Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: LED "Daymaker" LIKE Road Glide LED Headlight Assy Install  (Read 5619 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
LED "Daymaker" LIKE Road Glide LED Headlight Assy Install
« on: May 31, 2017, 11:50:58 AM »

Okay, I went cheap.  I just could NOT see $750 for the Road Glide HD LED Daymaker headlamps assembly.

This is the lumen rating on the LED headlight assembly I bought.

Luminous flux : High Beam 45w x 2 - 90w,  3600LM x 2 - 7200LM,  Low Beam 30w x 2 - 60w,  2400LM x 2 - 4800LM

I found the lumen spec on the HD unit,  and they are the same as the one I bought.  I saw many on eBay that had the same high beam lumens, but the low beams were only 1600L. 

I paid $169.99 for mine with free shipping.  I figured that I couldn't to too far wrong at that price.

Here's what I started with.

This is the new one on top and my original H4 unit on the bottom.

Here's what came with the kit.  The rag is clean, just stained.  I never throw anything away, just keep cleaning and reusing.

The two round plastic sleeves go over the two center mounted studs on the back of the aluminium housings.  This is incorporated into the metal bracket that adds support to the headlight bucket because they are about twice the weight of the original unit.

The long curved tool at the top is from Kent Moore tool company that supplies tools to automotive dealerships etc.  I had this for many decades and finally found a good use for it when I bought the '09 SERG.  With a ground down socket on the end, I can just slide it on the two lower adjuster pins and adjust the vertical/side to side beam adjustment.

Here is the new LED unit installed in the fairing.  You can see the two plastic sleeves on the two aluminium studs in the middle.

Here is one half of the steel support on the inside.  The top hole and the middle hole are transferred onto the plastic for drilling.  I should remind everyone here that there are NO instructions with this and you're left on your own to figure out where all the parts end up going.  The part with the two studs goes on the front of the fairing.

Here is the front part with the studs through the holes I drilled.

Here's the two steel parts bolted in place.

I will say that hindsight is 20/20.  When I installed the brackets, I should have moved them up a bit, but where they are seemed to be a neutral positioning and that's why I drilled it there.  BUT... the two catch mounts on the bike that hook into the fairing slots are partially blocked by the steel upper "T" areas.  I had to remove the inside part and cut upward a bit to allow full access to the slots in the fairing.  I could NOT get the fairing to snap into place. 

Also the wiring ends on the LED's were a bit bulkier that the original wiring.  I found that they would hang down in the way of the fairing upon installation.  So I looped a piece of chalk line around the two leads and held them up into the empty space.  Another thing to do is to tighten the 3-prong headlight plugs a bit.  The wiring spades on the new LED unit are thinner and do not grip as well into the 3-prong plugs.  I also taped the two together so they could not unplug due to vibration etc.

The adjusters that come with the new kit worked well.  But I had to put a little grease on the adjuster threads to get the adjusters to turn easy enough in the plastic fairing retainers.

The headlight bezel was a bit stubborn, but a few good whacks and the four prongs snapped into place.

The only thing is that the new LED assembly sets back into the fairing a LOT more than the original assembly does.  The adjusters are threaded in about 1/2" to 3/4" further. 

When the beam is "close" to correct, the top of the clear housing lens sticks out a lot through the bezel.  At first I had the assembly aligned to that the lens, top to bottom, was about equal.  When I turned on the light, it was shinning about 10' up at about 20' away.  I had to really thread out the lower adjusters to get the beam down.  And this is when I saw the great difference between the top and bottom lens to bezel distances.

I will have to say that the assembly is VERY BRIGHT...  :2vrolijk_21:

I have a headlight modulator on the bike and I remember Harry said that he could not see me very well when I followed him last May.  I tried the modulator on the LED's and it worked.... But not right.  On the H4's it would modulate between 50% and 100%.  On the LED's, they're either on or off, not in between on these babies... :(  It looked cool and there's no way someone would miss the on/off of the low beams, but it looked very much like a cop bike and I felt that if the cops saw they would write me up as impersonating a cop.  So I took out the modulator and hope that being a LOT brighter now will be good enough.

