Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: New charger  (Read 3711 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

New charger
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:27:38 AM »

Picked up this charger/trickle. Hooked it up it started out at 12.3 and has gone up to 15.5 (in pic) since posting this it's at 15.6 now. Think it's faulty  :nixweiss: 15 + V  seems high or just me?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: New charger
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »

Manual says it should cut out (off charging at 0.08 A) and go on to trickle

Final Charge V should cut out at 14.8 (the "A" think is a miss print)

It seems to be sitting at 15.6 V

Any thoughts,

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:21:09 AM »

Add on a second volt meter to compare readings.
Don't want to over charge your battery to the point it begins to heat up.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »

14.6 volts is set voltage on Harley batteries. Agree, would verify with another volt meter.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Glenncarp

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »

Picked up this charger/trickle. Hooked it up it started out at 12.3 and has gone up to 15.5 (in pic) since posting this it's at 15.6 now. Think it's faulty  :nixweiss: 15 + V  seems high or just me?

I have made this mistake before, not for an HD charger, but several other electronic gadgets from Amazon. Found out that they take forever to arrive from China and the instruction are always in Chinenglish and the products last for a few months and quit. I have learned to spend a bit more and by a reputable brand name. Not sure if you bought a cheap knock off, but by the looks from your pic..................

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »

Don't know about your product but have been using a Battery Tender Plus for 20 years w/no issues.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »

Don't know about your product but have been using a Battery Tender Plus for 20 years w/no issues.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

X infinity on that! The Plus not the Jr. I have 5 of them and have never had an issue.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 11:47:22 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

This one says much the same thing. It too goes into a floating mode (trickle)  once the battery is completely charged.
My concern is it climbing up to 15.6 V before it switches over to trickle mode when the manual says in the mode with the icon motorbike/ car symbol is at 14.8 V  (it says 14.8A in the manual think it's a miss print)

I checked with a second meter and the readings the same. When I disconnect the charger the readings on the battery quickly drop down and settle down at 12.9/8V range.

Your Battery Tender Plus has no display ,.....do you know how high of Voltage it goes before switching over to float/trickle maintaining mode?
Would a charge of 15.6 V hurt the battery?  I realise its 3 V over a full charge of 12.5/9  but don't know if the is harmful to the battery.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »

Most so-called smart chargers have at least three stages.  The initial bulk charging stage or mode (constant current) brings the battery up to approximately 75 - 80% of full charge.  The next stage is called the absorption mode (constant voltage), and it's designed to bring the battery up to full charge using a higher constant voltage and tapering off the current until the battery reaches a full charge.  At that point the charger goes to the third stage which is a maintenance mode that applies a voltage only slightly higher than the fully charged battery produces, usually around 13.2 volts for batteries using modern chemistry.  During the absorption stage some chargers I've seen allow voltage to go as high as 15 - 16 volts.  Most chargers don't have a voltmeter, so most people don't realize these things do reach higher voltages than the bike's alternator/regulator produces. For those who have a multi-meter or dedicated voltmeter, attach the voltmeter leads to the battery terminals while your Battery Tender or other brand charger is charging your discharged battery (less than 80%) and note the various voltage levels as the charge progresses.  What your meter is reading is the voltage applied by the charger, not battery voltage.

The thing that kills batteries quickest is overheating, thus the old constant current chargers have become pretty much obsolete.  Those had to be constantly monitored to check for excessive temperature and outgassing.  Modern chargers, unless defective, take all the hassle out of monitoring the process through the use of electronics and feedback systems that self monitor and regulate the process. 

I agree with Glenn, since the process is pretty much invisible to the user it would be wise to stick with well known brand names.  I've developed a real distrust of the no-name Chinese stuff that can be found everywhere these days.  Our friends in China have demonstrated repeatedly they have no qualms about producing knock-offs of low quality or even unsafe products.  There is no one on either side of the ocean actually testing and weeding out the fakes or the defective/unsafe products.  Never assume the US regulatory agencies check incoming shipments, they do not. 

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 11:11:18 AM »

….

Your Battery Tender Plus has no display ,.....do you know how high of Voltage it goes before switching over to float/trickle maintaining mode?
Would a charge of 15.6 V hurt the battery?  I realise its 3 V over a full charge of 12.5/9  but don't know if the is harmful to the battery.

