Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Author Topic: So how do you keep your bike clean between washing??  (Read 46809 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
So how do you keep your bike clean between washing??
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

Bike is clean, go out for a long day ride, now what?? A buddy of mine keeps a bucket of water with only a little soap in it, uses that to wipe down his bike between washing. Don't want to rub the dirt into the black paint!! Suggestions??

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
Re: So how do you keep your bike clean between washing??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »

Best to use water with no soap - I do same...basically the old-fashioned "whore's bath".....works fine.  No pressure on the wet cloth, let the water do the work.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »

Bucket, water with car wash soap and a sponge. I wash mine completely when dirty, never in my life wiped a car or bike down to partial clean, take a few extra minutes and just wash it dry it and smile.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »

Man I am feeling you on the all or nothing, but it is a job. I run hot water through a softener and filter, wash it, dry it with a air dryer, it's a good hour minimum, usually more. Just looking for an inbetween wash's, maybe there is no such thing.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:02 PM »

This guy doesn't worry about in between times :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:22:40 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »

I don't. I only do complete washes. If the bike is dry I don't rub on it with
anything.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »

I have plenty of microfiber hand size cloths. Since my bike is a springer, about the only place on my paint that collects bugs is the front portions of my fuel tank.  I start with a clean microfiber cloth dampened with water and lay it over the buggy areas on both sides without wiping.  Let it soak about 5 minutes occasionally spraying additional water on the towels to keep them wet then I remove those towels without wiping and use another damp towel to softly wipe away the bugs. Been doing this on my bikes for years and haven't caused any scratches in the clear coat because of it.  It probably helps also that I do it promptly after riding and don't let the bugs stay there to etch into the paint or get too dry. Here in the south during spring and summer you would have to wash your bike every time you rode it otherwise. When I text a friend about going riding it usually says " wanna go kill some bugs? "
Jesus is Lord

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:04:30 AM »

Just keep some of their friends on call

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »

X2 use it all the time and it works great!

I use this also for quick detailing in between major washes to remove bugs from the bike and helmet - using a clean t-shirt/rag it doesn't leave swirls on paint and works great on chrome. THe Jubilee polish in green is probably very similar.

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »

Griot's Speed Shine is what your looking for.  I've used it for years for quick touch up's between washes works great.  Just spray surface and gently wipe with clean microfiber cloth.  No swirls or scratches just a clean deep gloss finish.  You don't need to use a lot just a light mist with a light hand buffing and your done great for all surfaces and finishes.  You can check it out here at http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/car+polishes/speed+shine.do I just luv this stuff.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:19 PM »

Griot's Speed Shine is what your looking for.  I've used it for years for quick touch up's between washes works great.  Just spray surface and gently wipe with clean microfiber cloth.  No swirls or scratches just a clean deep gloss finish.  You don't need to use a lot just a light mist with a light hand buffing and your done great for all surfaces and finishes.  You can check it out here at http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/car+polishes/speed+shine.do I just luv this stuff.

Griots is a MAJOR black hole for $'s! So many nice products and kits and accessories, so little cash!

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 10:26:03 PM »

Well if you don't wan't to spend your $ at Griot's.  You can try to find Auto Tech's spray and shine part no:AT-150 same product just harder to find without an account with them.  Only recomended Groit's because it's easier to get!  Any way if you want to set up an account with auto tech here's their link http://www.autotechproducts.com/home.html
                                                  Hope this helps
                                                       Cory

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »

I only use Glare products on my bike!!!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 03:01:24 PM »

I've been known to push mine outside during a good rain to let mother nature wash the dust off.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »

My $.02:

The Griot's Garage Products are pricey but fabulous.  My '08 F-150, after multiple trips to Mammoth in the snow, mud, etc., looks new after using their orbital polisher.  Their Speed Shine is  great too.   After washing the bike, I use the spray wax and then dry the bike.  Works great. 

The product I always take with me, though, is Protect All Spray Cleaner Wax.  It's like the Honda product above but also has Carnubba wax in it.  Great for paint, chrome, plastic and even your seat.  Help's bugs not stick too.  A lot of HD shops carry it and though it's more $$ than the Honda product, one spray can lasts for months. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Glenncarp

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »

http://www.aceitpolish.com/shop/

Found this stuff at vendor booth in Daytona for bike week. Works great on paint, chrome and even windshield and the most impressive part is that after you aply it, you CAN NOT leave smudge marks on windshield. spray on and wipe off with micrfiber cloth. Leaves a "wax feel" on bike. Not sure why they sell a chrome polish as vendor rep told me that this is not leave residue on chrome and I have found it does not. Little expensive but worth it in MH0. But two small sample bottles at show and recently purchased two larger bottles as I like this product.

