Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Why is it Snowing Everywhere But Here?  (Read 10311 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Why is it Snowing Everywhere But Here?
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »

Well, it's snowing again in the NE. In NYC it's a crappy combination of snow and hail, the hardest to melt. I wanted to take some shots and show you folks how a Radiant Snowmelting System operates. I have my entire property heated with underground piping (like a radiant heated floor) and a sophisticated system I designed to support it! Here's some pics of what it looks like working! Don't get jealous, with all the toys you guys have, think about this one. I haven't shoveled in years! Hoist!

First, the snow everywhere else.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Why is it Snowing Everywhere But Here?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:10:31 PM »

My sidewalk in relation to my neighbor's.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »

Shots of my property

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:43 PM »

another

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »

1 more

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:14:04 PM »

1 more

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »

Last one. My driveway from the other direction. My bikes never get stuck in my garage! Ever!

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »

Well, it's snowing again in the NE....I haven't shoveled in years! Hoist!

That looks like a great system, Hoist. I’ll bet she really pulls the BTU’s out of your boiler. Is it expensive to run, or do you just burn your neighbors lawn furniture? :)

BTW, great looking place.

djkak

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 12:21:39 PM »

That rocks, I was designing a future home of ours with Geothermal in mind and wondered about doing the same thing. Nothing worse than a 30 something sunny day in the winter with dry roads - perfect for a ride - but...an iced over driveway!! Great job and thanks for the pics! Enjoying sun here in michigan today but its in the 20's - I've already squeezed in 300 miles this week in full gear. We had a warm snap last week so things melted good enough that I've been running around in the 68 camaro the past few days enjoying the new engine and such that went in over the winter :)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »

With all that concrete, you must own a riding pressure washer. Probably chrome too.  :pepper:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »

That looks like a great system, Hoist. I’ll bet she really pulls the BTU’s out of your boiler. Is it expensive to run, or do you just burn your neighbors lawn furniture? :)

BTW, great looking place.

djkak

Hey dj, thanks man. I have (3) 140,000 BTU Hi-efficiency Condensing boilers piped in parallel in a common loop. These low-temp boilers also provide for my heating (radiant, of course) and Domestic HW requirements. Cost is a relative thing. I would say, with the price of NG these days, it runs about $20-$30 per storm, depending on the amount of snowfall. I designed the system for 2"/hr at 0 deg F and 50 MPH winds. Emergency and critical area design for this area! With the money I save heating my house and Dom HW this way, I basically don't use any more gas than before I installed this system. My heating bill was cut in half. So, the snowmelting is basically free, based on my old high-mass, 1-pipe steam/C.I.radiator system! It's a fairly pricey install, but isn't my back worth it?! ;) Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 12:34:03 PM »

With all that concrete, you must own a riding pressure washer. Probably chrome too.  :pepper:

No, just a push along one Chief! Sears, not chrome! I did all my property in Masonry to accomodate the snowmelting system. A small 15x20 patch of lawn in the yard is useless. So it's all Masonry now! I have use of the entire property since we made the entire yard a stone patio! The only part that's not, is the front lawn and an 18" wide strip along the patio for a small garden. ;) Hoist! 8)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »

Kewl system, I always say "my next house I will do something similar" well haven't in the last 2 homes

Since moving to Iowa and getting back into snow removal, I really wish I had a similar system even more

My three car driveway seems like a Walmart parking lot, sure glad I bought the 2stage snow blower

I liked your pictures of your place  :2vrolijk_21:

jeffj

twincam

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 12:42:52 PM »

hey Howie, the low here today is 53 the high is...........93!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :pepper: :pineapple: :cucumber: :jalapeno: :carrot: :apple:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »

That rocks, I was designing a future home of ours with Geothermal in mind and wondered about doing the same thing.  Great job and thanks for the pics! Enjoying sun here in michigan today but its in the 20's - I've already squeezed in 300 miles this week in full gear. We had a Nothing worse than a 30 something sunny day in the winter with dry roads - perfect for a ride - but...an iced over driveway!!warm snap last week so things melted good enough that I've been running around in the 68 camaro the past few days enjoying the new engine and such that went in over the winter :)

Thanks ceej, that's what led me to start thinking about doing it. One year we were away and got a big snow storm. I came home a week later to 6"H of ice covering my entire driveway. It took 3 weeks before i could get rid of all of it. That was it for me. So when I renovated the house 3 years ago, I decided to put in this State-of-the-Art Low-Mass Hydronic Radiant System. Indoors and out. One system takes care of everything. I have the outside isolated by a plate-and-frame heat exchanger, with propylene-glycol on the outside, heated by the boiler water on the inside! It's a very sophisticated system with a DDC automatic control system operating everything! How's that for OCD! ;) Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:14:52 PM by Hoist »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.