Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Winter project, need some help  (Read 8525 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Winter project, need some help
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »

Well, can't believe my good fortune, I just "won" this tonight on ebay

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

Re: Winter project, need some help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:57 PM »

Ended up getting the tank for $26.01, couldn't believe it. Well below what I was willing to pay.

The reason it was so reasonable is the dent you can see in this photo of the left side of the tank.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »

As I got to thinking about how beautiful a piece of art this tank is I was struck by the idea of making it a piece of wall art. So - - - I am thinking of cutting the tank in half lengthways and mounting the good RH side to a nice piece of Walnut or teak plaque material with some gold leaf on the edges. Making the board large enough so that I have room to mount a photo of my bike (perhaps with me and the misses on it).

My wife already thinks I'm crazy but I just think this could turn out cool. I think it is cool that the RH side is the good side and looking at the bike from the RH side looks like forward motion (perhaps it's because I'm right handed).

I would be interested in the thoughts/ideas from this community. I am aware that replacing one of these tanks is a $1,500 project (already checked with my service tech) and that I am about to deface 1 of 1,400 of these original beauties. Strangely enough, that seems ok to me.

Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts, ideas, ruminations or criticisms.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:45:46 PM by Buy early »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »

Here's the battery box on my bike as it stands. All that red real estate on the battery box screams out for some sort of treatment and I think a flame would be the best.

Anyone with other thoughts?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »

Ended up getting the tank for $26.01, couldn't believe it. Well below what I was willing to pay.

The reason it was so reasonable is the dent you can see in this photo of the left side of the tank.

I'd check with one of those shops that pops dents out using a variety of tools before I went to cutting that tank up. Those guys can work miracles and the dents in that tank don't seem to have any creases. If they can fix it, your find on e-bay will become a steal

B B

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »

I would also llok for a dent person like a dent wizard or a dent man paintless dent removall :2vrolijk_21:
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:49 AM »

And mine makes three votes for the "Dent Wizard". You'd be surprised at what they can do and if it looks like new... well good for you. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »

Have you considered buying a glass (or plexi) cocktail table or end table that you can put art inside like a big shadow box?  The tank might fit nicely in a end table.  You'd need more memorabilia to fill a cocktail/coffee table but it would look good.

Another idea is a lamp of similar design.  DCFiremann can send you pics of his lamps that have birds mounted inside with backlighting for display or a nightlight.  They actually look pretty cool.  Making them with Harley memorabilia would look fabulous.  I've seen the plaques that you've mentioned and the miniature versions look good.  I guess if the tank didn't cost that much and you're pretty sure you won't ever have a need for it, the plaque is a good idea.  But geez, they are limited in number.  If it was me, I'd probably mount the wooden frame around the whole tank and then knock a dadgum hole in the wall so it could be mounted flush as if it was only half a tank before I'd actually cut the tank in half.  Heck, patching the drywall might be cheaper than replacing the tank!  How big is the ding in it?  Tried popping it out like a hail-dent on a car?  I'd tell you how I've done that on my cars but if it doesn't go well, I wouldn't want to take the blame and your bike is worth a lot more than my Honda or Suburban!  It might not work anyway because it's not as flimsy as a roof or hood of a car.

Another option is picking up a plain, non-CVO tank that is damaged on one side and just have your guy split it and make you a replica of the red tank.  I'd have him do it first to see if he can truly match the goldleaf exactly.  Then continue the theme by displaying the full tank in the bottom of a table, bar, display case, lamp stand, or whatever in your Harley room.
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »

Thanks for the ideas everyone (especially Vgirl). I had actually thought of mounting the whole tank on a plaque and knocking a hole in the wall behind it so it looks like 1/2 a tank. Like your idea of a lamp or putting it in some sort of case or table. In addition to the dent, the tank also has a chip on the left side. Haven't seen it yet so not sure how bad it is. Will post some photos when the tank arrives. I'm hesitant to put much money in it as I don't really need it (at least not yet), but just couldn't pass on the opportunity to pick it up.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »

Just came across this when I googled "motorcycle tank art". Pretty wild idea!