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 12:35:40 AM »

When they first rolled out the Harley Gloss it was actually Honda Shine, with a new label and a higher price tag. The Honda stuff is real good.

BIGNICK

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »

A clean microfiber towel and Pledge

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »

My $.02:

The Griot's Garage Products are pricey but fabulous.  My '08 F-150, after multiple trips to Mammoth in the snow, mud, etc., looks new after using their orbital polisher.  Their Speed Shine is  great too.   After washing the bike, I use the spray wax and then dry the bike.  Works great. 

The product I always take with me, though, is Protect All Spray Cleaner Wax.  It's like the Honda product above but also has Carnubba wax in it.  Great for paint, chrome, plastic and even your seat.  Help's bugs not stick too.  A lot of HD shops carry it and though it's more $$ than the Honda product, one spray can lasts for months. 

Been using Protect All for years,
I have tried others but I fine Protect All works best.
I do fine if i get it on my hands it drys them out,
but works great on leather
2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines

rdk

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »

I like Wizards products, Mist n Shine as a quick detailer, Wipe down for Denim finish, they also make Bug Release, and Bike wash.All are excellent.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »

I don't. I only do complete washes. If the bike is dry I don't rub on it with
anything.

X2   :2vrolijk_21:   I try not to touch my paint or windshield ever, between washes.  Have just learned it the hard way over the years, with a number of new bikes and new windshields. :2vrolijk_21:  Anything else, you're just rubbing the dust and dirt around with a rag on your paint.

Funny story........having said that.  Most people that know me know that my bike is always clean.  Except when I'm on the road.  On several occassions, some of you have ribbed me about the way that my bike looked in some of the pics that I've posted.  After we all returned from Ariz. Bike Week a little while back, Terrie and I stopped at Eagle's Nest HD on the way home, to get new tires (no appt. needed).  As they finished up, I got on my bike in the service dept. and got ready to ride out.  A guy walked up to me and said "why don't you wash that bike......people like you don't deserve a bike like that".  I was waiting for him to wind down when the service writer told him "chill dude, they just rode in from Arizona".  I spent all day the next day detailing both of our bikes. ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:28:04 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »

X2   :2vrolijk_21:   I try not to touch my paint or windshield ever, between washes.  Have just learned it the hard way over the years, with a number of new bikes and new windshields. :2vrolijk_21:  Anything else, you're just rubbing the dust and dirt around with a rag on your paint.Funny story........having said that.  Most people that know me know that my bike is always clean.  Except when I'm on the road.  On several occassions, some of you have ribbed me about the way that my bike looked in some of the pics that I've posted.  After we all returned from Ariz. Bike Week a little while back, Terrie and I stopped at Eagle's Nest HD on the way home, to get new tires (no appt. needed).  As they finished up, I got on my bike in the service dept. and got ready to ride out.  A guy walked up to me and said "why don't you wash that bike......people like you don't deserve a bike like that".  I was waiting for him to wind down when the service writer told him "chill dude, they just rode in from Arizona".  I spent all day the next day detailing both of our bikes. ;D

X2!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:32:08 PM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »

TRY Bug SLIDE   its fantastic  ITs The GOODS

Try it you will like it......................Great on black
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 04:43:10 AM »

I'm in the "never put my bike away dirty" crowd....most of the time I just give it a light touch with a clean, soaking wet wash mit and remove the bugs...I even have a separate new clean mit just for the windshield to avoid scratching.  My shield is crystal clear with no scratches and is now 46K miles old.  I'll clean the chrome front wheel this way (with a wet mit) unless I've ridden on wet roads, but not the rear wheel, that always needs a full wash, so my rear wheel doesn't look too good for long periods, but it's not too visible anyway (proof I am not quite the purist on cleanliness!!)
T

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »

I'm not a big fan of wiping the bike down dry.  I usually give it a quick wash if it's that bad, followed by a spray detailer to brighten things up.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »

I like to get bugs off before the bug juice etches into the paint and they get hard and try to bond with the paint.  Some road splatter that contains who know what will also soften paint it seems, like tars, leaked fluids, etc.  It's not always possible to wash with soap & water which is the best, so my next best approach is the steaming hot towel layed on the paint only after lightly dusting the top layer of dust with a feather duster.  This softens the bugs enought that with a good under-layer of glare, they just wipe off w/o soap.  Then there's not really any grit left to scratch as you dry it off with another towel.  If it works on a black finish w/o leaving scratches/swirls, it'll surely work on most anything else.  That's my drill at the present for on the road spit baths when you don't have the time, energy, or materials for a proper clean-up.  I think there are more differing opinions on this subject than what type of oil to use.  ??? har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »

After each ride I use Wizard's Mist and Shine for a quick wipe down. And Opus 1 on the windshield.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »

I use a quick detail product in between washes. actually I wipe the bike down before and after each ride.  The only time I wash the bike is when I get caught in a rain storm and about three times a year I completely wash it and polish it.  I also have a product for removing bugs if I have a bunch.  Always use a micro fiber towl and never wipe it dry.  Dry wiping causes fine scratches in the clear coat.
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

JohnnyRock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »

I also have a product for removing bugs if I have a bunch.

