Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Black specs (road grime) under exhaust...  (Read 14236 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Black specs (road grime) under exhaust...
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »

I'll do you one better than steel wool ... SOS pads.   The soap does most of the work.  No scratches (look at my bike).  Easy, peasy.
/quote]

Really?? Hopefully everyone knows your kidding. That stuff will scratch a old time porcelain sink, not to mention baked enamel.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 10:30:17 PM »

Steel wool, be it plain or in the form of S&S pads, will in fact leave micro-scratches in chrome plated surfaces.  Depending on the quality of the plating, it may become obvious quickly or it may take years, but eventually it will affect the appearance of the part.  For those who don't believe me, all I can say is get a decent magnifier and look a bit closer at those chrome plated parts you've been scrubbing with steel wool on a regular basis.

Abrasives are for those who lack the patience to let the solvents work.  IMHO, it is best to always start with the mildest approach and only escalate to harsher methods if absolutely necessary.  You don't clean your new paint job with compound before trying regular non-abrasive cleaners, right?  So why do it with a plated surface?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 03:19:11 PM »

Had good success with Goof Off Pro Strength remover on chrome. Takes tar and boot rubber right off.  Does not appear to harm the chrome but would not get it on aluminum or painted surfaces.  Probably would not hurt to wash area afterward and polish to remove any remaining solvent.

Didn't know Goof Off Pro Strength is available...
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

Steventammy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 11:53:50 PM »

Mr. Turtle Chrome Polish
Steve & Tammy
2011 CVO RGU

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 10:10:20 AM »

Mr. Turtle Chrome Polish

that's my choice on boot marks etc. just hot H2O, rag, windex on normal clean or wipe down or detailer in spray
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 12:48:32 PM »

Didn't know Goof Off Pro Strength is available...
Most hardware stores carry the Goof Off Pro in the section with the mineral spirits and lacquer thinners.  I usually get the variety in the small yellow round can.  I think they make a paint stripper too but the one I get is just meant for removing latex paint, glue and tar.  Its a pretty strong solvent so I've been afraid to get it on powder coat or painted surfaces.  Can says it can be used on cured auto finishes but I've not wanted to test that on my bike.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ultrarider123

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »

Jerry I have used 0000 steel wool wet for years and not one scratch. No need to get aggressive the black stuff comes right off.

I don't use it often but I, too, use steel wool.  You don't have to scrub, the "stuff" comes right off and I've yet to run into any rust/chrome depletion issues for 30 plus years of using it that method.  It's my last line of attack when something just won't come off.  WD40 and let it soak on a cool pipe normally does the trick.  Again, with the steel wool, you don't have to rub it like Aladdin's lamp to get it to work... ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »

I don't use it often but I, too, use steel wool.  You don't have to scrub, the "stuff" comes right off and I've yet to run into any rust/chrome depletion issues for 30 plus years of using it that method.  It's my last line of attack when something just won't come off.  WD40 and let it soak on a cool pipe normally does the trick.  Again, with the steel wool, you don't have to rub it like Aladdin's lamp to get it to work... ;D

True, but when handling out advice to people you don't know and you don't know anything about, I stay on the conservative side.  I've known people who don't have a clue what "finess" means, and they can screw up pretty much anything they touch.  I assume you know some as well.  One of my favorite examples is the guy who blows off the entire idea of using torque specs and torque wrenches and just keeps pulling on the wrench until something screeches (or breaks).  I've also seen people use the heavy duty compound on a car paint job until they burn through the clearcoat.  The examples are pretty much endless.

Start with the most gentle method and only escalate if that doesn't work is still good advice in my humble opinion.  Going nuclear right off the bat might be quicker, but that method carries many risks.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »

Well said Jerry.
Tried the Goof Off Pro, (had some just didn't realize it), but it didn't really solve the little black dots on the exhaust.  You can scratch them off with your fingernail though, but that's a pain.  Wondering if lacquer thinner is too abrasive to try....  Not sure I want to try steel wool or SOS just yet.  I will try to work my way up the ladder till I've exhausted all other options.
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 04:09:37 PM »

Sometimes detail spray, a good microfiber and a wet fingernail along with some time work the best
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

mark

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »

I get those black spots too.  Some will come off with chrome cleaner, but the ones that won't I get off with Goof Off (the solvent one, which resembles a small can of lighter fluid). 

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 08:41:22 PM »

I get those black spots too.  Some will come off with chrome cleaner, but the ones that won't I get off with Goof Off (the solvent one, which resembles a small can of lighter fluid).

Just bought Mother's Chrome Polish to try.  Goof Off Pro did nothing.
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

mark

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 07:43:05 PM »

Just bought Mother's Chrome Polish to try.  Goof Off Pro did nothing.

Of all the creme chrome polishes I've bought (which are many), the most aggressive is the one made by Turtle Wax...it's probably the least costly too.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 08:07:18 PM »

But is it abrasive?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

mark

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »

No, it's not abrasive (the Turtle Wax chrome cleaner), but on the chrome cleaner scale, it would have more abrasiveness than say Never Dull.  If there is something on my chrome that I can't get off with Never Dull, etc., I move to the Turtle Wax chrome cleaner.  I'm the pickiest man in the world (according to my wife), so if there was any chance the Turtle Wax would  damage the chrome, I wouldn't use it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.