Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What do you all do for theft potection?  (Read 9098 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
What do you all do for theft potection?
« on: January 22, 2004, 07:27:21 PM »

I have been poking around on the Harley Zone playing catch-up on several issues. One that caught my attention was in regard to bike theft. It appears that many of you often take your bikes on trips lasting several days if not more. What do you do to maintain peace of mind when you are at a hotel sleeping. I understand that the CVO bikes come with security and I assume you all have the audible alarms etc. that are on my bike. Do you carry bike covers (generic and/or Suzuki) to fend off temptation? I know these bikes perhaps stick out a bit. However, seems that many harley owners put mucho bucks into their bikes as well. I'm not sure if I would relax sufficiently to get enough sleep to hit the road the next day with a clear head. Heck, I hardly sleep well now!    

ps. I've checked myself into a rehab program for excessive use of smilies. I need to log off now and go to the club to burn off the frustration of refraining to use them in this post.  

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: What do you all do for theft potection?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 08:07:46 PM »

Funny chit.....and this one's for you  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif].  I guess Naitram was a little rough on the Pshco huh?

Let's see.....what do I do or what should you do?  I'm not going to say what I do, but I'll just give you some things to think about....in no certain order.

Make darn sure that your insurance is paid up and that the policy covers "replacement value" and theft!.

Program your factory alarm so that it sets automatically, sixty seconds after you turn the bike off.  That way, you never have to worry about "did I set it or not?".

On the road use as many locking systems as will allow you to sleep, such as disk lock, cable lock, ignition lock, etc.  They're going to take the bike that's the easiest to take.  The more barriers you apply, the less likely that it will be yours.  I'd think the CVO's are a higher risk than the average HD due to all the interchangeable goodies on the CVO's.

Request a ground floor room.

Park on the sidewalk or in the breezway, next to the window of your room.

Leave the curtain cracked an inch or so, to be able to see your bike, once you turn the lights out (you'll be able to see out, but nobody can see in).

Use a cover.

Hope this helps Psycho.  By the way, have you made your Sturgis reservations? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 08:19:29 PM »

hey hey hey that smiley remark was all in fun  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

when on a long trip i tend to try and relax and not think about having to walk home. lock the forks arm the alarm and call it a night. i pay a chit load of money for insurance every year. i hope i never have to use it to replace a bike but i'm covered
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 08:32:01 PM »

hey hey hey that smiley remark was all in fun
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 08:42:17 PM »

Set the alarm to come on automaticaly... have you ever turned the key on with the alarm set..scares the $hit out of me every time..and that when I set it manually.. ( i know im a blind SOB cuz I dont see the blinking light...but...)

THe Alarm is a comforrt..alarm with locked forks...the thieves will move on...too much trouble..look for something eaisier to sell

Plus the SEEG is too unique .. too hard to sell and trace
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

fxr4

• ride it like you stole it
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 08:57:54 PM »

Like was previously stated make sure insurance is paid in full. Other than that I just have a good time. I figure if they want it bad enough they'll get it so I guess to me a lock is only good for a honest thief. :)

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 09:13:16 PM »

First of all, most have you have mentioned keeping your insurance up to date, but I LOVE my scooter and don't want to loose it.

On a trip? -  Security system, locked forks, locked ignition, disc lock and I just bought non-descript cover that is made for a EG and it goes all the way to the ground on my Wide Glide, so the pretty wheels don't show.

Good luck and I hope that we all get to ride our rides home!  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

starvin

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 09:19:41 PM »

I like the generic cover myself, that way any thief would have to wonder what other types of locks or alarms MIGHT be on that would slow them down. At the big events there are going to be bikes stolen no matter what you do.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 01:09:17 AM »

hey hey hey that smiley remark was all in fun

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 01:11:43 AM »

I like the generic cover myself, that way any thief would have to wonder what other types of locks or alarms MIGHT be on that would slow them down. At the big events there are going to be bikes stolen no matter what you do.

I'm gonna get one as well. You answered my next question--thefts at major rallies. How about saddle bags and stuff -- if I have a rain suit in an unlockable saddle bag, will it still be there when I get back from doing whatever the #$%@ you all do at these rallies?

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 01:19:47 AM »

THe Alarm is a comforrt..alarm with locked forks...the thieves will move on...too much trouble..look for something eaisier to sell

OK, seems you feel the alarm system is a good deterrent. I was thinking about driving it right into my room like on American Chopper!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I'll be honest with you though, I actually feel that way. Just don't trust easilly any more. it's not like leaving your house door open like our parents did 30 years ago. I work with the worst of the worst of adolescents that the state of NH has to offer, I know what these kids do! I can only imagine what adult professional bike thieves can do. Local Harley dealer said it's as easy as four guys with pipe, through each wheel, into a truck and gonzo!  

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 01:22:01 AM »

Funny chit.....and this one's for you

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 01:23:58 AM »

Like was previously stated make sure insurance is paid in full. Other than that I just have a good time. I figure if they want it bad enough they'll get it so I guess to me a lock is only good for a honest thief. :)

I'll tell ya though. With my personality, I take it as a personal challenge! I'll tie the damn thing to my legs if I have to!

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 01:25:44 AM »

I just bought non-descript cover that is made for a EG and it goes all the way to the ground on my Wide Glide, so the pretty wheels don't show.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 07:23:40 AM »

I'm gonna get one as well. You answered my next question--thefts at major rallies. How about saddle bags and stuff -- if I have a rain suit in an unlockable saddle bag, will it still be there when I get back from doing whatever the #$%@ you all do at these rallies?

my softail doesnt have a fork lock, so i use a disc brake lock on it. nice and bright yellow, easily visiblie and all. i also have a pair of side bags and a small pouch on the handel bars, i always have chit in them gloves, tools, sun glasses and i have never had anything stolen from them, now maybe i'm just lucky....... but i think the big events can be the safest place to leave your bike during the day. for instance if you go to laconia this year you wont walk 100 ft on the main drag without seeing 2 cops, with that kind of visibilty and bikes parked inches from each other it isnt like 5 guys can walk over pick the thing up and put it in a truck
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.