Which product?
FLHXSE/2
SERT
V&H Dresser Duals
CFR Slip-ons

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »

Which product?

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while.  Been riding.  I sell professional detailing products here in Kansas City that used to be known as Pig Glow.  We have a product known as Bug Melt.  It works great on heave bug collections. 

I also have several polishes, quick details, engine and wheel conditioner, and leather conditioners all that have 100% uv protection.  None of them have any wax or petroliem distillants so they don't collect dust, or make anything glossy, well except the paint.
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 08:22:59 PM »

I use the best, cheapest substance to extricate bugs off the bike after every ride.......lukewarm water....works like a charm as bugs are water soluble, for the most part.  I'm not agressive at removal; I let the water do the work and I try never to put the bike away dirty, that way the water works easier on fresh bugs.  If old, a wet towel laid over the windshield works very well....I use this same method on the front of my car and truck....works equally well and doesn't cost and is widely available.

T-man

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »

use a product called dri wash.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »

Leave it alone until you have time to wash it again. No product was ever made or is good to use between washes on a dusty/dirty surface. Your just rubbing dirt in with a chemical. Nothing good can come of that.
One thing is, if you are using Harley frt brake pads, and you use the brakes heavy, like most agressive riders do, then most of that black dust you get off the fender, tank, footboards, side covers etc is brake dust, read metallic dust or metal on your paint and chrome, so if you notice the lower chrome seems to have micro fine scratches after repeated "wipe downs", then guess what.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »

I dont know and dont care.....

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »

Really, I dont...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »

I dont know and dont care.....
You never said the detailers at the ceeeegar store looked like that? They are smoking hot!!! :D :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »

Ziggy wants a wash  :2vrolijk_21:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »

Ziggy's owner wants to watch Ziggy get a wash  :2vrolijk_21:
I fixed your post for you. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »

Donna would force me to have a dirty bike!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 04:57:14 PM »

Just the girls next door at Rachel's.... ::)

http://www.rachelspalmbeach.com/

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »

Bike is clean, go out for a long day ride, now what?? A buddy of mine keeps a bucket of water with only a little soap in it, uses that to wipe down his bike between washing. Don't want to rub the dirt into the black paint!! Suggestions??

I've tried all kinds of stuff.  A complete wash/detail of the bike after every ride is just not something I want to do, or always have time for.  So I've tried wet towels, S100 products, Honda spray, HD sprays, Glare Sahara, blah, blah, blah.  I am very particular (anal) about not putting swirl marks or scratches in the paint due to grit on the bike when cleaning, even with soap/water.  I finally found something that actually works...actually two products.  Griot's Garage has a product called Speed Wash.  If I have a lot of bugs on the front of the bike, and heavier road dust/film from rain, I'll use this to clean it all off.  It takes about 5 minutes to get the windshield, fairing, lowers, forks, mirrors, and front fender.  Another couple of minutes for the tops of the bags and rear.  You can do the whole bike, or all the parts you can see, in about 15 minutes.  I use Griot's green microfiber towels (comes in a kit) for this product.  Spray it on, let it sit for a minute, then wipe it off with one side of the cloth, buff with another side.  No swirls.  It's like the stuff has a lubricant in it.  It just works.  The other product for a quick shine, or just to remove dust, is Griot's Speed Shine.  Used with their Blue microfiber towels, this stuff shines the bike up while lifting the dust off.  Again, no swirls.  Their microfiber cloths are unlike any I've used...more plush, thicker, and super soft.  I'm still a Glare fan for the once a year serious polish/detail on every piece of the bike, but in between, these Griot's products are the ticket.  I don't know what's in it, but it's different than any other product I've tried.  I've yet to find any Griot's product that doesn't work as advertised.  I've got something for everything from them now.  I keep an 8oz bottle of Speed Shine and a blue microfiber on the bike all the time now, in addtition to one of the flat packages of Windex (no amonia) wipes to clean the windshield at fill-ups when traveling or on longer day rides.  I have hard water here at home, so using water to clean only happens when I have the time to thoroughly dry the bike off...I hate water spots, and my hard water leaves a ton of them if not dried right away.  Of course, the best option is pictured above.... :2vrolijk_21:  Who cares if they leave water spots?  :huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »

Really, I dont...