No display and I never bothered to check voltage... I've had one and it has worked for 20 years that's good enough for me. ;D Sometimes to much info can mislead or worry you. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »

No display and I never bothered to check voltage... I've had one and it has worked for 20 years that's good enough for me. ;D Sometimes to much info can mislead or worry you. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

No truer words said there. 
This has all come about because  I've been using a motobat charger but it doesn't have a trickle charge mode. It would charge up to 14.6V then shut down and not turn on again unless I unplug it and plug it back in again then it would start charging again. It had no display.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 01:27:40 PM »

Extremely well put Jerry, best explanation I've seen or heard. The electronics including the microprocessor in Deltrans' Battery Tender Plus has been touted as the best and most reliable on the market, but I'm no electrician. I just know that they work from experience.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

bpf

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 01:56:04 PM »

I know this chart, sorry it is in French, but the words used by grc just show up:

I guess a similar one could be found in English ("batterie classique" -> lead+acid). The highest voltage is 14.7V. I have a rig that can display the battery voltage, I never saw it over 14.8. 15.6 really seems to too high. Why not have a look at the battery's manufacturer site? There should be some datasheet of the battery, or a way to contact the manufacturer.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »

Most so-called smart chargers have at least three stages.  The initial bulk charging stage or mode (constant current) brings the battery up to approximately 75 - 80% of full charge.  The next stage is called the absorption mode (constant voltage), and it's designed to bring the battery up to full charge using a higher constant voltage and tapering off the current until the battery reaches a full charge.  At that point the charger goes to the third stage which is a maintenance mode that applies a voltage only slightly higher than the fully charged battery produces, usually around 13.2 volts for batteries using modern chemistry.  During the absorption stage some chargers I've seen allow voltage to go as high as 15 - 16 volts.  Most chargers don't have a voltmeter, so most people don't realize these things do reach higher voltages than the bike's alternator/regulator produces. For those who have a multi-meter or dedicated voltmeter, attach the voltmeter leads to the battery terminals while your Battery Tender or other brand charger is charging your discharged battery (less than 80%) and note the various voltage levels as the charge progresses.  What your meter is reading is the voltage applied by the charger, not battery voltage.

The thing that kills batteries quickest is overheating, thus the old constant current chargers have become pretty much obsolete.  Those had to be constantly monitored to check for excessive temperature and outgassing.  Modern chargers, unless defective, take all the hassle out of monitoring the process through the use of electronics and feedback systems that self monitor and regulate the process. 

I agree with Glenn, since the process is pretty much invisible to the user it would be wise to stick with well known brand names.  I've developed a real distrust of the no-name Chinese stuff that can be found everywhere these days.  Our friends in China have demonstrated repeatedly they have no qualms about producing knock-offs of low quality or even unsafe products.  There is no one on either side of the ocean actually testing and weeding out the fakes or the defective/unsafe products.  Never assume the US regulatory agencies check incoming shipments, they do not. 

JMHO - Jerry

Just as you described Jerry,
I've been keeping a close eye on this one and it does go though the same 3 mode like you described.  After monitoring this for the past couple days and doing volt checks to the battery the battery is at a holding charge of12.6/7 V .
Today I've put the ignition on as well as the head fans and all lights I let the battery  drop to 11.3V.
I then monitored the charging it went through 3 mode stages, started with the display of 0.8V change displaying with the battery icon flashing with 3 bars then it changed to a display of 14.6V with battery icon still flashing and battery icon bars climbing,  then the battery icon stopped flashing with full bars in the icon display and went to continues elimination the trickle mode the volts then climbed to 15.6V and maintained at that Voltage. After being on steady for 6hrs the Voltage has fallen off to 15.1V
I'll be leaving it hooked up and checking on it before I turn in then see how it is in the mornin
This is the first automatic charger guess maybe I'm just being a hard habit to break.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »

I know this chart, sorry it is in French, but the words used by grc just show up:

I guess a similar one could be found in English ("batterie classique" -> lead+acid). The highest voltage is 14.7V. I have a rig that can display the battery voltage, I never saw it over 14.8. 15.6 really seems to too high. Why not have a look at the battery's manufacturer site? There should be some datasheet of the battery, or a way to contact the manufacturer.

Thanks for the chart bpf,

The 15.6V isn't the battery Voltage it's Voltage the charger is putting out to the battery.

I believe the way it works the more the battery becomes fully charged the more resistance there is to the Voltage being put into it that the charger reads and the unit automatically reduces the input voltage.
I haven't had it on long enough yet to see/know were it will settle.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.