Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio  (Read 20844 times)

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:40:24 PM »

I am really not impressed with the Boom! Stage I audio in my 16 RGU.  Thinking of adding the Stage II, with the new speakers and additional amp for the rear.  Not doing the saddlebag speakers.  Anyone done it?  Not interested in other brand upgrades, really just want the plug and play. 
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
Re: Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »

I am really not impressed with the Boom! Stage I audio in my 16 RGU.  Thinking of adding the Stage II, with the new speakers and additional amp for the rear.  Not doing the saddlebag speakers.  Anyone done it?  Not interested in other brand upgrades, really just want the plug and play.
I've the same BOOM! Stage I setup on my 15 RGU and after waiting out the many reported bugs in the Stage II upgrade placed my order as follows:
  • Boom! Audio Amplifier-76000277A (installs under the Tourpak - powers rear speakers)
    Boom! Audio Stage II 6.5” Road Glide Fairing Speakers-76000594A
    Boom! Audio Stage II 6.5” Tour-Pak & Trike Body Speakers-76000526A
    Boom! Audio Stage II Tour-Pak Speaker Installation Kit-76000585
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER INTERCONNECT   69200714
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER JUMPER   69200489
A forum member from New Jersey has successfully performed the upgrade and is reportedly quite pleased with the results. He will be helping me avoid pitfalls with my installation which I should complete sometime in the next month. Assuming you'll perform the installation, per motor1, the keys to success appear to be that you must complete the installation prior to the dealer flashing and making sure the radio doesn't come on prior to getting the bike to the Harley dealer for flashing the Infotainment System with the correct ".bin" file. This is accomplished by turning off the radio prior to shutting down the bike just prior to the installation. Apparently this didn't work properly prior to the latest Infotainment update v1.20.1 flashing and the radio automatically turning on caused numerous blown speaker/amp problems.

Being a home theater aficionado, I recognize the advantages of "bi-amping" and, as the Stage II upgrade is the only audio solution I'm aware of using this method, I am most curious to hear if those advantages translate effectively into the (noisy) world of motorcycle audio.
Dennis
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »

That is the exact same parts list I ordered last night.  Good to know about the flash issue, I will be sure to turn it off.  Please post after your upgrade and we can compare notes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:04:46 PM by Maczter »
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:17:07 PM »

if you dont mind me asking ... what is the cost of this project
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »

I mis-ordered the front speakers, so they credited me and charged me for the new ones.  I buy from surdyke.com, they have 20% off everyday and no taxes + usually free shipping over $150.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »

I just did the J&M Rokker RRX system upgrade for my 2014 FLHTK. It is plug and play. You keep the stock radio and just change the amp and speakers. Very impressed with the system and the ease of changing everything over. Your radio will need to be reflashed though. I had J&M do it but I believe the stealer can do it as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »

I just did the J&M Rokker RRX system upgrade for my 2014 FLHTK. It is plug and play. You keep the stock radio and just change the amp and speakers. Very impressed with the system and the ease of changing everything over. Your radio will need to be reflashed though. I had J&M do it but I believe the stealer can do it as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG do you mind me asking the price of that project any specs on amp/speakers thnx
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »

I looked at the J&M Website, and for my 16 CVO, it's $1800 + a $75.00 flash fee for the radio which you have to send to them BEFORE you upgrade.  It does have more power than the Boom! II, and actually looks easier to install since it is only using a single amp.  But...is $600 more.

billy421

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 Limited
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »

I've the same BOOM! Stage I setup on my 15 RGU and after waiting out the many reported bugs in the Stage II upgrade placed my order as follows:
  • Boom! Audio Amplifier-76000277A (installs under the Tourpak - powers rear speakers)
    Boom! Audio Stage II 6.5” Road Glide Fairing Speakers-76000594A
    Boom! Audio Stage II 6.5” Tour-Pak & Trike Body Speakers-76000526A
    Boom! Audio Stage II Tour-Pak Speaker Installation Kit-76000585
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER INTERCONNECT   69200714
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER JUMPER   69200489
A forum member from New Jersey has successfully performed the upgrade and is reportedly quite pleased with the results. He will be helping me avoid pitfalls with my installation which I should complete sometime in the next month. Assuming you'll perform the installation, per motor1, the keys to success appear to be that you must complete the installation prior to the dealer flashing and making sure the radio doesn't come on prior to getting the bike to the Harley dealer for flashing the Infotainment System with the correct ".bin" file. This is accomplished by turning off the radio prior to shutting down the bike just prior to the installation. Apparently this didn't work properly prior to the latest Infotainment update v1.20.1 flashing and the radio automatically turning on caused numerous blown speaker/amp problems.

Being a home theater aficionado, I recognize the advantages of "bi-amping" and, as the Stage II upgrade is the only audio solution I'm aware of using this method, I am most curious to hear if those advantages translate effectively into the (noisy) world of motorcycle audio.
Dennis

billy421

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 Limited
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 09:56:33 PM »

THERE IS NO TOUR PAK AMP AFTER THE YEAR 2013 AVAILABLE

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »

THERE IS NO TOUR PAK AMP AFTER THE YEAR 2013 AVAILABLE

According to the HD site, this one fits all the way up to '17s.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/boom%21-audio-amplifier-pa-08-76000277a--1

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »

I have a boom stage II here at the shop with the second amp installed under the tour pack.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

I have a boom stage II here at the shop with the second amp installed under the tour pack.

Mind if I ask how does it sound?

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 03:58:33 PM »

Actually it has never been quite right.  It has had several speakers replaced along with both amps.  It was kind of a test unit for the local Harley dealership here.  At least that's what we say to ourselves.  The 2015 trike next to it sounds better for the base and at normal volume, but doesn't get as loud.  If it was to happen again, I think Biketronics and Focal speakers would be the way to go.  You might want to talk to UltranutZ about it.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »

Actually it has never been quite right.  It has had several speakers replaced along with both amps.  It was kind of a test unit for the local Harley dealership here.  At least that's what we say to ourselves.  The 2015 trike next to it sounds better for the base and at normal volume, but doesn't get as loud.  If it was to happen again, I think Biketronics and Focal speakers would be the way to go.  You might want to talk to UltranutZ about it.

I was reading reviews on the HD website last night, and many were not good, but some were.  One was very detailed on how he got the best sound.

"I have been installing car audio for 20 years. I wanted a system that was fully covered under warranty and did not want to pull apart a brand new CVO Road Glide...or switch out the NICE GPS and NICE BIG Screen on the bike. I decided to install the Stage II Speakers...fronts and rear tour pack...added the second amp (under tour pack) and the system sounds great! It already had the Stage I (Stage I speakers and one amp in the fairing)...now I have two amps and the upgraded speakers. The system works great...I am NOT having an "Clipping" issues or any issues with the amp "Turning off". I did some research and you NEED TO MAKE SURE THE DEALERSHIP flashes and installs the system as noted by HD. Now all my speakers and amps are fully covered and under warranty. YOU MUST ALSO ADJUST THE BASS AND TREBLE...at higher volumes...the bass is too much and it distorts (would make any 6 inch speaker distort...a 6 inch is not a subwoofer). My Bass is four below half....and my treble is at the half mark. The fader is set to one forward (one mark to the fairing speakers). I have noticed the rear speakers put out a lot more bass...then they distort. To correct the issue...fade "one" mark forward...issue corrected. The system sounds awesome. I am very pleased."

So after flash, I am going to try this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.