For the love of pete, someone help that poor girl with the wedgie.

fattner

• my 2012 cvo ,thankgod for harleys and star bucks
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »

I really never wash my bike unless it rains on me and if it unbelievably muddy . I clean my bike after every ride as soon as my bike cools down , I use "the glosser"  a disposible microfiber cloth w/ wax in the cloth  and follow up with a dry microfiber cloth, thats it  !!  I use the product on every part of the bike (chrome ,paint ,undernath the bike too,everything,,,,   it cleans and waxes at the sametime ,,clean bugs too !!!!!   I saw the product in a car magazine ,it works and  its cheap $7.99 for a package of 5 wipes (one wipe per cleaning ) pep boys carrys them  and available on line from the company . takecare everyone .....Harry. ca
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:55:02 PM by fattner »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »

For the love of pete, someone help that poor girl with the wedgie.
Can I!  Can it be me!  Please! 
I promise I will take my time and get it right!

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »

I use BugSlide its the best by far. And I've tried may others !!!!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 08:10:09 AM »

If you tip well so will the girls.... ;) ;D

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »

If you tip well so will the girls.... ;) ;D
:worthless:

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »

Find an old spray bottle like a windex bottle or similar, make sure it's washed out real good, now this is real important,,,fill it with plain tap water, that's it!!! Now find you a clean micro fiber towel, mist the areas to be cleaned let the water set for just a few seconds to moisten the bugs and wipe clean rotating the towel as it fills with bugs. Take an old newspaper wet it down lay it over your windshield, let set for several minutes. DO NOT USE THE PAPER TO CLEAN WINDSHIELD WITH. It will scratch it something terrible. Never use paper on your paint or chrome. Just think if it would scratch the lens in your eyeglasses what it can do too paint. This will only work if you have a good base coat of WAX on your paint, if not wash it. Also I know allot of guys like to go to these bike washes with all the gals washing your bike, just think you don't know how dirty or muddy the bike previous to yours was and they are using the same soap wash cloth on yours. If it's for a good cause I usually just donate the money and pass on the wash. JMHO

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »

Find an old spray bottle like a windex bottle or similar, make sure it's washed out real good, now this is real important,,,fill it with plain tap water, that's it!!! Now find you a clean micro fiber towel, mist the areas to be cleaned let the water set for just a few seconds to moisten the bugs and wipe clean rotating the towel as it fills with bugs. Take an old newspaper wet it down lay it over your windshield, let set for several minutes. DO NOT USE THE PAPER TO CLEAN WINDSHIELD WITH. It will scratch it something terrible. Never use paper on your paint or chrome. Just think if it would scratch the lens in your eyeglasses what it can do too paint. This will only work if you have a good base coat of WAX on your paint, if not wash it. Also I know allot of guys like to go to these bike washes with all the gals washing your bike, just think you don't know how dirty or muddy the bike previous to yours was and they are using the same soap wash cloth on yours. If it's for a good cause I usually just donate the money and pass on the wash. JMHO
Amen!!!! :2vrolijk_21: And that is the same reason I don't let my bike get washed at shop when I have it serviced. I use my own bucket, sponges, whatever, for specific parts of my bike and dump/change water for different parts of my bike.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »

If you would like to see what damage bugs can cause on your windshields and paint when left, take a look at a County or State Patrol Car. Look at the overhead lights and you can actually see the impressions of the bugs in the plastic where the bugs have etched themselves into the material. Does the same on the paint. After driving one of those cars for 21 years I have first hand experience on what kind of damage bugs can do to paint and plastic if left alone for a few days. I remove them from my bike asap.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2011, 09:19:44 PM »

If you would like to see what damage bugs can cause on your windshields and paint when left, take a look at a County or State Patrol Car. Look at the overhead lights and you can actually see the impressions of the bugs in the plastic where the bugs have etched themselves into the material. Does the same on the paint. After driving one of those cars for 21 years I have first hand experience on what kind of damage bugs can do to paint and plastic if left alone for a few days. I remove them from my bike asap.
X2

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »

Regardless of what you use when cleaning between washing you will end of with scratches or swirl marks. for bugs I use 60% water and 40% hydrogen peroxide. it works well as long as they have not been on it for a long time. will not hurt paint or plastic. I have been using this for years with no ill effects. with black or dark colors I rinse the bike off, I never dry clean my bikes. Honda spray is good but the dirt needs to be rised off.

just a thought

dd

2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 05:44:31 AM »

When on the road and hose/bucket/etc. is not available, use a towel and soak with plain water and lay on the bug residue until it softens them, then gently swab  away the bugs & dirt while rinsing and rinsing until it's clean enough to wipe down....then the Honda spray is good if you've brought it along.  (note: cleaning supplies take up precious room even on a bagger)  :P har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »

I use BugSlide its the best by far. And I've tried may others !!!!

