEUCs that have been converted, like Marty's, Jon's, etc. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »

The things we put on can add up..... heated grips/seat, communication system, tour paks, cb, nav, driving lights, ect.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »

The things we put on can add up..... heated grips/seat, communication system, tour paks, cb, nav, driving lights, ect.

In that regard, I guess you'd be right.  However, my experience is that I haven't needed heated grips (the Gerbing gloves work find down to about 25F), the communication system is in our Nolan helmets (and goes with us from one bike to another), never used a CB when I had the Ultra Classics, I'd need the Corbin seat even if I bought an Ultra Classic.  I'd need the HID lights regardless of which model I have.  So, for me, it was cheaper, by far, to just add the tour pack.  :2vrolijk_21:

If I bought a SEUC then I'd have to change out the rear fender, lights and add streatched bags, etc. replace the saddlebag latches with color matched, get rid of the crash bars and put the Street Glide saddle bag bars on, etc.   It's just a personal preference thing. :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:19:42 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »

In that regard, I guess you'd be right.  However, my experience is that I haven't needed heated grips (the Gerbing gloves work find down to about 25F), the communication system is in our Nolan helmets (and goes with us from one bike to another), never used a CB when I had the Ultra Classics, I'd need the Corbin seat even if I bought an Ultra Classic.  I'd need the HID lights regardless of which model I have.  So, for me, it was cheaper, by far, to just add the tour pack.  :2vrolijk_21:

If I bought a SEUC then I'd have to change out the rear fender, lights and add streatched bags, etc. replace the saddlebag latches with color matched, get rid of the crash bars and put the Street Glide saddle bag bars on, etc.   It's just a personal preference thing. :nixweiss:

X2.....it is all about the LQQK that you like.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

X3..it's all about what you want....personally I didn't install the communication, cb, heated grips or driving lights on my SESG.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »

I found the bikes really "sit" differently. The seat/bar relationship felt really different to me. And, I liked the lower height of the SESG.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »

I found the bikes really "sit" differently. The seat/bar relationship felt really different to me. And, I liked the lower height of the SESG.
There is definitely a different feel. I think the SG is more nimble, might be the weight probably the tire sizes

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »

I had the same quwandery when I decided to buy my last bike. I him ha'd around and end up buying a SEUC, I figured I could take off the parts I didn't want. After owning this bike for 16000 miles, thought about trading for a SESG, but decided that the cost to make the SG into what I wanted was going to take more money than I thoughts. Neither way is cheap so I'd advise you to figure out what accessories are a must and which one aren't then find a paints set you like and start the mods. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to undress my Ultra. So for me it'll be one piece at a time until I get it exactly the way I want it.
Supershooter

hacksaw

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »

In the process of removing the tourpak and putting smaller seat on mine, so I guess I'm undressing the Haze!!
2006 UltraClassic Screaming Eagle, SERT, Rineharts, Coastal Moto wheels, raked and stretched, chrome and more chrome

jiml53

• 1K CVO Member
  • Silent Service

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 blk #535
    • CVO2: '02 FXDX-T
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »

Here's what I did.

Jim   :coolblue:
Deep Silent Fast Deadly

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »

Having had both, for me it was a trade down, but the paint design on the 2005 was the best ever IMHO. I loved the 2006 Crimson, but always regretted not popping for the 2005 when we had the chance. Yes I miss the heated grips and the rear speakers, but that's all I don't have with the 2005. I know, it's not a Street Glide, but it was the reason they made them.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

I somewhat agree with you JC, but why didn't you buy the BH, a CVO Streetglide? Changing everything on hers had to
cost way more then another CVO streetglide?

Just saying!
Taz
The "TAZMUN"

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »

Bought the 08SEUC  and love it, wanted something a little differant and LOVED the color of the 10SG TS,  Now I keep adding 'stuff' to make it all better, Chop Tour Pack , (replaced the hinges), lowers, heated grips, Moto Lights, Corbin Seat, Garmin GPS, Tomorrow I am putting the iPod and XM radio in it as over the air sucks.

Now I will need to find time to ride them all........

I look at it this way, I am spending my Son's money , maybe if I am real lucky, my last check will bounce.............. :coolblue:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:12:47 PM by Georgehjr »
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »

I somewhat agree with you JC, but why didn't you buy the BH, a CVO Streetglide? Changing everything on hers had to
cost way more then another CVO streetglide?

Just saying!
Taz

Not sure what "BH" is? :nixweiss: 

I didn't have a choice once she already had the 09 Street Glide and then they come out with the 10 SESG.  But I did find some really good deals on ebay.  The fender, LED lights, streatched bags, etc. all came from a bike that was being converted to a trike.  Got lucky on the wheels, too.....on ebay. 