All in all, I think I'll like the new lights.  The ES trip will be the proof, I hope.

I hope this helps some of you making a decision on buying or not.  So far for $169, I think I got a good deal.  There are some in the $149 or a bit cheaper out there, but not at the same low beam lumens as this one.

Let me know if you have any questions and hope to see LOTS of new faces in ES.  Ride safe and see you all there!   :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: LED "Daymaker" LIKE Road Glide LED Headlight Assy Install
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »

I installed on my old Road Glide yesterday also Dan.  Love the light.  Works great and easy install. 

"I can see clearly now..."

To adjust the Road Glide headlight adjusters I've always just put a socket on a little thumb wheel ratchet.  There's room to get your hands down there.

Actually ordered the one here a few months ago and only yesterday got around to installing.  It's not marked so no clue which low beam output unit I've got.  Whatever it is it puts out a truly effective amount of light at night though.  I'm a happy camper too.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »

There is no reason other than gouging that the Harley Daymakers  need to be as expensive as they are. The price of LEDs in nearly every industry have fallen greatly.  Kudos if you found one that performs and is less expensive. When I had my 2009 Road Glide, the Daymakers were far better then the LED headlights on my 15. I miss them!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »

I installed on my old Road Glide yesterday also Dan.  Love the light.  Works great and easy install. 

"I can see clearly now..."

To adjust the Road Glide headlight adjusters I've always just put a socket on a little thumb wheel ratchet.  There's room to get your hands down there.

Actually ordered the one here a few months ago and only yesterday got around to installing.  It's not marked so no clue which low beam output unit I've got.  Whatever it is it puts out a truly effective amount of light at night though.  I'm a happy camper too.

Thanks for the pics and description, I'll be installing mine shortly. The price has come down again and was able to get mine for $130 delivered.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »

Thanks for the pics and description, I'll be installing mine shortly. The price has come down again and was able to get mine for $130 delivered.

If the experience here is anything to go by you'll be pleased Lou.  Works consistently and shines well.  Good long distance optics/reflector.  Feel much better at night than with what was in before.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »

If the experience here is anything to go by you'll be pleased Lou.  Works consistently and shines well.  Good long distance optics/reflector.  Feel much better at night than with what was in before.

I hope to have the same experience, must have checked tracking three time already today.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:37:08 AM »

Mine are still working as they did new.  I love the brighter frontend for visibility during the day as I don't really ride a lot at night.

You'll love them.

I did find that many of the cheaper than my setups didn't have as high of "low" lumens as the one I bought.  Most seem to have the same "high" lumens.  So look at the specs to make sure you pick the highest lumens available.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »

Your right, I checked and found mine will be less lumens. The specs are hidden or not displayed in many of the on-line offers. I'll post my results and hopefully will be better than stock.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »

I received the headlight conversion yesterday and found it "not as described and damaged".  Evidently there are two units, one for the early RG's and one for the later models. The description on ebay mistakenly showed the unit for the later models although I was buying the unit for the earlier RG's.
The newer model has a screw on wire heat shield and no extra red wires that go to ??  The extra red wires and the fact that bezel had deep abrasions and would have to be filled, sanded, and painted plus no heat shield made me ask for a refund. The seller has offered to find out what the red wires are for, supply the heat shield and compensate for the bezel repair, but I'm done with this.
The other items I purchased from him were fine and will be going on the bike today. The weather in SoCal has been very cold and it even snowed just above where I live yesterday so I've got the down time to deal with this. Hey, what could go wrong   :nixweiss:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:08:47 AM by grandpadoc »

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »

update  :)

I did a lot of research last night and found that the unit he sent me was correct for my 2000 RG just that the image was for the later models.
The newer (2003-2013) model runs brighter and hotter and needs the Harness Protector. The red wires it turns out are for the European units which have low voltage marker lights for night time parking. The European factory units have a HD shield that glows at night built in. The folks that get the EU version are using the red wires to power up accessories.
I'll try the install today, what could go wrong   :nixweiss:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 12:01:59 PM »

This is the setup I bought for my '09 SERG.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-5-3-4-LED-Headlight-Projector-Daymaker-Lamp-For-Harley-Road-Glide-98-13/232196263553?hash=item360ff9ce81:g:5z8AAOSw5cNYeBgP

As I said, this setup has the higher low beam lumens.