I recently tried the BugSlide since we can't wash our vehicles due to water restrictions.  It worked real nice!!!!  The dealerships mark the hell up on the stuff, but you can purchase directly from them - they have a flat rate shipping charge.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »

I wash my bike once a year when I put it away for the winter, I bought it to ride, not to waste time washing it.

It's a motorcycle not a genie  ::)

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »

Used Griot's Garage "speed shine" yesterday for the first time.

Good stuff.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »

Used Griot's Garage "speed shine" yesterday for the first time.

Good stuff.

:2vrolijk_21:  IMO, it's about as good as it gets for it's intended purpose, and a little goes a long way.

TTS Mastertune

DUNK 2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:  IMO, it's about as good as it gets for it's intended purpose, and a little goes a long way.

Griot's microfiber towels pretty good too.  May start bathing with them  ;D

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »

Griot's microfiber towels pretty good too.  May start bathing with them  ;D

Not all microfiber is created equal...Griot's is the best I've ever used.  They would make a nice washcloth in the shower...hadn't thought of that application ;)

TTS Mastertune

+RO@D*R@GE+

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »

I use Capt. Richards best in between washes!! works great and doesn't scratch! use a microfiber cloth
best stuff I ever used
Don't talk about it....Be about it!!!
2012 cvo road glide maple
Fullsac DX headers
CFR Mufflers
TTS tuner

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »

Everyone has something that works for them. My bike is an 08 and I do not have swirl marks or fine scratches and the bike has 32000 miles on it. Use what works for you, just watch how you use it. I only wash my bike on the average of a couple of times a riding season, if you have a good base coat of wax not polish you should be able to get the dirt and bugs off without scrubbing or scratching the paint. Swirl marks are a result of putting polish on in a circular motion. Try putting your polish on in a straight line, that should eliminate the swirl marks. When WAXING do not let the wax dry or harden. Wipe it off as soon as it starts to haze. Then when you are done WAXING take a spray bottle of water and mist small areas at a time, take your micro fiber towel to wipe the mist off you will find that the mist of water will raise any WAX that you might have missed and it also helps set the WAX. You will be very happy with the end results. Just my 2 cents worth and 30 years of experience in detailing professionally

boston62

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2012, 05:19:19 PM »

I spray my bike down between washing with ZEP Glass Cleaner from Home Depot, then use a blower to blow dry, then wipe down. Shines like hell after...
2012 Ultra Classic Limited
SE Heavy Breather
Rush True Duels
Rush 4" Mufflers
Custom Dynamics LED Turn & Stop

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »

The ammonia in the glass cleaner will strip the wax from the paint.

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »

I just point at the dirt and it gets wiped off...............   :nervous:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »

I have a great wife who hates a dirty bike. She does a great job cleaning...
Bill

lakekruiser101

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »

:) i use WIZARDS SPRAY & SHINE......great product

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2012, 08:56:25 AM »

Between what washes? 

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

I have plenty of microfiber hand size cloths. Since my bike is a springer, about the only place on my paint that collects bugs is the front portions of my fuel tank.  I start with a clean microfiber cloth dampened with water and lay it over the buggy areas on both sides without wiping.  Let it soak about 5 minutes occasionally spraying additional water on the towels to keep them wet then I remove those towels without wiping and use another damp towel to softly wipe away the bugs. Been doing this on my bikes for years and haven't caused any scratches in the clear coat because of it.  It probably helps also that I do it promptly after riding and don't let the bugs stay there to etch into the paint or get too dry. Here in the south during spring and summer you would have to wash your bike every time you rode it otherwise. When I text a friend about going riding it usually says " wanna go kill some bugs? "

X2  on the Microfiber and don't let the bugs Stay on!!
Windex has premoistened wipes that are easy to pack, maybe not the best for the windshield, but I haven't had problems.
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

Puck

• Full CVO Member
  • LIVE FREE OR DIE......

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC vivid black...45" sissy bar & 18" 1.5 apes
    • CVO3: 2008 xl1200c bobtail,low riser,gauges,lowered,tuned,fast as hell
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »

Do a search for Adams products... Only thing I use on my new camaro and bikes...great stuff...

