Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing HD-Radio Again!  (Read 1902 times)

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
Replacing HD-Radio Again!
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:02:49 PM »

09SEUC. Taking bike back to stealer again tomorrow,(Thur) to check radio. The orange display light cannot be seen outside in daylight, is only barely visable inside the dark garage. This will be the second HD re-furb radio in less than 2 months with the same type of issue. When my warranty is over and I have to spend my cash, what other radio options are out there? What is the best aftermarket replacement? I know there have been issues with the HD-HK system. What other radios are you guys/gals using? Thanks     
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Replacing HD-Radio Again!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »

09SEUC. Taking bike back to stealer again tomorrow,(Thur) to check radio. The orange display light cannot be seen outside in daylight, is only barely visable inside the dark garage. This will be the second HD re-furb radio in less than 2 months with the same type of issue. When my warranty is over and I have to spend my cash, what other radio options are out there? What is the best aftermarket replacement? I know there have been issues with the HD-HK system. What other radios are you guys/gals using? Thanks      

I have hear of people using Sony or Alpine marine units. Hawg Wired makes an install kit and also sells the module so the handlebar controls all work.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:05:56 PM »

I have hear of people using Sony or Alpine marine units. Hawg Wired makes an install kit and also sells the module so the handlebar controls all work.
Thanks I have been reading the old threads from 2008 about the products you mentioned above. The Sony looked pretty good from pics in the thread. Just wondering which radio was most popular and why. Thought there may have been a product improvement in the last 2 years.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »

Go to this page and go to the fitment guides tab. The radios in blue are marine grade.

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »

You might also consider sending the HK to Iron Cross Audio for their modifications and warranty:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/winter-warranty.html

IIRC, they charge a flat fee of $250 (and offered a forum discount though I don't know if they still do), and you'd retain the CB, etc. that you won't have with an aftermarket head unit.

If you are considering aftermarket, Biketronics also makes an interface module with lifetime warranty:

http://www.biketronics.com/

As for available head units, Crutchfield.com probably has the most comprehensive listing of head units and features for each on the web; and, you can buy from a discounter after confirming the unit is compatible with an HW or BT module.

Carl

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:55:46 AM »

I must agree with the Iron Cross suggestion as well....if you want to keep the stock head unit their work is second to none!! I have used them twice...once for a repair and the other for the rear mounted aux jack. Turn around time is also very good.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »

A former site member had the Sony marine grade radio installed in his '05 (pre HK) bike and he had at least three failures that I know of.  Do not know specifics but he was always having to get a new radio.  Just saying - nothing is perfect.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »

The DIN size "marine" units are typically the non-marine version with a coated circuit board.  The faceplates and controls are typically identical on the marine and non-marine units.  A true marine head unit is typically 1.5 DIN and won't fit the opening in the inner fairing, but will have the rubber covered switches on the face plate and other water/moisture protection.  Just a heads-up if you are considering a marine DIN size unit and expecting significant water/moisture protection.

Carl

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »

A former site member had the Sony marine grade radio installed in his '05 (pre HK) bike and he had at least three failures that I know of.  Do not know specifics but he was always having to get a new radio.  Just saying - nothing is perfect.
Point taken. Gathering the facts. Thanks.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »

You might also consider sending the HK to Iron Cross Audio for their modifications and warranty:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/winter-warranty.html

IIRC, they charge a flat fee of $250 (and offered a forum discount though I don't know if they still do), and you'd retain the CB, etc. that you won't have with an aftermarket head unit.

If you are considering aftermarket, Biketronics also makes an interface module with lifetime warranty:

http://www.biketronics.com/

As for available head units, Crutchfield.com probably has the most comprehensive listing of head units and features for each on the web; and, you can buy from a discounter after confirming the unit is compatible with an HW or BT module.

Carl

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 26 queries.