Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Why is it Snowing Everywhere But Here?  (Read 10313 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Why is it Snowing Everywhere But Here?
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »

Well, it's snowing again in the NE. In NYC it's a crappy combination of snow and hail, the hardest to melt. I wanted to take some shots and show you folks how a Radiant Snowmelting System operates. I have my entire property heated with underground piping (like a radiant heated floor) and a sophisticated system I designed to support it! Here's some pics of what it looks like working! Don't get jealous, with all the toys you guys have, think about this one. I haven't shoveled in years! Hoist!

First, the snow everywhere else.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Why is it Snowing Everywhere But Here?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:10:31 PM »

My sidewalk in relation to my neighbor's.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »

Shots of my property

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:43 PM »

another

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »

1 more

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:14:04 PM »

1 more

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »

Last one. My driveway from the other direction. My bikes never get stuck in my garage! Ever!

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »

Well, it's snowing again in the NE....I haven't shoveled in years! Hoist!

That looks like a great system, Hoist. I’ll bet she really pulls the BTU’s out of your boiler. Is it expensive to run, or do you just burn your neighbors lawn furniture? :)

BTW, great looking place.

djkak

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 12:21:39 PM »

That rocks, I was designing a future home of ours with Geothermal in mind and wondered about doing the same thing. Nothing worse than a 30 something sunny day in the winter with dry roads - perfect for a ride - but...an iced over driveway!! Great job and thanks for the pics! Enjoying sun here in michigan today but its in the 20's - I've already squeezed in 300 miles this week in full gear. We had a warm snap last week so things melted good enough that I've been running around in the 68 camaro the past few days enjoying the new engine and such that went in over the winter :)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »

With all that concrete, you must own a riding pressure washer. Probably chrome too.  :pepper:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »

That looks like a great system, Hoist. I’ll bet she really pulls the BTU’s out of your boiler. Is it expensive to run, or do you just burn your neighbors lawn furniture? :)

BTW, great looking place.

djkak

Hey dj, thanks man. I have (3) 140,000 BTU Hi-efficiency Condensing boilers piped in parallel in a common loop. These low-temp boilers also provide for my heating (radiant, of course) and Domestic HW requirements. Cost is a relative thing. I would say, with the price of NG these days, it runs about $20-$30 per storm, depending on the amount of snowfall. I designed the system for 2"/hr at 0 deg F and 50 MPH winds. Emergency and critical area design for this area! With the money I save heating my house and Dom HW this way, I basically don't use any more gas than before I installed this system. My heating bill was cut in half. So, the snowmelting is basically free, based on my old high-mass, 1-pipe steam/C.I.radiator system! It's a fairly pricey install, but isn't my back worth it?! ;) Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 12:34:03 PM »

With all that concrete, you must own a riding pressure washer. Probably chrome too.  :pepper:

No, just a push along one Chief! Sears, not chrome! I did all my property in Masonry to accomodate the snowmelting system. A small 15x20 patch of lawn in the yard is useless. So it's all Masonry now! I have use of the entire property since we made the entire yard a stone patio! The only part that's not, is the front lawn and an 18" wide strip along the patio for a small garden. ;) Hoist! 8)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »

Kewl system, I always say "my next house I will do something similar" well haven't in the last 2 homes

Since moving to Iowa and getting back into snow removal, I really wish I had a similar system even more

My three car driveway seems like a Walmart parking lot, sure glad I bought the 2stage snow blower

I liked your pictures of your place  :2vrolijk_21:

jeffj

twincam

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 12:42:52 PM »

hey Howie, the low here today is 53 the high is...........93!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :pepper: :pineapple: :cucumber: :jalapeno: :carrot: :apple:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »

That rocks, I was designing a future home of ours with Geothermal in mind and wondered about doing the same thing.  Great job and thanks for the pics! Enjoying sun here in michigan today but its in the 20's - I've already squeezed in 300 miles this week in full gear. We had a Nothing worse than a 30 something sunny day in the winter with dry roads - perfect for a ride - but...an iced over driveway!!warm snap last week so things melted good enough that I've been running around in the 68 camaro the past few days enjoying the new engine and such that went in over the winter :)

