Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Mounting Condor or any wheel chock to a trailer - Recommendations or feedback  (Read 20662 times)

mrdinny

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2010FLHXSE

This.

I may be a little anal when tying a bike down, but I'd rather have a few extra straps than a suprise when I open the trailer.

your correct the rear of the bike will bounce all over if its not tied down

cvo2007

• Riding Harleys before it was popular to do so

I am now a Condor believer.  As you can see there is not much room on each side of the fairing, but I was able to pull the bike up into the trailer myself and strap it down without any additional people.  Sorry about the messy garage but wanted to share my two cents on the Condor mount.  It is 0 degrees outside right now so no outside shots.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:59:18 PM by cvo2007 »
Riding for over 40 years
Currently riding 2007 Ultra CVO

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.

It's like a huge white wale is eating your ultra.  Can give a guy nightmares!!  :P
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Stop-Trailer-Wheel-Chock/dp/B001PNMOQE

I mounted with this and bolted through the cross member flange.
Easy to remove and remount.

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

I have two Condors in my trailer, one the fixed version and one the removeable/dual use.  They are great, I ride in and can step off the bike no issue...BUT, for traveling/pulling the trailer I always tie down the bikes to fixed points in the trailer.  No worries that way.  The Condor does not have to handle the bulk of the load this way.  I do not tie down to the Condor chocks.

My tie down poinnts are all set up to pull the bike in the same direction, forward and into the Chocks.

Bill

I spaced for position and mounted two Condor chocks inside one of the wide body Ironhorse fiberglass bodied trailers today bill.  It already had solidly mounted recessed tie down spots that will work so I've not added anything else there.  But the tie downs are as you describe; all to cinch the bikes forward.  I was thinking I'd add more in the rear just to cinch the bike's rear wheels down.  You've never had a back wheel slide or bounce either way with everything cinched forward toward the chocks?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:51:30 AM by Twolanerider »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE

I spaced for position and mounted two Condor chocks inside one of the wide body American Ironhorse fiberglass bodied trailers today bill.  It already had solidly mounted recessed tie down spots that will work so I've not added anything else there.  But the tie downs are as you describe; all to cinch the bikes forward.  I was thinking I'd add more in the rear just to cinch the bike's rear wheels down.  You've never had a back wheel slide or bounce either way with everything cinched forward toward the chocks?

I also have tiedown points in the rear, but they are not "pulling" the bike to the rear, moreso to the side or forward.  In my truck bed years ago, I used two in the rear to prevent the sided to side motion.  .  I installed them exactly where I wanted them (all 8) based upon the bike in the trailer and in the condor chocIk even have tracks on the wall in case I am very nervous and want the side to side option to prevent banging in the wall.  I did use this for a 2000 mile tow to Loveland a few years ago.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

I also have tiedown points in the rear, but they are not "pulling" the bike to the rear, moreso to the side or forward.  In my truck bed years ago, I used two in the rear to prevent the sided to side motion.  .  I installed them exactly where I wanted them (all 8) based upon the bike in the trailer and in the condor chocIk even have tracks on the wall in case I am very nervous and want the side to side option to prevent banging in the wall.  I did use this for a 2000 mile tow to Loveland a few years ago.

/Bill

That's my plan too.  Just have to get more tie downs.  Used all I had getting the front and middle set up as I wanted.  Can't use tracks on this fiberglass trailer but a thousand pound dead weight for a nice two place trailer is something I'll compromise in other areas for.  Have seen rear ends of bikes bounce or slide a bit and just don't want to take the risk with the potential of two in side by side and their relatively close quarters if they happened both to have fairings.

cvo2007

It's like a huge white wale is eating your ultra.  Can give a guy nightmares!!  :P
CVO2Fixit.  Never thought of it that way but see what you mean....I would rather see it as a cocoon that opens up and finds something more beautiful like a Harley.  I thought about a plain open trailer but could not imagine having the salt eating at the chrome until I got to Arizona so found something lightweight and enclosed. Hey.  Whatever it takes to get me out of here to somewhere I can ride and enjoy it is fine with me.  Since you are in Ontario I am sure you can relate.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:55:18 AM by cvo2007 »
Riding for over 40 years

woodman

• Junior CVO Member

This is why I like this sight.  It helps to kick around ideas.  First, I called Condo and talked to someone and their statement to me was that as long as the floor is a minimum of 1/4" that is all that is needed.  Starting to wonder if she meant to say 3/4" but she did state it twice.  I suppose that technically the weight of the bike and the straps are technically holding the bike down.  The Condor or wheel chock is just keeping it from moving forward and sideways and thus it is not what it would take to pull the bolts through the plywood but what it would take to tear the plywood horizontally which would be much greater.  My eye bolts for the tie downs are into the frame.  