"No we can't think of why anyone in the world would actually want a PC shaped like a customised black motorcycle tank dressed in classic hotrod flames either. But then we're not American. If you are, or if you're just a bit bonkers, then you might like the Think Tank (definitely not to be confused with the Blur album of the same name)

It comes with a built-in AM/FM radio and CD player. It also includes a memory card reader, USB, fire wire and sound port in front to connect easily with digital camera cards or MP3 players. Prices start at $1150 and go up to $1999. The Think Tank is also available in a classic American flag design with a showroom shine."

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »

Got the tank and the dents didn't look too bad. Took it to 3 body shops (one specializing in bikes) and all three said that because of the thickness of the metal used in HD tanks it is not possible to remove dents like you can in cars. One suggested I seal all openings, pour in water and let it freeze. As the water expands, the dents will be forced out. Not sure how I feel about that. Continue to consider making some sort of wall or table art out of the tank (1/2 or all of it). Hit the web and found this site:

http://www.motorcyclememorials.com/index.php

Don't know that I'm dying to get into my tank but I was amazed that someone could make a business of this.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »

Got the tank and the dents didn't look too bad. Took it to 3 body shops (one specializing in bikes) and all three said that because of the thickness of the metal used in HD tanks it is not possible to remove dents like you can in cars. One suggested I seal all openings, pour in water and let it freeze. As the water expands, the dents will be forced out. Not sure how I feel about that. Continue to consider making some sort of wall or table art out of the tank (1/2 or all of it). Hit the web and found this site:

http://www.motorcyclememorials.com/index.php

Don't know that I'm dying to get into my tank but I was amazed that someone could make a business of this.

I like the freezing water idea. I'm sure it will work. There's actually some complicated natural physics theories involved with this principal that have been tested and proven. I'm a little rusty on the experiments but the gist of them is that before the ice would break the metal it will cease to freeze - - - something to do with the energy being released as the water expands and pushes against the metal creating just enough heat to raise the temperature to where the water stops freezing. Anyway, what most likely will happen is that the water will push out through the crossover tubes to relieve enough pressure that once the dents pop, it won't distort the tank or pop the cap. What I'd do is if you have a chest freezer, put the tank filled with water into the freezer and keep an eye on it. When the dents pop they should make enough noice that you'll hear it.

B B 

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 01:25:59 AM »

I have popped out large dents in heavy steel tanks by using water pressure from a garden hose. You would be amazed at what you can do with 60psi.

If you put the gas caps on and could plug the crossover vent you could hook a garden hose with a pressure gauge  to the fuel  outlet and give it just 2-3 psi and go from there if necessary. I know when you pop dents out of cars, it is helpful to heat the paint up with a heat gun to keep the paint pliable and keep it from cracking. I would think if you did the freezer trick, it would probably fix the dent but the cold temperature would make the paint brittle and you might end up with paint problems.

Anyway, try something and let us know the results!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »

Finishing up a project I started last fall. Had been looking for someone to cut and mount the WG2 tank I purchased (see earlier posts in this thread). I was out in Denver last fall and went into Sun Harley Davidson. On their wall were several half tanks, mounted on wood, painted in various schemes. They were fiberglass dummy tanks just there to show paint options but they looked like what I was looking for.  I talked to the Service Manager and asked him if he could do it with my tank and he said no problem. Purchased a black plaque board and shipped the stuff to him last fall. My friend from Denver brought it back this week when he came to visit because I didn't want to risk damage shipping it.

Turned out better than expected. Will get a nice brass nameplate made and try to find a proper wall for display in out house. Kandy doesn't like my first option - on the wall above our bed. Don't know what's with her???
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 09:23:51 PM by Buy early »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 11:26:06 PM »

View 2 - had a flames themed gas cap golded for another project and ended up busting the cap when I dropped it. That gives me a spare for this project, looks good.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:49:57 AM by Buy early »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 24 queries.