Thanks ceej, that's what led me to start thinking about doing it. One year we were away and got a big snow storm. I came home a week later to 6"H of ice covering my entire driveway. It took 3 weeks before i could get rid of all of it. That was it for me. So when I renovated the house 3 years ago, I decided to put in this State-of-the-Art Low-Mass Hydronic Radiant System. Indoors and out. One system takes care of everything. I have the outside isolated by a plate-and-frame heat exchanger, with propylene-glycol on the outside, heated by the boiler water on the inside! It's a very sophisticated system with a DDC automatic control system operating everything! How's that for OCD! ;) Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:14:52 PM by Hoist »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 12:45:46 PM »

C'mon Howie, you make momma shovel the stoop?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »

Kewl system, I always say "my next house I will do something similar" well haven't in the last 2 homes

Since moving to Iowa and getting back into snow removal, I really wish I had a similar system even more

My three car driveway seems like a Walmart parking lot, sure glad I bought the 2stage snow blower

I liked your pictures of your place  :2vrolijk_21:

jeffj

Thanks Jeff, if you notice my driveway, one house is on top of the other, separated by only the driveway. It's 50ft long. Nowhere to put the snow. I used to have to carry it out of the driveway. The snowblower couldn't blow it far enough and I wound up with a giant pile of slush to move, about halfway down the driveway. It was making me nuts. I traded my snowblower to the Electrician who wired the system. Fair trade for me. I'll never need it (I hope!). ;) Hoist! 8)

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 12:49:40 PM »

That reminded me of a small town nearby that did that with the downtown streets and sidewalks. The local powerplant's steam exhaust was utilized for the heat source and works like a charm. Shame we dont see more of this sorta engineering.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 12:51:36 PM »

C'mon Howie, you make momma shovel the stoop?

Good point AJ. The stoops were the only thing I couldn't do. I have brick stoops with KY Bluestone treads. The brick was pushing the bricks while trying to get them to set. The Bluestone is too thick. So, I abandoned heating the stoops, except for the top platform on all the sets of stoops! Man. can't get nothing past you guys! And no AJ, I shovel the stoops! ;) Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »

That reminded me of a small town nearby that did that with the downtown streets and sidewalks. The local powerplant's steam exhaust was utilized for the heat source and works like a charm. Shame we dont see more of this sorta engineering.

I researched the systems available for this and there were various approaches. I chose to do it the CVO way, not stock! I designed the best system there is, and incorporated everything I'll need heat for, into the system. It's completely instantaneous (low-mass) and only generates the heat I need to meet the load at any given time! I've been working with customers doing HVAC design and Sales for years now. It's about time I used it to benefit my family! ;) Hoist! 8)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »

:ROFLOL:

Very nice looking house Howie.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 12:59:38 PM »

hey Howie, the low here today is 53 the high is...........93!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :pepper: :pineapple: :cucumber: :jalapeno: :carrot: :apple:

Thanks Randy. I melt snow, but that didn't make me feel any better about this chit being everywhere else! But I don't hve to shovel and I don't bake in the summer! (I know, but it's a dry heat. So is an oven!) ;) Hoist!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 01:01:11 PM »

:ROFLOL:

Very nice looking house Howie.

Thanks AJ, my wife's the one with the good taste! I hang out here! ;D ;) Hoist! 8)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »

Howie,
Looks awesome, could use that up here today, 3" to 5" today, 6" to 10" tonight and tomorrow and then the forecast calls for 2" to 4" of rain. I put the plow on last night.

Thanks for posting the pics, if you get a chance post a few shots of the boilers and controls, I'm curious to see how all that equipment fit together in the basement.