Puck

• Full CVO Member
  • LIVE FREE OR DIE......

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC vivid black...45" sissy bar & 18" 1.5 apes
    • CVO3: 2008 xl1200c bobtail,low riser,gauges,lowered,tuned,fast as hell
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »

Also funny to read all these and see how there are money no object guys and the super saver economy ways.....I'm just a typical guy that likes to use the best and have learned over the years you usually get what you pay for...

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »

I've been using Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba. 1 oz makes 32 ozs. Spray it on and wipe it off with a microfiber towel. It leave no swirls or scratches and is a great booster for the wax. For stubborn bugs I'll use a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water followed by the waterless wash. The pic was taken at 12,000 miles after 6 months.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »

Also funny to read all these and see how there are money no object guys and the super saver economy ways.....I'm just a typical guy that likes to use the best and have learned over the years you usually get what you pay for...

X2!!
Alan

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:45 PM »

I bet that's right!!!!!  ::)

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »

meguires?  ultimate spray detailer...works great, used it on all my cars and it works great on the bike too
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2013, 10:57:01 PM »

meguires?  ultimate spray detailer...works great, used it on all my cars and it works great on the bike too
Yep!!! Good stuff!!!!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »

A damp microfiber towel, dry then microfiber towel and Pledge, can't beat it! Even smells good!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »

Yep!!! Good stuff!!!!

I also use the Harley Bug Remover spray. Get rid of the bugs first, then I use the  Meguier's. All with the micro-fiber rags!!

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »

Lucas Slick Mist or ProtectAll.  I favor ProtectAll a little of Slick Mist because it leave no streaks if used sparingly.  Slick Mist can be sprayed on a wet surface and wiped off with a microfiber cloth and it leaves a great shine plus a wax layer. 
Do it now!

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2013, 08:50:26 PM »

Griot's Speed Shine and microfiber towel or the Honda spray wax and micro fiber towel or Plexus and microfiber towel.
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

Griot's Speed Shine and microfiber towel or the Honda spray wax and micro fiber towel or Plexus and microfiber towel.
No Honda spray going on my Hog!!!!  ;D

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »

Griots is a MAJOR black hole for $'s! So many nice products and kits and accessories, so little cash!
X2 on the Griots Speed Shine, works great!

JonMac

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2013, 08:29:37 PM »

I use Top Coat Spritz and Dry Wash with a microfiber cloth.

Tele

• dream as if you'll live for ever
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2013, 07:08:05 PM »

Mr sheen for every thing and a micro cloth after to dry. Ride safe stay healthy, ride like a moron !!!! Pain

+RO@D*R@GE+

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »

I've been using capt richards best for years in between washes....can't find anything that works better ....love the stuff!!! and you can use it on everything from your paint to your windshield to your chrome pipes!! :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.badtothebom.com/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:13:06 PM by +RO@D*R@GE+ »
Don't talk about it....Be about it!!!
2012 cvo road glide maple
Fullsac DX headers
CFR Mufflers
TTS tuner

ultrarider123

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »

I've kept a can of regular lemon Pledge (spray can, not the pump sprayer) in my cleaning product box for years.  If you notice, most motorcycle shops will sell Plexis (I won't use it) but actually use Pledge to shine/dust the bikes on the floor.  Pledge has additional cleaners plus wax and will leave a great shine w/no scratches.  It's a great between washes/waxes product and you can get a small can to take with you on trips.  The Pledge works on all surfaces (except the windshield...soap, warm water and microfiber for that).
As far as cloths/rags, you can't have enough good, quality microfiber cloths.  If you go cheap on those, you'll regret it.
I also have a good, OLD 100% cotton bedsheet (flannel) that is my ONLY detail/drying cloth.  The thing is 20 years old, soft as a baby's butt and WILL NOT scratch anything.
I also put all cloths, towels and cleaning rags in the washer after every cleaning.  Helps to keep everything fresh for the next time.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »

I carry the Lemon Pledge wipes with me. Use them all the time for general cleaning. Love them! Great for getting bugs off of everything but hot pipes. Even use them on the windshield/

Plan B for keeping the bike clean between washings:

don't ride it.

Believe it or not, some folks go with plan B.

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »

I Buy Meguiars......Final Inspection By the Gallon.......Great after the wash and between washes.....micro fiber Towels
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

CVOgliderider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Ultra
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2013, 10:56:55 PM »

I use Adam's detailing spray, awesome stuff. Great American made products. :2vrolijk_21:

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »

Hi All:

I have named my bike the filth Bit$h.   Every time I look at her she seems to need a bath!   :P

Personally, I use water drawn during a full moon from a fairy enchanted artesian well.

