Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apple Car play question-Google maps and music  (Read 641 times)

Glenncarp

Apple Car play question-Google maps and music
« on: November 22, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »

Went to dealer today, had WHIM flashed, plugged in IPhone and there she was, the Carplay icon! Sweet and dealer charged me $0.00, even better. Played around with it in  lot and then plugged in home address just to see how Google maps uses interface.

Had a few issues:
When voice prompt for maps came on, music stopped and I had to switch from maps to music and hit the play button again. After that, I noticed when I turn up music volume, it came on GTS screen as "prompt" , not "audio" which meant voice prompt volume was same as music, way too loud. Tried to switch music to iphone, but if you are using carplay, it has to be used through the carplay app.

Anyone notice the same? Anyone have a workaround or am I the only one not so happy with car play at this moment?

Thanks in advance

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
Re: Apple Car play question-Google maps and music
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »

There MAY be a "glitch" with the system since you dont actually have a WHIM causing the issue of having to restart the music...not totally sure.

That being said, you can adjust the volume of the prompts and music independently.  You can either go into the settings and adjust them, or while the prompts are talking you can use the remote to adjust.  Basically, you can adjust the music and prompts with the handlebar unit WHILE they are on (while the prompts are speaking.... will automatically switch to media after).  I hope that makes sense.
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 04:36:43 PM »

There MAY be a "glitch" with the system since you dont actually have a WHIM causing the issue of having to restart the music...not totally sure.

That being said, you can adjust the volume of the prompts and music independently.  You can either go into the settings and adjust them, or while the prompts are talking you can use the remote to adjust.  Basically, you can adjust the music and prompts with the handlebar unit WHILE they are on (while the prompts are speaking.... will automatically switch to media after).  I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply. You are probably correct with map issue as I plugged same phone into my truck and had no issues.

About the volume: Yep, use it all the time when prompts and music need adjusting, however this issue is only related to the Apple carplay, when there is a route on the map and want song volume turned up, even when no map voice prompts, the music volume is listed on screen as "prompt", so in my situation, HD is not differentiating between the Applecar play music and prompts. May also be due to having no WHIM, Guess only way to find out is to use a headset and see.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 07:51:47 AM »

Its been a month since I have been on my  19 due to the wreck, but I do not remember having any issues with the map prompt and music volume when using car play.  That may be because I was using google maps and then XM from the head unit for music.  I know this is the first version of Apple car play I have liked. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.