Ed
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

twincam

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »

Thanks Randy. I melt snow, but that didn't make me feel any better about this chit being everywhere else! But I don't hve to shovel and I don't bake in the summer! (I know, but it's a dry heat. So is an oven!) ;) Hoist!
LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE HOWIE , 8) ;D ;D ;DYOU CAN RIDE AROUND YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 01:05:41 PM »

Howie,
Looks awsome, could use that up here today, 3" to 5" today, 6" to 10" tonight and tomorrow and then the forecast calls for 2" to 4" of rain. I put the plow on last night.

Thanks for posting the pics, if you get a chance post a few shots of the boilers and controls, I'm curious to see how all that equipment fit together in the basement.

Ed

Ed, you'll get a kick out of this. Nothing but the Central A/C unit and HW tank is on the floor. The boilers, pumps, heat exchanger, and all piping is wall mounted around the perimeter of a small 8x15 boiler room. I'll try to get some shots, but it's so small, I'm not sure how good they'll be. Extremely proficient planning by my piping guy is what got it all to fit. I got 10 lbs of chit in a 5 lb bag! ;) Hoist! 8)

twincam

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »

Tomarrow in Douglas, AZ there is a air show with a bike parade down the runway to kick it off, then a poker run, Oh how sweet the desert is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE HOWIE , 8) ;D ;D ;DYOU CAN RIDE AROUND YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!

Only up and down the driveway. My neighbor didn't want to do his when he redid his driveway. He's 72 and regrets it everytime it snows and he looks at my property while he's shoveling! I stay inside as I don't feel like getting pelted by all my jealous neighbors! ;) Hoist! 8)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 01:09:30 PM »

Ed, you'll get a kick out of this. Nothing but the Central A/C unit and HW tank is on the floor. The boilers, pumps, heat exchanger, and all piping is wall mounted around the perimeter of a small 8x15 boiler room. I'll try to get some shots, but it's so small, I'm not sure how good they'll be. Extremely proficient planning by my piping guy is what got it all to fit. I got 10 lbs of chit in a 5 lb bag! ;) Hoist! 8)

Sounds great, hope you can get a few shots!

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 01:12:18 PM »

Tomarrow in Douglas, AZ there is a air show with a bike parade down the runway to kick it off, then a poker run, Oh how sweet the desert is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

I could go for a little AZ temps today... :nervous: (This is cold not nervous.)  :huepfenlol2:

twincam

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »

well I have to leave you guys to the shoveling and melting of snow, got to go get the bike cleaned up for the ride in the morning!!!! stay warm!!! will be thinking about you'll ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 01:13:43 PM »

well I have to leave you guys to the shoveling and melting of snow, got to go get the bike cleaned up for the ride in the morning!!!! stay warm!!! will be thinking about you'll ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Don't forget the sunscreen... :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2007, 01:21:01 PM »

Sounds great, hope you can get a few shots!

Ed

Ed, there's a bunch of junk stored in the room too. You can never have enough space in NYC! This should give you an idea of what the Power Plant that runs the system, looks like! We'll see how it looks! ;) Hoist! 8)

Engine Room Shots! 1st-Control Panel #1

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2007, 01:21:43 PM »

Control Panel inside

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2007, 01:22:24 PM »

Both Control Panels

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »

HW Thermal Storage Tank, Glycol Heat Excghanger, Primary Pumps and Piping

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 01:24:40 PM »

House Electrical Panels and Whole House Drinking Water Filter

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »

Radiant Heating Panel Zone Pumps

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »

Wall Mounted Boiler (1 of 3 boilers)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2007, 01:27:34 PM »

Radiant Heated Floor Zone Valves and Manifolds

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »

Last one. As much of this tiny room I can get from the entrance door!

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2007, 01:30:22 PM »

Howie you were right that is a lot of equipment to stuff into the basement looks great though. I like the fact that the control switches each have their own phenolic label calling out there function. Looks like factory, what are you really making down there?? Thanks for posting.