Seriously, though I do the whore bath.  Water and a micro fiber between full washings.  I always have a bottle of water in the bags and do a wipe down at gas stops, etc. to keep the bug juice at a minimum.  I also use Mcguire's Quick detail.  Here soon I plan to go with bug slide or another green cleaner I saw demo'ed at the dealership.  Sorry I can't remember the name right off, but it seemed pretty good.

I am sure you can find a lot more helpful posts than mine, but had to chime in with a little humor. :coolblue:

I am at the point where I am riding every available moment and don't spend enough time washing.  2 weeks and 2400 miles!

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »

I'm another Adam's product user.  I was skeptical until I started getting more seriously into detailing (pro-sumer level) and got all of their paint correction products.  I did my Lincoln LS with them and was amazed at how well it took out all the microswirls and scratches.  There are other products that will do just as good of a job like Griot's, Menzerna, etc but I'm sticking what I know works for me, plus everything they sell is Made in America.  They also have some of the best customer service I've ever experienced.  If you're not happy with a product for ANY reason - no matter how much of it is left, you can return it for a full refund.

I'm actually going to have to do some paint correction on my new baby, as the Dealership that I bought it from or people looking at it in the showroom managed to put quite a few microswirls and scratches into the paint in some of the panels.

For cleanings between washings where there is only a very slight film, I use Adam's Detail Spray - incredible stuff.  If there is a little bit more of a dust layer, I use their Waterless Wash, and follow up with the Detail Spray.

Everything is used with good quality microfibers from either Adam's direct or www.detailersdomain.com.

Keep shinin',

Tru

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2013, 08:54:23 AM »

I wash with Optimum No-Rinse.  Between washes I use a quick detailer and a microfiber.  My quick detailer is simply made from the the same Optimum No-Rinse and water in a spray bottle.  For the windshield I use Stoner's Invisible glass cleaner. 

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »

Hi All:

Based on this thread I decided to try Bug Slide.  All I can say is that I am impressed.
I had been using Mcguires Quick Detailer, but wasn't satisfied.

I have to say I am on the BugSlide wagon now.  It does a better job of removing road grime and gives a great shine finish.  I felt that the MG product wasn't cleaning, but trying to polish over gunk.  I am sold on Bug Slide.

Regards,

Mark :coolblue:

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »

I wash my bike between washings . 
Jesus is Lord

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2013, 12:05:18 AM »

I wash my bike between washings . 

I don't care what you say, that's funny.
Just get 'er done!   :bananarock:

Cheers,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »

I don't care what you say, that's funny.
Just get 'er done!   :bananarock:

Cheers,

Mark
   Me Too!!! Get er Done!!!!!!!!  ;D

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »

http://www.bikebrite.com/bike-brite-Motorcycle-Spray-Wash.html

Always use that one for quick washes.  Spray it and wash it right away... Quick and beautiful results ! 

:2vrolijk_21:

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »

Speed shine is awesome for between washes and provides a little protection between waxing too.  Griot's products are all great!
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2013, 12:13:34 AM »

:D

Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2013, 12:26:41 AM »

Keep it under a high quality breathable cover & don't ride it ;)

mgreen3940

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »

Wife and I use Bugslide and a clean microfiber cloth. 

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2013, 06:10:14 AM »

X2 Bugslide.
DND

FullTimeBikers

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic!
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2013, 10:25:51 PM »

A friend taught us this little trick , as we are very very particular in the cleaning of our bikes , we never use the carwash or hose , brut rather we use a weedsprayer with jet dry in it , the same stuff you put in the dishwasher , this keeps water pressure to a minimum , not blasting it into sensitive areas , and then we finish with an air blower , and just recently we started using Purple Slice to complete the job. Just my way of keeping it clean!
1999 BigDog Prosport , 2005 Swift Chopper 124 S&S , 2011 Harley Streetglide , 2013 CVO SE Ultra Classic !
You can't go wrong treating everybody right!

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2013, 09:08:28 AM »

Bug slide for the windshield and do not worry about the rest!

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2013, 09:04:25 PM »

I use the air compressor and blow all the dust off first. Then use a H2O soaked towel and gently wipe the bugs off. Dry with a old clean t-shirt and wax with Carnuba.  This Carnuba leaves a nice protective film that prevents future scratches. I do this to the bat wing, lower fairings, front fender and front of tank. Works great and takes about 15 min.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

slingshot6106

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »

Purple slice.......great stuff!

