Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Battery charger/Smart charger  (Read 7033 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Battery charger/Smart charger
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »

You could go with a cigarette plug adapter but you would have to purchase separately.The beauty of the pig tail wired diectly to the battery is you can use if for heated clothing or whatever else. The tender comes with the pigtail that is a direct connect and also one with alligator clips for temporary use. THE MUFFMAN

You cannot use the cig lighter to charge the battery as it is not on (powered) when the bike is off

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 11:15:47 AM »

Battery tender has always worked great for me.

I have 7 in use. (4 baggers, 2 scooters and Mustang)
Battery Tenders are a friend of mine.
I also have two spares in case one goes down.
That has happened twice in the past six years and I send them back to Battery Tender and they send me a new one.
Great product and great company to deal with.
Life is a good charge!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 03:20:50 PM »

I hook-up mine through the connection for my heated clothing, works great.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 03:36:01 PM »

You cannot use the cig lighter to charge the battery as it is not on (powered) when the bike is off

Good to know . i've never used it in seven years owning Ultras. THE MUFFMAN

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »

I keep coming back to this post about charging a battery from the cigarette lighter. I hope ya'll aren't trying to charge the battery on your bike by a battery tender adapted to the cigarette lighter on the same bike. That would be.....well...dumb.  ;D.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »

I run three battery tenders...2 on the HD's which stay plugged in 24/7 when they're not on the road, and one on the 5th Wheel battery when I store it for the winter at home.  I've never replaced an M/C battery by using a tender.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 05:31:09 AM »

I keep coming back to this post about charging a battery from the cigarette lighter. I hope ya'll aren't trying to charge the battery on your bike by a battery tender adapted to the cigarette lighter on the same bike. That would be.....well...dumb.  ;D.

Correct if that's what was intended. However, I assumed he was talking about the charger that plugs into the lighter from a household current source thereby charging the battery on the vehicle. THE MUFFMAN

REGGAB

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 06:12:54 AM »

I run battery tenders on both bikes.  They work.  The ones I bought came with a pigtail that had alligator clips on one end and a dual pole connector on the other.  Rather than purchase a separate pigtail, someone here suggested cutting off the alligator clips, installing ring terminals in their place and hooking it to the battery.  Wish I'd had those kinds of smarts before I bought my pigtails.   :2vrolijk_21:

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »

The cig lighters are not "live" when the bike is off, therefore you cannot charge the battery through it......unless you leave the bike on or in acc position which kind of defeats the charge......

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »

The cig lighters are not "live" when the bike is off, therefore you cannot charge the battery through it......unless you leave the bike on or in acc position which kind of defeats the charge......

I am just an ole country boy and I know nothing about mechancial systems compared to some. BUT, even if the cigarette lighter was powered with the ignition off, wouldn't it take as much energy to power the charger as the charge you'd get out of it? Otherwise, we'd have perpetual motion, which doesn't exist.  :nixweiss:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »

I am just an ole country boy and I know nothing about mechancial systems compared to some. BUT, even if the cigarette lighter was powered with the ignition off, wouldn't it take as much energy to power the charger as the charge you'd get out of it? Otherwise, we'd have perpetual motion, which doesn't exist.  :nixweiss:

WTF?   :nixweiss:
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 08:01:21 PM »

HeHe!!! Drunken menace!!! :alcohol: :alcohol: :alcohol: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »

HEY...I'm serious. You think you could charge a battery off the cigarette lighter?? If that's the case, I'll buy a bunch of batteries, and start selling power back to the power company.  ;D

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »

Ken, let me see if I can speak slowly enough for you on this... :P  They aren't trying to charge the bike by powering the tender off of the cigar lighter, but rather adapting the terminal ends of the tender, which is plugged into the wall outlet and running the charging current to the battery via the cigar lighter recepticle, instead of through a pig tail hooked up directly to the battery.   You're right, though if you tried to charge the battery by powering the tender from the cigar lighter, then that would be counter-productive.    ::) :P  Did that help?   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 08:13:20 PM »

HEY...I'm serious. You think you could charge a battery off the cigarette lighter?? If that's the case, I'll buy a bunch of batteries, and start selling power back to the power company.  ;D

OK, I will bite...............You could charge your battery with a tender if the acc plug was always on.

You can sell power back to the power company if you can produce it.

What this has to do with batteries am I not sure?

of course you have to plug the battery tender in a wall (115V) outlet......

DUH!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 08:15:39 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.