Ed

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 01:35:24 PM »

Looking at your setup, thats about as good as it gets in the Northeast.  I saw this once before, Robert Shephard, the actor, (tv show about his home a few years back) has this setup in his home somewhere in the rockies.  I would say shoveling snow, dealing with ice on the driveway, steps ,etc., is half the hassle of living in places such as we do.  I seriously thought of doing something like this when I did a remodel here in Maine about 5 years ago, but I move around too much.  I would think that you would have to plan on staying put for quite sometime to make the expense worthwhile--or maybe I'm just cheap like your neighbor.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 01:37:02 PM »

Howie you were right that is a lot of equipment to stuff into the basement looks great though. I like the fact that the control switches each have their own phenolic label calling out there function. Looks like factory, what are you really making down there?? Thanks for posting.

Ed

Ed, I'm in Commercial and Industrial Air Conditioning. I used one of my panel vendors to build them. I designed the ATC System and the whole plant like I would a Commercial Project, not resembling Residential Systems. Primary/secondary piping, VSD Pumps, redundant primary pumps w/ pump alternator, 6-Stages of heating (2/boiler) tied together with a Boiler Sequence Controller, 12 zones of heat and 2 zones of snowmelting w/ 9 loops each zone, and Radiant-heated Garage floor (from the Glycol side)! You name it, it's probably there. It's a Radiant Heating Engine Room! ;) Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »

Looking at your setup, thats about as good as it gets in the Northeast.  I saw this once before, Robert Shephard, the actor, (tv show about his home a few years back) has this setup in his home somewhere in the rockies.  I would say shoveling snow, dealing with ice on the driveway, steps ,etc., is half the hassle of living in places such as we do.  I seriously thought of doing something like this when I did a remodel here in Maine about 5 years ago, but I move around too much.  I would think that you would have to plan on staying put for quite sometime to make the expense worthwhile--or maybe I'm just cheap like your neighbor.

No Seegmon, you're right. You better plan on staying. It was quite expensive overall. Normally you wouldn't design it this extreme. But I tend to want the best! That's why I have a SERK and hang out here! It's difficult to recover any financial investment. There's no payback. Except the luxury of never having to shovel! ;) Hoist! 8)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2007, 01:45:53 PM »

Ed, I'm in Commercial and Industrial Air Conditioning. I used one of my panel vendors to build them. I designed the ATC System and the whole plant like I would a Commercial Project, not resembling Residential Systems. Primary/secondary piping, VSD Pumps, redundant primary pumps w/ pump alternator, 6-Stages of heating (2/boiler) tied together with a Boiler Sequence Controller, 12 zones of heat and 2 zones of snowmelting w/ 9 loops each zone, and Radiant-heated Garage floor (from the Glycol side)! You name it, it's probably there. It's a Radiant Heating Engine Room! ;) Hoist! 8)

Cool! :coolblue: Nice job.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2007, 02:01:31 PM »

Hoist, that's cool! I'm really interested in that stuff, I've stayed at a resort that had radiant floor heating, it's great! I was also looking into on-demand hot water, and geothermal heating and cooling. I'm going to try to incorporate a lot of this into my next house. Tired of this shoveling, but it's 70 here today!!!

http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/di_green_sustainable/article/0,2618,HPRO_20616_3952198,00.html

http://www.hydroheat.com/harnessing.shtml

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/infosource/pub/home/Heating_and_Cooling_with_a_Heat_Pump_Section4.cfm

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 02:20:06 PM »

Hoist, that's cool! I'm really interested in that stuff, I've stayed at a resort that had radiant floor heating, it's great! I was also looking into on-demand hot water, and geothermal heating and cooling. I'm going to try to incorporate a lot of this into my next house. Tired of this shoveling, but it's 70 here today!!!

http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/di_green_sustainable/article/0,2618,HPRO_20616_3952198,00.html

http://www.hydroheat.com/harnessing.shtml

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/infosource/pub/home/Heating_and_Cooling_with_a_Heat_Pump_Section4.cfm

Geothermal will save you some good money on your bill, winter and summer, depending how your system's designed and what temps it's designed for. Always use larger terminal equipment and the lowest temp you can get away with when heating. This saves the most operating cost, but is more expensive to install. You'll probably have to get a boiler(s) to melt snow in CO. Especially the kind of snow you guys get. Snowmelting systems are designed based on 3 things; anticipated snowfall in "/hr, outdoor design temp, and wind velocity. A good design will not allow any snow to accumulate at all. Cheaper systems will eventually melt the snow, but lets it accumulate. We're getting all freezing rain now. Even my system struggles with that! I might have to keep it on longer to get some spots where they didn't install enough tubing underground. You can't make changes once they pour the cement! ;) Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 02:29:19 PM »

Yeah Howie, I'm green with envy.

