Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO Heated Grips  (Read 2775 times)

X-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
CVO Heated Grips
« on: December 07, 2019, 01:17:29 AM »

I have some Kahuna heated grips to install on my 2019 CVO Road Glide. But before I tear into it, does anyone know if the connector for 12V power exists under the instrument bezel or do I need to order an accessory harness?
The wiring diagram in the service manual shows a connector but there seems to be conflicting opinion as to whether or not it actually exists.

Glenncarp

Re: CVO Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 07:11:13 PM »

I have some Kahuna heated grips to install on my 2019 CVO Road Glide. But before I tear into it, does anyone know if the connector for 12V power exists under the instrument bezel or do I need to order an accessory harness?
The wiring diagram in the service manual shows a connector but there seems to be conflicting opinion as to whether or not it actually exists.

Not sure about your install question, but I did not know these existed! Just sent link to Santa, I'll be watching this thread to see of your question is answered and if I can screw up the install myself or let local dealer screw up install. Lol

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »

When the dealer moved my Yaffe 14" Bars from my 18 CVO RG to my 19 CVO RG I had them install the 19 CVO Street Glide grips, which are the Kahuna but have the red bar and shield to match my bikes other accessories.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »

So do heated grips really make a difference?    I contemplated these but thought that the underside of my hands, on the grips, might stay warm but the rest of my hands, the part exposed to the wind, would still be cold?   Talked myself out of it but I have never ridden a bike with heated grips.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 08:28:44 PM »

Power connection is inside the fairing on the left side. Down near the speaker plug. It is small. Just installed them on my 2017. Piece of cake. Except for getting all the wiring internally run in the handlebars. That took work but can be done.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »

Power connection is inside the fairing on the left side. Down near the speaker plug. It is small. Just installed them on my 2017. Piece of cake. Except for getting all the wiring internally run in the handlebars. That took work but can be done.
OP is talking about a Shark, not a Batwing. All the HG wiring on a shark plugs in under the tach/speedo cluster.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:14:31 AM by OBB »
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »

So do heated grips really make a difference?

Yes. You’ll be surprised by the difference they make and, if you’re like me, you’ll find yourself using them more often than you would have imagined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »

Yes. You’ll be surprised by the difference they make and, if you’re like me, you’ll find yourself using them more often than you would have imagined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely. Even on a mildly cold / cool day I can ride with thin leather gloves and be comfortable. On really cold days heated gloves only warm the top of your hands and the heated grips the bottom. Great combo imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »

Absolutely. Even on a mildly cold / cool day I can ride with thin leather gloves and be comfortable. On really cold days heated gloves only warm the top of your hands and the heated grips the bottom. Great combo imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fully agree.  I can ride in colder weather with thinner gloves, where I would normally head heavy gauntlet gloves.  Also with heated gloves good to ride into the 20's
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Glenncarp

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 12:26:51 PM »

So do heated grips really make a difference?    I contemplated these but thought that the underside of my hands, on the grips, might stay warm but the rest of my hands, the part exposed to the wind, would still be cold?   Talked myself out of it but I have never ridden a bike with heated grips.

Had '11 and '16 CVO RG. Loved heated grips, really make difference. Also can feel heat through gloves on really cold day. So worth it I am going to put them on on '19 RG Special.

Only issue with HD grips is when they wear out, you need to buy and install new grips. If you go with Heat Demons, you can use any grip as heat elements go inside bar ends. Going to call Symtec today, but last time I checked, they did not make them for Road Glides.

Now, heated seat for $995? not worth the money IMHO

Glenncarp

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 01:07:23 PM »

Not sure about your install question, but I did not know these existed! Just sent link to Santa, I'll be watching this thread to see of your question is answered and if I can screw up the install myself or let local dealer screw up install. Lol

Just called my local Dealer and he quoted me $152 to install the Kahuna grips on my RG. For $152, not worth me struggling with it. Now to see of Santa was listening and saved the link i sent to her, eh, meant him. :)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 01:58:40 PM »

I fully agree.  I can ride in colder weather with thinner gloves, where I would normally head heavy gauntlet gloves.  Also with heated gloves good to ride into the 20's

I prefer thinner gloves to the thick bulky ones. Heated grips are also good to dry out your gloves quicker.  I have waterproof gloves but sometimes get caught with a non waterproof pair in a light rain.  Heated grips will not only warm your hands, they will dry your gloves or hands faster too.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.