Good luck with your upgrade.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »

Thanks Dan, Looking at your install pics and couldn't figure out why the front plate was shaped like that and not completely flat. Must be right though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »

It's worth fighting a bit to get it done Lou.  End result is worth the effort. 

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »

Had to get around some issues, but couldn't handle this screw up. The new adjusters don't have a hex head, so how does that work ?  I'm glad Dan sent me the link to the one he got. I'm returning this one and getting what he has.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »

Couldn't use the original adjuster screws?  On mine they were the same size ball head.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »

Couldn't use the original adjuster screws?  On mine they were the same size ball head.

I tried that and wasn't happy with the fit. I guess with some bending and filing it would be ok, but at that point I said screw it. "Item not as described, damaged parts, poorly designed adjusters"  :deal2:...its going back.
Thanks to Dan, I ordered from his vendor and its on its way. Its been raining and snowing locally here in SoCal lately so have been tinkering with the other bike stuff that's been ignored for a while and then its going to get Glared for a whole day. 

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 11:29:15 AM »

I tried that and wasn't happy with the fit. I guess with some bending and filing it would be ok, but at that point I said screw it. "Item not as described, damaged parts, poorly designed adjusters"  :deal2:...its going back.
Thanks to Dan, I ordered from his vendor and its on its way. Its been raining and snowing locally here in SoCal lately so have been tinkering with the other bike stuff that's been ignored for a while and then its going to get Glared for a whole day.

I would say out of all the concerns I had with mine were also the ball adjusters, although mine were hex on the end.  These headlights do fit into the fairing completely different than the original and the gaps you had are way different than the new LED setup.  The instructions left a LOT to be desired, but maybe my pictures can help out a bit.  I wanted to reuse my original bezel, but it does not fit the new LED housings.  I'm not sure I could ever get the new bezel to come off, it snapped on very hard.

As Don has said, these are not perfect like maybe the Harley Daymaker's, but I am VERY happy with mine and it looks and works great.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Oh, the plastic comb thing that comes with the kit, I had no idea where to put it, so it stayed in the garage of spare parts... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 01:40:18 PM »

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Oh, the plastic comb thing that comes with the kit, I had no idea where to put it, so it stayed in the garage of spare parts... :)

As some of you know I never back away from a project as in installing vents on my stock 00 SERG lowers, and a frame up rebuild on a "Rat Bushtec", I'm all over it. I did enjoy researching all about the EU and USA versions, red wires and different models for different year RG's since its been cold and raining in SoCal the last few days. With the adjuster screws being engineered wrong, I figured what else could go wrong so done back to the seller.
Thanks for the photos and link they helped a lot. The comb thingy was on a YouTube video I saw somewhere and was to protect the wires from the heat, screws on the left side of the unit, and after that ??
Looking forward to completing this install.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »

...must be some wires that need protecting in back of the left headlight. Here is the video and description for the Harness Protector at 3:10/7:47

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 05:57:08 PM »

Just got the new "Dan" version and what a difference !  They included the instructions from the OEM Harley DayMakers which at least give you a clue where everything goes. Going to have lights soon.  :orange:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 09:08:05 PM »

Dan
Is this what you mean about the bezel ?   Seems like there is a lot of space on the top between the headlight and bezel.

Lou

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 09:09:52 PM »

Dan
Is this what you mean about the bezel ?   Seems like there is a lot of space on the top between the headlight and bezel.