West Coast GTG   

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »

Not sure what "BH" is? :nixweiss: 

I didn't have a choice once she already had the 09 Street Glide and then they come out with the 10 SESG.  But I did find some really good deals on ebay.  The fender, LED lights, streatched bags, etc. all came from a bike that was being converted to a trike.  Got lucky on the wheels, too.....on ebay. 
BH = "Better Half" :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »

I agree with the feel of the bike.  I love the way the SESG simply wants you take it into the turns.  I was much more comfortable on this set up. 

I have no intentions of adding a tour pak - so the SESG was my best choice.  I like the streamlined look without the pak, and I can get a ton more in my expandable luggage when needed.

It would be nice for the bike to come standard with some of the SEUC options, but there is definately a difference in MSRP. 
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/compare-bikes.html

I tried to post the comparisons but it kept sending me back to the default.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »

Frankly, it's ALL about the sleek SESG LOOK. Sure, you can lower a CVO Ultra to get the same ride, and you can make the TP detachable when you don't want it on, etc. - but it still doesn't have that streamlined SESG look with the stretched saddlebags, the Agitator 19" front wheel, the SESG paint scheme, the rear fender, the cool tank console, etc. Not to mention the awesome 400W 8-speaker audio system.

A lot of stuff that comes on an Ultra I would never use anyway - like the intercom, CB, heated grips, heated seat, mid-frame deflectors, etc.

Just my opinion, since ya asked...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »

Frankly, it's ALL about the sleek SESG LOOK. Sure, you can lower a CVO Ultra to get the same ride, and you can make the TP detachable when you don't want it on, etc. - but it still doesn't have that streamlined SESG look with the stretched saddlebags, the Agitator 19" front wheel, the SESG paint scheme, the rear fender, the cool tank console, etc. Not to mention the awesome 400W 8-speaker audio system.

A lot of stuff that comes on an Ultra I would never use anyway - like the intercom, CB, heated grips, heated seat, mid-frame deflectors, etc.

You would be surprise about the heat.  Personal preference : I agree , to each his own

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »

X2.  Couldn't have said it any better. 

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »

I have the 09 CVO Ultra......and if a CVO Street Glide was avaiable that year it would be in my garage now. You can't beat the look :P
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 10:57:40 PM »

You would be surprise about the heat.  Personal preference : I agree , to each his own

I live in Georgia. More than half the year, I need a COOLED seat - not a heated one!

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »

I think they all look great and wish i had one of each. Like andy! Hes got 6 . My idol

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »

I live in Georgia. More than half the year, I need a COOLED seat - not a heated one!

Good point  :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 11:11:54 AM »

I think they all look great and wish i had one of each. Like andy! Hes got 6 . My idol

Parked next to his Bently......life's rough. :huepfenlol2:   He's everybody's idol Van. ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:19:53 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 11:48:27 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »

Amen brother - couldn't agree more!
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »

A custom seat that has a leather seat instead of vinyl will help considerably.  We get in the triple digits here in the summer but with a Corbin it's not an issue. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »

A custom seat that has a leather seat instead of vinyl will help considerably.  We get in the triple digits here in the summer but with a Corbin it's not an issue. :2vrolijk_21:

Yep... that's what I ride, JC!

The Wizard's Tune

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »

Have a '10 SEUC.  Intially was going to put removable tour pack kit on but the amp under the tour pack caused me issues.  Bottom line is, even though I love the look of the SG I dont think I'd want one now because I use the tour pack all the time and still love the look of my bike. Personal preference and practicality for me.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »

Have a '10 SEUC.  Intially was going to put removable tour pack kit on but the amp under the tour pack caused me issues.  Bottom line is, even though I love the look of the SG I dont think I'd want one now because I use the tour pack all the time and still love the look of my bike. Personal preference and practicality for me.
That's what it's all about.   :2vrolijk_21:
:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
Re: Why not buy a SEUC over a SESG?s
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »

That's what it's all about.   :2vrolijk_21:
:devil:
[/quote x 2

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »

I'll start with "I ride a '12 SESG".
This question is a lot like asking why some one didnt get the top trim on whatever cage they bought. They didnt need/want it. The SESG has more than I want in a bike. The extras that the SEUC has, aside from tourpak, I didnt want. Plus I love flames.  :orange: awesome flames. That and I stretched to afford this one.
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »

I am a road glide guy, but I buy the SERG, not the SERGU.

Reasons are easy, wife rides her own, so I like my tour pack in the solo when I need it for better weight distribution and looks.  I do not need a King tour pack, a chopped works fine.  I do not need or want a CB.  I do not need or want heated seat or grips, I like heated gear better.  I like the sportier styling of the non ultras.  Most the time my chopped tour pack is not on the bike, only a solo seat.  I even remove the passenger pegs.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 21 queries.