Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Have finally decided-little long -Updated  (Read 2212 times)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
Have finally decided-little long -Updated
« on: November 01, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »

well, after much debate (with myself), counsel with Rich (TIF2) and reading every possible thread on sound systems, I have finally decided on what path to take for my '12 SESG. As many others have stated, the Boom Audio is fine for some and not so much for others.  I have gone back and forth for months on what amp (Rockford, HW, JL, ARC etc) and what speakers to use.  Everything from (Hertz, ARC, JL, Polk, HW, Focal etc). In my 09 i had installed HW amp with ARC 6026's.  They were good but I really wanted to change it up.  I was certainly inspired by Rich's install and many many others here but i knew that it was way above my abilities, although Rich was going to graciously make me the connectors that I would need.  To add to all this I couldn't find a great installer who I could trust to do what is right vs make the most money. The options were far ranging from $1500 to $4k.  I did not want to use my bags and wanted to keep it reasonable, below $2k.  The recent threads from CVOSTU and Sea Biscuit really helped me decide. Even though I live in MA i decided to call Pete at Soundz Customz in SD.  Pete could not have been more helpful in his approach and his recommendations.  he did not oversell or try and put a system together based on price. Here is what I am doing, and by doing I do mean that I will also do install (start prayers now).
2 sets of Focal 165KRC (fairing and lowers) being run by the ARC 125/2 mini in fairing. I wont do the bags as that will simply not go well and based on almost unanimous opinion would not yield the results vs the cost of doing them. However, I reserve the right to change my mind at some later date.  Since these are coaxial I will not be putting tweets in the the stock holes.  I am not thrilled with this, but it is what it is.  Pete will make me the harness and plugs that I need to make it as plug in play as possible.  He also pre-configs the amp on an oscilloscope so that I wont need to adjust that.

My ask of my brothers and sisters here is if you have pictures, videos, suggestions, items that I need to buy or anything else that would aid me in this install I would appreciate that very much.  As an example, I understand that I have to relocate the Ipod unit that sits on top of radio now. Maybe it will be obvious once I remove the fairing, but also maybe not.

A sincere thank you to the members mentioned above  and for the many others for paving the way for so many of us.  I will post an update once I start the install in a week or so.  Peace all.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:00:31 AM by tlr »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Have finally decided-little long
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »

you are not far from me, have no experience with the stuff you are adding but if you need an extra pair of hands let me know
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:30:19 AM »

thanks for the offer. I used to work in Marlboro until company closed those offices. We should get together for a ride when weather cooperates.

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:30:43 AM »

Pete knows his "stuff"...you will be very happy!

ROCK ON! :2vrolijk_21:

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:04:53 AM »

Congrats on pulling the trigger!
You have my nimber if you get stuck along the way  :)

I'd appreciate if you could snap some pics of the plug-and-play harnesses you get and send them to me.
I'd like to look them over.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

Thanks Rich.  I sent you an email.  Take a look when you can.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 11:39:12 PM »

Sea Biscuit gave me the info for my system as well and I love it. I just did the Focals in the fairing (I don't have lowers) and I can only go to around 6 bars without blowing up my ears even at 90mph and I wear a Schuberth new C3 Pro which is supposedly the quietest full face on the market. The difference from stock is completely night and day!
Alan

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »

I cant wait to start this little project. Deleivery of the speakers should be today and I hope to start it this weekend.

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »

Post your thoughts,I heard this set up at bikeweek last year with only 2 focals not 4 and the sound was awsome

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »

ok, here is a brief update.  Been out of town for a few days so got started tonite.  l completed the tear down. Everything is removed, speakers, amp, fuel tank etc.  One issue has presented itself. Inadvertently (cause I'm a stupid) i pulled on the vent tubing that is connected to the tank.  it came out a bit from down below enough that I can not get it back into whatever place it came from. I saw the pic in the manual but that doesn't help. it seems to be rubbing now on the belt. Any help would be appreciated. Does it go in front or behind the belt. I am worried as it is now hitting the belt.
Next steps will be running the power cable to battery and installing crossovers and hoping that i can figure out how to connect the wiring.  As I have gotten the Focals I would need to use their grills and install from the outside of the fairing.  Does anyone know of where I can get grills for the fairing and/or lowers that would look like stock.  Thanks all.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 07:48:34 AM »

Can't help much with the vent tube routing ... I always separate the tube from the tank.
I'll see if I can figure it out without having to take mine apart  :)

As for the grills, you should be able to use the stock ones at all locations.
For the fairing - carefully separate the metal mesh grill from the plastic base - then glue them on to your 6.5" adapters.
Just keep in mind the orientation of the mesh when removed.

For the lowers, if the mount holes of the speakers line up with the stock mount holes then I don't see an issue with using the stock grills?

Hope this helps ....
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »

Thanks Rich.  I did get the grills separated from the lower speakers.  My concern is that the HD logo is right above the tweeter on the Polks that I am using.  AS far as the venting tube, I am struggling to figure out how to route it.  I did separate it from the tank but pulled on it too much.  Thanks for taking a look.  what would be helpful is to know if it goes in front or behind the belt.  Thanks

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »

I have heard there is not much base sound with these focal speakers. Can't you tune the amp to get more bass?  I was told they are great mid to high range speakers. Thinking of getting uppers and lowers and then maybe 6x9's in the bags. How hard is it to remove the tank??
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:29:41 PM by jr1000yarder »
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »

Jr. I only have the lowers installed as I am waiting for some new speaker grills that I ordered. You won't get much bass in any 6.5 speakers. That said there is some decent lows, at least in the garage. Once at speed that will be gone. As far as gas tank, it is very easy, 09 and later. Basically 4 bolts and a no tool coupler for the gas line.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:54:40 PM »

pete used the focal grils that came with speakers   they went right on and look fine.. i dont think the grills off the stock speakers would work,,I went with the 4 channel arc amp..  The bag speaker do help alot with the bass tho... you wmight want to look into those,,  I have the focals in the rear, but they will be coming out as soon as Hybrid comes out with a 5x7 with a bridge mounted tweeter,, Like Rich said,,  a reaguar coax speaker aimed up at the sky will leak... Hybrid audio said that they should be ready soon..
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.