Lou

Mine is not at all like that.  The pieces fit together simply as one would expect and cover what you'd expect them to.  You can't reuse the original bezel.  Must use the one that came with the headlight.  Any chance you got them swapped?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »

Nothing in the garage to mix up, sent the other one back to the seller. I'd like to just use my old cover, but I guessing it would run too hot. Send me a pic of what yours looks like, maybe they sent me the wrong bezel.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »

Got this from the sellers description. Looks about what I have at this point.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 01:04:30 AM »

Rode it for awhile this afternoon.  Dead bugs happen....

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »

Yours looks like a better fit, less gap at the top. Do they run too hot for our original plastic cover ? I haven't popped in the bezel yet and maybe the gap will be less then.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »

Yours looks like a better fit, less gap at the top. Do they run too hot for our original plastic cover ? I haven't popped in the bezel yet and maybe the gap will be less then.

Less heat than HID.  If I remember correctly with the new bezel and light you can't use the outer cover though.  Not even if you wanted to.  I'd not had the outer cover on mine for years though.  Lost it when I started using the European reflector with its better pattern than the US version.  It didn't use the outer cover either.  I prefer the look without the outer cover.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »

Less heat than HID.  If I remember correctly with the new bezel and light you can't use the outer cover though.  Not even if you wanted to.  I'd not had the outer cover on mine for years though.  Lost it when I started using the European reflector with its better pattern than the US version.  It didn't use the outer cover either.  I prefer the look without the outer cover.

I understand its either one or the other snapping into those four slots. If heat isn't an issue I'd kind of like the cover over the bezel, looks like it might protect the inner fairing and electronics inside from moisture. If its just a matter of looks, I'm going to try the cover for a little while and see what happens. What could go wrong  :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »

I understand its either one or the other snapping into those four slots. If heat isn't an issue I'd kind of like the cover over the bezel, looks like it might protect the inner fairing and electronics inside from moisture. If its just a matter of looks, I'm going to try the cover for a little while and see what happens. What could go wrong  :nixweiss:

On the old lights the cover was there to protect more expensive and more difficult to replace light housing from road hazards.  Newer lights and better materials and the light housings stand up much better. 

Still vividly remember when I put the Euro housing in my bike some years ago and didn't need the outer cover anymore.  To my eyes the bike looked much more dated with the cover than without.  Sort of like me in skinny jeans; ten years younger!!

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 08:30:18 AM »

On the old lights the cover was there to protect more expensive and more difficult to replace light housing from road hazards.  Newer lights and better materials and the light housings stand up much better. 

Still vividly remember when I put the Euro housing in my bike some years ago and didn't need the outer cover anymore.  To my eyes the bike looked much more dated with the cover than without.  Sort of like me in skinny jeans; ten years younger!!

I'm liking the old look, but will keep the new bezel around for when the outer cover finally falls off or melts, what could go wrong  :nixweiss:
If anyone is reading this besides us, lesson learned is spend the extra bucks and get the Dan version with proper installation hardware and no extra wires. 

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »

I forgot yours is the early version with the lens over the entire assembly.  Mine being an '09 with the trim bezel and exposed beams, mine fit better.  I ordered the black inside with the black bezel.  So if there is any minor gaps it all blends in and no one is the wiser.  Also, I preset mine with "about" the same angle and was very surprised at how much more I had to go down with the adjusters.

But again, overall I'm very happy.

Yours looks great!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »

I forgot yours is the early version with the lens over the entire assembly.  Mine being an '09 with the trim bezel and exposed beams, mine fit better.  I ordered the black inside with the black bezel.  So if there is any minor gaps it all blends in and no one is the wiser.  Also, I preset mine with "about" the same angle and was very surprised at how much more I had to go down with the adjusters.

But again, overall I'm very happy.

Yours looks great!

I had to screw the bottom adjusters all the way in on to get the fairing back on. They stuck out too much to get fairing to hook up, but all is well now. I will adjust the headlights tonight, but not sure about the clear cover yet. There seems to be some reflection off the clear lens that doesn't look right.
Just got back and WOW what a difference  :vrolijk27:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:42:26 PM by grandpadoc »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 24 queries.