Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Where would you live, and why there?  (Read 20872 times)

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
Re: Where would you live, and why there?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:54:20 PM »

We're debating the same thing, and for us its East TN, second/third place would Western NC or SC. I like TX but haven't ridden the twisty back roads enough to have any real opinion. Good luck in your search, hope you stay far away fro needing to visit any VA facility. I've avoided them at all costs so far knock on wood.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 06:28:19 AM »

We've chosen western SC.

Looks like you've got a lot of restrictions curious to see what you've come up with.

From one vet to another, thanks for serving.  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 09:15:55 AM »

Interested in this topic as well.  We are currently in Virginia and there are numerous great roads, but I'm paying state income taxes, and sales tax on everything. We're also paying nearly $ 2k a year in personal property taxes on 1 truck, 1 suv and 1 bike.  >:(

NC/TN are possibilities. Lots of great roads there and we've been on most.  Besides, VA and WV are not that far away to reach in a few hours.   Daughter already lives fairly close to Maggie Valley.  Biggest issue for me is local doctors that will take Tricare Prime.  I'm NOT going near any VA facilities if I have any choices.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »

good read - thanks...
"
You did not mention family and friends -
No matter where you end, RIDE ON.....
"

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »

good read - thanks...
"
You did not mention family and friends -
No matter where you end, RIDE ON.....
"

Family and friends.  Most of all my family is within 200 miles of Wichita KS,  my only real friend (the one you'd go to jail with) lives 20 miles from the Pig Trail.  I do have a youngster and spouse in Quantico, and a sibling in the Hill Country.  But I like to go see them, stay a few days, then leave so as to not be a burden on them.

I'd like to add about the VA, but I will start a new thread.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

2015FLHTKSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 08:25:30 PM »

Funny you say Maggie Valley, I was thinking the same thing. We sold our house and are due to close beginning of April. Already have some houses picked out and a realtor looking for more. Cost of living seems fair and some of the best riding in the country 9 months out of the year. We considered eastenn Tn as well, and still haven't ruled it out.

Anyone heard of a place called Maggie Valley NC 28751?
We have and will retire there. 45 minutes from South Carolina, 45 minutes from Gatlinburg, an hour from Georgia, 1.5 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway, 1.5 miles from Wheels Through Time, .25 miles from great riding roads, low taxes, good community, good hospital not far, I-40 10 miles away, a rider's paradise.
Our property is at 3500' so no need for A/C. Have 15 Apple trees, Elk come almost every evening. Stream on back of property with good water.
Yep, a great place to spend 30 more years.

Down side to MV listed below,

SBB

cheeset202

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 08:59:33 PM »

Canada is a great place to ride, have  lived on both the East and West coast, just can't handle the high taxes and ridiculously high insurance rates for bikers.

Arboth

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »

Pacific Northwest including Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. More specifically the SE corner of Washington. The scenery is beautiful and there are tons of state and local highways with hardly any traffic. Winters are a bummer however 9 months of the year...yeehaw?????????

stratplexi

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 09:53:45 PM »

Tn. would be my choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »

Lowcountry of South Carolina, because I can !!
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

ultrarider123

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »

I've had the honor of being born and raised in Alabama.  Moved to Georgia/SC for 5 years then to East Tennessee (Maryville...pronounced Marvlle... ;D ) and then to Oak Ridge which is where eye-B presently.  You have Federal and State income taxes in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.  SC was 8% state income tax when I lived there plus they have personal property taxes on your vehicles.  Tags can be VERY expensive each year.  Insurance can run you a pretty penny, too.  My dad lives in SC (not far from Mikey) but while I love the state, would not live there again just for the taxes.
Tennessee has no state income taxes (but you do have 9.75% sales tax on most everything.  Vehicles are a bit less).  Tags and insurance are not too shabby either.  When I moved from SC to TN in 1991, I took a pay cut.  However, with no state income tax, I ended up breaking even.
Chip has some good information for living in NC but you still have the state income tax.  If you are looking for cheap all around, Sevier County has the lowest property taxes in the state plus it's close to the Smoky mountains.  Traffic can be a bit as Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are also in Sevier County.  Live out in the county where property costs are less.  It's where I would like to settle at some point.  East Tennessee is a great place to live with all the things you are looking for.  Come on down, Greg.  Be dang glad to have you join us in God's country.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:55:06 PM by Haird »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »

According to the RV forums, the state with the lowest taxes (state income tax, vehicle registration, sales tax, property tax included) is South Dakota.  That's where many of the full timers register their domain.  You only have to spend two nights there in a hotel, get the receipt and then rent an address (drop box), go to the motor vehicle and transfer your vehicles.  You have to go back to that state and spend at least two nights and have proof (the hotel receipt) in order to maintain your domicile there.  Florida and Texas are close behind and have better weather than SD......that's the reason there are so many purple hair in those states.

This is strictly a financial decision and has nothing to do with red or blue, gun laws, etc. as indicated by the OP.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 11:06:21 AM »

Virginia on the eastern part. You can ride almost all year, some years all year long. Taxes and cost of living are cheep. One day ride to Florida or new England.
Bill

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 12:51:11 PM »

A list of states from most taxed to least taxed would come in handy in this determination.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:19 PM »

We in South Carolina are starting a movement to close our boarders to all immigrants from other states. This movement is because we like the state the way it is and don't give a damn how it's done back home. If the way it was done back home is so great, then why the hell are you moving away? Only active military and their dependents will be exempt. You only have to look at the Myrtle Beach, Grand Strand, and Hilton Head areas to understand our plight. We will still open our hearts and arms to tourists , however stays of longer than 30 days will be forbidden! Children born in this state will be allowed to return at any time with their wives/husbands and dependents. Politicians from other states must obtain a visa to enter the state and then they have to keep their views and opinions to themselves. All others will be shot on sight and their bodies will be fed to the feral hogs or alligators.
This message is brought to you by the state tourism division of the Chamber of Commerce. Okay maybe not the CoC.
Mike
 :drink:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:40:51 PM by MIKEYTEE »
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.