Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Helmet headset  (Read 752 times)

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
Helmet headset
« on: November 17, 2019, 11:00:20 AM »

While on trip recently noticed that when making a call with the HD Boom helmet headset, it was very difficult to hear.  The volume was adjusted to maximum and people could hear me fine.  Switched the music to headset and that was fine.  The part person suggested that the J&M would be a better one.  Do not do enough travel to switch to the Bluetooth arrangement and really prefer plugging in.  Are there any settings that need to adjust or should remove the HD Boom and get the J&M headset?  The turn prompts were not being heard also even though it was checked as being active.  Is there another way to get the navigation prompts to be heard?  Can usually look at the display but having the audible prompts would be helpful especially if there is traffic.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Helmet headset
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 11:47:59 AM »

I’ve used J&M for many years with great success and enjoyment. Got a new helmet a while back and before moving my J&am headset over to the new helmet I thought I try out the H-D factory headset that came with my bike. Hated it. Could not hear any of the audio nearly as well. I do have hearing loss but can hear all audio-music, intercom, CB, nav prompts and phone just fine. Quickly installed the J&M in my new helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 12:23:59 PM »

Not sure if this applies to your setup....I have found that on some Bluetooth headset used with a phone that the phone volume control is also a factor for the overall volume.  In other words, check to see that your phone volume is all the way up.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »

My HD Headset works great. I had a buddy give me the latest J&M and I removed the HD and installed the J&M (Supposed to be so much better you know) We both thought it sounded hollow when talking and the music just was not as good as the HD. Switched back to HD and returned the J&M to friend. That being said, no problem with hearing or being heard on either, makes me think you may have a problem, I would plug in a buddies helmet that has headphones and see what it does before buying anything.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 07:32:11 PM »

Try turning the volume up as the prompts are being given.  That is what helped with mine.
Than when on a call adjust the volume as the other person is talking.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »

This is probably a bit like an oil thread.  Yikes.  Or a thread about the best seat.  Everyone is different and no doubt their own experiences lead them to what works best for them.  I can only relate mine and want to add that I've always used the J&M Elite series headsets as they do make more than one and the Elite is the top of the line. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »

This is probably a bit like an oil thread.  Yikes.  Or a thread about the best seat.  Everyone is different and no doubt their own experiences lead them to what works best for them.  I can only relate mine and want to add that I've always used the J&M Elite series headsets as they do make more than one and the Elite is the top of the line.

x2
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 09:34:45 PM »

Are you sure that you have the "prompts" turned from speakers to headset in your bike SETTINGS as well as the music?
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.