I really liked the video and it started some creative juices flowing.  Similar to Boatman's installation, I think I will get a couple of small plates or some large fender washers and weld some nuts and use them under the other 4 locations.  That way I can quickly remove the bolts from up above and not have to crawl underneath and or keep it to a one man project.  I know that this is probably overkill, but well worth the extra few dollars spent for the piece of mind.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Did the same in my trailer. Worked great . Been to Arizona from Washington in the snow through the mountains. No problems and piece of mind. Also have the bikes strapped to the side and rear.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

I have a 7 X 12 Logan Coach Trailer, I use two Wheel Docks now some how I lost the previous Condor Chocks I had. I place the wheel in the Wheel Dock make sure I release the bar to lock front wheel, I then use the tie downs that HD ship their bikes with and tie down front by going around the forks using a soft tie, and then securing the rear of bike of the bike by running tie downs from the rear frame to just to the side and a to the rear of the bike then I run a tie down to hold the rear wheel down from bouncing around.

Since the pictures have been taken I have run E track down each side and the middle of the trailer. Also I am going to lay down some rubber matting as that lino flooring is slippery when it is wet and in the winter when our boots are wet it is a hassle loading and unloading the bikes.

Pic 1

geezerglide
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:56:47 PM by geezerglide »

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Pic 2

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Pic 3

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited

I use the $60 Harbor Freigt chock.  I place it on rubber door mat. Tie bick down to fork tubes front and passenger pegs to the rear.  When I arrive, simply lift it all out and place in bed of truck.  I have not found it necessary to mount the chock.  

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:28:05 PM by CVO Aqua-Glider »

2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II

My motorcycle trailer has two BikePro brand chocks that are bolted down to mounting plates. I made sure that both of the mounting plates were secured to trailer frame cross members (front bolts).

My toy hauler (5th camper) had extra BikePro plates bolted down. At the NYC bike show I picked up a Condor to try out. For half a season I used the Condor supplied trailer mounting kit to attach that chock.

I no longer bolt the chock down. The Condor sits at a center marked position on the floor and is kept from sliding forward when loading with either a length of 2x8 or my electric cooler.

For me at least, more important then having the chock bolted down is a secure place tor straps. I use the aluminun aircraft track that allows mounting the rings anywhere in the trailer.

The chock is only used to allow the bike to be supported unassisted when loading.
2 straps from the running lights - forward, down and out. They keep the bike upright and pull slightly into the chock.
2 straps from the passenger foot pegs - straight out, down and just slightly rearward.
1 strap around the rear wheel pulling straight back (for panic stops)

I liked the Condor enough that I bought a second one for the trailer, but most of the time is it in the garage and I park the bike on it.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

cvo2007

My initial concern was that I was not able to mount the Condor to my trailer frame.  There was a frame gusset that I could bolt through, but I could not buy a flat head bolt that would set flush in the Condor plate that was 5 1/2" long.  The longest bolt offered even at a Bolt and Nut supplier was 5".  While at the hardware store over the weekend on another project, I ran across a bolt coupler and the light bulb went on.   I've seen these things but really never used one so did not think of it before.   I will include a picture to hopefully help someone else out.  It essentially couples two bolts together.  What I plan on doing is connect the two bolts to get the length that I need one going down through the floor and the other going up through the gusset and tie them together with this connector.  Problem solved!   I now have my Condor trailer plate connected to the frame. Current plans to make this somewhat adjustable, from the top down would be the flat head bolt going through the condor trailer mount, through the trailer floor, fender washer flush with the underneath of the floor, nut (with nylon lock built into it), coupler, bolt originating through the gusset, nut that will lock onto top of frame gusset, nut on the other side of frame gusset.  This will allow some flexibility on the length of bolt that I need and allow a precise lock down.    I will add a photo after I get this done. Hope that helps someone else.

Duane and a couple of others have mentioned straps pulling forward and also towards the rear.  This would help limit the stress or forward pressure on the wheel chock once things are in-place. Starting to feel more confident about using the Condor trailer quick release unit.  Also saw the Harley and other tie down brackets that go on the upper trees where the driving lights mount.  For $50 I am going to get a set of these since looping over the engine guards still gets the straps close to the lower fairings on my Ultra.  Mounting on the lower legs by the fenders everything is chromed so again the brackets seems like a low cost investment and can quickly remove them since I may only trailer the bike once a year int he winter months.    
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:51:38 AM by cvo2007 »
Riding for over 40 years
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.