Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Road salt.....question....  (Read 6417 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Re: Road salt.....question....
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »

Trailers to Florida with an open trailer several times. Regular wash is all you need. I ride when salt is washed off road but breaking in bikes bought in January requires any warm day miles. It usually covers only rear of the bike in salt dust, again washes right off.. Don't let snow or salt change your plans. Don't wrap bike as it is sure to rub the paint somewhere. Strap it down with at least six, preferably 8 straps. More likely to have a broken or loose strap do damage than salt for a few days.   Good wax job and paint or chrome won't even get touched. 
Not my bikes but could have been.
Seriously little bit or a lot of salt with clean right off. Don't over think it
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:52:06 PM by bakon »
Will

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 10:20:34 PM »

Trailers to Florida with an open trailer several times. Regular wash is all you need. I ride when salt is washed off road but breaking in bikes bought in January requires any warm day miles. It usually covers only rear of the bike in salt dust, again washes right off.. Don't let snow or salt change your plans. Don't wrap bike as it is sure to rub the paint somewhere. Strap it down with at least six, preferably 8 straps. More likely to have a broken or loose strap do damage than salt for a few days.   Good wax job and paint or chrome won't even get touched. 
Not my bikes but could have been.
Seriously little bit or a lot of salt with clean right off. Don't over think it

Thanks for the advice and especially the photo.   I hope I do not run into that.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »

Since you have a little time before your trip, check with your local U-Haul store about renting an enclosed trailer set up for hauling bikes.  I know they have them since I've seen them in person, but not every location would have them.  With enough lead time I imagine they could get what you need.  Just a thought.

I still like the shrink wrap idea, but I've never actually priced it nor do I know how it would stand up to wind blast.  If it's done right I'd expect it to hold up fine, since I've seen loads on open semi trailers wrapped with no problem.  Check with local boat dealers and marinas or people who ship cars across the country.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »

why not use a cheap bike cover to keep the salt off the bike.

06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 11:41:40 AM »

why not use a cheap bike cover to keep the salt off the bike.

Trailering with bike covers scratches the paint on the bikes due to the wind.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 11:55:28 AM »

NO COVERS. BAD IDEA.....
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 12:50:53 PM »

Cover is not a good idea. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »

Got in way too much salt/slush/snow coming back from an extended stay in the Florida Keys back in 1995 (our last huge blizzard for East TN).  Ended up still having to stop in Calhoun, GA to rent a UHaul to get the bike and bushtec home (first and only time...so far...where I've had to trailer a bike on a trip).  Still had 14" of snow on the ground when I finally got home.  I waited to wash the bike for a bit after cleaning the driveway so I could.  With 4 days of sitting and drying, the salt pitted both my front and rear wheels on the Ultra and both aluminum wheels on the bushtec.

I learned from then on NOT to ride, tow, expose any of my bikes to the acidic salt ever again.  Lately I've been caught at work and the local idiots county commissions have decided to salt the roads anticipating bad weather (works sometimes, most times not) but if that happens, I wash in the garage if I have to just to get that dang salt off.

I say all that to say this.  There is no way I would consider pulling/hauling my bike exposed (cover, wrap, etc) like that.  If I wanted to go that badly and salt was an issue, a covered trailer is the only way I would pull....just my opinion... ;D

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »

Ohio and other states are using a combination of brine and water sticky mix. When this gets on your vehicle's and dries, water can reactivate the mix and is very hard to get off. I hauled my wide glide in an open trailer a short distance to have some work done and it caused all the bolts to corried and most other parts and i had to  trade it in to get rid of it because of this.  Don't use an open trailer to haul your bike especially in the winter. Roads can be dry in some areas and wet in others. When they lay this brine crap down it's down for quite awhile. Please trust me on this. I also had a frame on my wifes lexus rust out because of  this mixture on salt brine. pay to haul in a closed trailer.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »

The sticky stuff is molasses and/or beet juice. They use it along with the brine to pretreat the road before freeze. It helps it stick to the road. Unfortunately it also sticks to anything traveling down the road unprotected .
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 08:41:58 PM »

thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice. This bike is usually parked in my garage on it’s own carpet so I am very particular. What I am hearing here on this thread is I’d probably best served to leave it at home since I don’t have an enclosed trailer nor a  SUV that could pull it.

I actually thought that if I got it there and gave it a good washing it would be OK  and many of you believe that is still the case..some... not so much...

Bottom line is I would sure like to have it there for my Daytona bike week bucket list adventure 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:44:00 PM by bbrown »

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »

Rent or borrow a covered trailer?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 10:03:51 PM »

thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice. This bike is usually parked in my garage on it’s own carpet so I am very particular. What I am hearing here on this thread is I’d probably best served to leave it at home since I don’t have an enclosed trailer nor a  SUV that could pull it.

I actually thought that if I got it there and gave it a good washing it would be OK  and many of you believe that is still the case..some... not so much...

Bottom line is I would sure like to have it there for my Daytona bike week bucket list adventure 

Crazy not to take it! If this is a bucket list deal for you go for it, bike will be fine! You sound like the type of guy that will make sure you get all the salt. It won't hurt your bike being on for a day or two..
Alan

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »

Ride it there. Some dealerships offer shipping too. But seriously the salt washes off. Sure it can tarnish bare metal. So wax the thing and go.
Will

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »

Gotta agree with most here..Rent a trailer, ship it or shrink wrap it.  I didn't go on our Polar Bear ride Monday due to salt on the road.
I have too much time and $$ invested in my scoot to let something that is in my control happen to it...   
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 24 queries.