Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS Nav system  (Read 2205 times)

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
GPS Nav system
« on: October 01, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »

Just bought a 09 SEUG but am wary about the nav system.  I have been runing a GPS for five years on my RK and it has taken me all around the US.  This nav system seems anemic by comparison.  You cannot put in your own trip with waypoints and addresses, etc.  How does one use this system or is it just expensive garbage?  Other SEUC owners I have asked don't know much about it.  Either did the factory when I asked them.  The dealer said call Garmin as it is their unit but Garmin knew nothing about it.

Please share your experience with this system.  Thanks.

Road Hog
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:55:44 PM by Road Hog »
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: GPS Nav system
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:46:49 PM »

Just bought a 09 SEUG but am weary about the nav system.  I have been runing a GPS for five years on my RK and it has taken me all around the US.  This nav system seems anemic by comparison.  You cannot put in your own trip with waypoints and addresses, etc.  How does one use this system or is it just expensive garbage?  Other SEUC owners I have asked don't know much about it.  Either did the factory when I asked them.  The dealer said call Garmin as it is their unit but Garmin knew nothing about it.

Road Hog
Road Hog,
There are a lot of people that don't like the built-in GPS system on the SEUC and have opted to go with the Garmin Zumo.  I personally don't have many issues with it.  It's not a capable as the stand alone GPS units (such as the Zumo), but it does get me around adequately. 

The SEUC's navigation unit is not built by Garmin that's why they didn't know anything about it.  It's actually built by Harmon-Kardon, the same folks that build the radio for the SEUC.  Try giving them a call.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

I used a Garmin on my 02, 03 Ultras and 04SEEG.  When I got my 07 FLHTCUSE I used the built in GPS on one trip.  That was enough!  I transfered the Garmin to the 07.  Eventually pulled the nav card out of the 07 and sold it on ebay.  The GPS in the 07-09 is OK, if you've never used anything else.  Just doesn't compare to a "real" GPS!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:04 PM »

I wonder if the HK GPS has a track log that could be used against you should you be involved in a situation where your speed could be a factor?
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Ultra Villa

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

• CVO1: 14 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHX
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 02:56:48 PM »

I have problem with my built in unit.  Besides it being very limited, right now it does not work.  I previously used the Quest and loved it, except for the small screen.  So a Zumo seems to be in my future.
Live for today, for yesterday is already gone and tomorrow may never come.

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 02:57:30 PM »

Road Hog,
There are a lot of people that don't like the built-in GPS system on the SEUC and have opted to go with the Garmin Zumo.  I personally don't have many issues with it.  It's not a capable as the stand alone GPS units (such as the Zumo), but it does get me around adequately. 

The SEUC's navigation unit is not built by Garmin that's why they didn't know anything about it.  It's actually built by Harmon-Kardon, the same folks that build the radio for the SEUC.  Try giving them a call.

together with Becker Europe
  :devil:

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »

Just bought a 09 SEUG but am wary about the nav system.  I have been runing a GPS for five years on my RK and it has taken me all around the US.  This nav system seems anemic by comparison.  You cannot put in your own trip with waypoints and addresses, etc.  How does one use this system or is it just expensive garbage?  Other SEUC owners I have asked don't know much about it.  Either did the factory when I asked them.  The dealer said call Garmin as it is their unit but Garmin knew nothing about it.

Road Hog
I had the same system on my '08 SEUC. It is a shame that H-D did not upgrade it. It is very outdated, using CD's for map storage. This is very cumbersome, since you might have to switch the CD's enroute. Functionality compared to Garmin Zumo or TomTom Rider 2 is simply not there. No color maps, no touch screen etc etc. Routing across waypoints works only manually.
The two benefits are: It is built-in for a clean look. And you own it already. In my case I kept using it, because the actual capability to direct you to your destination works quite well. Many people have opted for a separate system mounted on the handlebar, and I can understand them.
I use a TomTom Rider on my '07 SERK, but mounted hidden in the saddle bag, using only the voice commands for direction. Works surprisingly well and the look of the handlebar is not compromised.

Give the built in a try. A Rider or Zumo is quickly bought and attached, if you do not like it.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Some good info and ideas.

Road Hog
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »

I have to agree that not upgrading this POS nav is probably the most mind boogling thing. The new frame and the other nice upgrades over the last couple of years are great but not doing anything about the nav is just making that stick out more, imho. After seeing what the competition has at almost 1/2 the price, there's just really no excuse on a $36K bike.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 09:49:23 AM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »

I used a kenwood pop out   ...    uses garmin tech   ...   it's great
someday- today-will be the good old days

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »

I used a kenwood pop out   ...    uses garmin tech   ...   it's great

Now that's sweet!

Page created in 1.409 seconds with 22 queries.