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »

I use Speed Shine from Griot's, been using for a long time on cars and bikes.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

My new found product.... Royal Blue Detail Spray ... Just Fantastic ...

azbic

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Sold but not forgotten.
    • CVO3: FXSTSSE2 Sold but not forgotten.
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »

Clay bar, wax with carnuba and speed shine between washes...of course there are not a whole lot of dirty days in the AZ.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2014, 05:11:40 AM »

When I'm too lazy for the good old whore's bath I break out the California Dash Duster ... works awesome. It's the perfect size for a bike and doesn't scratch provided you don't bear down on it, just use it with a light touch. As most of you know these baggers are like a dust magnet so why not use a duster? I put it on my jack and do the wheels too, but use a separate one for that ... also takes up very little space in the saddlebag. I keep a spray bottle of water and a few microfiber towels for the pesky bugs that get plastered on the front when on the road.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »

So far just wet paper towels.  Figure they will break up before I do any damage.

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40:34 AM »

So far just wet paper towels.  Figure they will break up before I do any damage.

I have a couple high end cars and I read their forums also.  I read there that paper towels are the worst to use because of the fibers in paper towels scratching the finish.  I can't say as I never used them.  I use Bug Slide and a microfiber towel between washes.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2014, 10:01:52 PM »

I have a couple high end cars and I read their forums also.  I read there that paper towels are the worst to use because of the fibers in paper towels scratching the finish.  I can't say as I never used them.  I use Bug Slide and a microfiber towel between washes.

Correct, paper towels will scratch the heck out of the clear coat.

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »

Gonna have to give this a try, I tip my hat to you sir. :2vrolijk_21:
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »

The surface of the paint is critical. Wax is good but temporary so i had a professional do a clear coat polish correction and then place a nano coating like Opticoat. After that things come off easier and there is less clear coat damage during washing or in-between detailing. I use Adams or Optiwash with a new microfiber after dusting with a feather type duster.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »

Meguires quick detailer and a microfiber cloth
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »

X3 I use this as well for the between cleanings.  A lot of the bike shops use this as well.

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »

Between washes, if its just dust and pollen, I use a swiffer. Works well without scratching.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:48 AM »

adams waterless wash http://adamspolishes.com/shop/adam-s-waterless-wash-towel-combo.html and Detail spray http://adamspolishes.com/shop/adam-s-detail-spray-16oz.html it's quick and no scratches I also use it on my Black CTSV Cadillac
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

sneezy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »

Lemon Pledge wipes followed by microfiber cloth. I use it on everything chrome, paint, windshield, mirrors.

Cross threaded

• 2015 CVO Street Glide
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »

I use Original Bike Sprirts.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com

Hard Candy Mercury/Smokey Quartz Flames
Screamin' Eagle 110
Rinehart True Duals
Rinehart 4" exhaust with Black tips
Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner
Yaffe Originals CVO Stealth III Plate Cover
OEM Chrome Inner Primary
OEM Chrome Starter
OEM Chrome Belt Guard
OEM Chrome Shift Linkage
OEM Chrome Motor Mount
OEM Chrome Motor Mount Linkage
OEM Chrome Fairing Vent
OEM Chrome Passanger Back Rest & CVO Pad
OEM Chrome Saddlebag Latches

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »

California dust from my street rodding days first then either Royal Blue or Grittiot detailer. If motor is dirty I do a full wash and hit the motor with Scrubbly Bubbles, chrome shines like new with little to no rubbing. Hit forks and wheels with it as well as mufflers and pipes.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »

Scrubbly Bubbles? Isn't that a stripper in LA?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »

So, I tried the Scrubbing Bubbles on my bike.  Used the Mega Shower Cleaner and the Color Power Cleaner.  http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/Products/Pages/mega-shower-foamer.aspx  Both worked the same, but the Shower Cleaner has a wide spray pattern.  Sprayed the whole bike down...paint, chrome, motor, tires, everything but the seat.  It looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy.  Waited a couple of minutes then hosed it off.  Amazing!  It cleaned everything...including the sand caked in oil around the starter.  Blow dried it, micro-fibered the areas that didn't blow dry, Royal Blue wax on the paint and chrome.  DONE!  Easiest bike wash I've ever done.  It didn't discolor anything either, including the silver motor.  Told my wife to buy some more because she wouldn't be cleaning the shower until she did   :oops:

Incidentally, I also used it to clean the clear ceramic doors on my fireplace.  Spray on, let sit five minutes, wipe off.  This stuff in incredible.  I usually spend over one hour scrubbing these doors each year using everything everyone has told me would work.  Now, it's a five minute job.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 21 queries.