About as green as my lawn is right now since it's been in the mid 70's here for weeks.

B B

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2007, 02:31:41 PM »

Hey Howie - thats quite some heating setup you have there.

Looks like something from Cape Canaveral - well I guess you do have that Black Ice Rocket in the garage  ;D

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2007, 02:33:56 PM »

Yeah Howie, I'm green with envy.

About as green as my lawn is right now since it's been in the mid 70's here for weeks.

B B

Hey B B, how's it going? I could've grown grass all winter with this system too! All I had to do was leave the insulation off of the tubing that's run under my lawn, keep the system on all winter, and water normally. F the grass! I'm not paying to grow grass. Shoveling, that's another story. I'll pay not to do that anymore. We all know about your SCA weather. I don't have the stomach for sprouts and avocados though! ;) Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2007, 02:38:09 PM »

Hey Howie - thats quite some heating setup you have there.

Looks like something from Cape Canaveral - well I guess you do have that Black Ice Rocket in the garage ;D

Nige

Thanks Nige, I got it from you guys. It's based on European Technology! We Americans are pigs when it comes to Energy! We might finally be starting to get it. But nobody here wants to pay the first cost for a high-efficiency system. So it really hasn't caught on yet. Yes, all my bikes are in my nicely radiant-heated garage! And people say it's an engine room on a Submarine, not Cape Canaveral! ;) Hoist! 8)

twincam

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2007, 02:43:48 PM »

Hi Howie, just got done washing my bike, out in the sunshine, shirtless!!!!! dam think I got a sunburn!!! lol 8) ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »

Hi Howie, just got done washing my bike, out in the sunshine, shirtless!!!!! dam think I got a sunburn!!! lol 8) ;D

I think I got Heartburn!!! From all your good weather posts Randy! ;D Hoist! 8)

twincam

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2007, 02:48:57 PM »

LOL well spring will hit your part of the country someday!!!!! glad my trip up there got moved to July or Aug, I would have been right in the middle of that chit!!!! :2vrolijk_21:

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »

Thanks Nige, I got it from you guys. It's based on European Technology! We Americans are pigs when it comes to Energy! We might finally be starting to get it. But nobody here wants to pay the first cost for a high-efficiency system. So it really hasn't caught on yet. Yes, all my bikes are in my nicely radiant-heated garage! And people say it's an engine room on a Submarine, not Cape Canaveral! ;) Hoist! 8)

Think I will have to get some more heating in my garage for my new CACO baby too. We had a new Combi-boiler system installed a while ago and it is just too darned efficient. The old boiler used to keep the garage warm as well as the house.

Looks like another radiator on the way.

Nige

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »

LOL well spring will hit your part of the country someday!!!!! glad my trip up there got moved to July or Aug, I would have been right in the middle of that chit!!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Someday better be soon. I was supposed to get the new handlebars installed tomorrow! Next week I hope now. The snow should be gone by the time you get here in July! Mine will be gone by tonight! ;) Hoist! 8)

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2007, 02:55:12 PM »

Hey Randy - hope you've managed to get that new shirt out on the road. Mines been limited to exposure at Club meets and the like, but hey the warm weather is just around the corner and we have a weekend bash planned for the end of this month.

:2vrolijk_21:

Nige

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

twincam

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2007, 03:04:45 PM »

"why is it snowing everywhere but here" not everywhere Howie

twincam

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »

sunshine!!!

twincam

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »

desert living!!!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2007, 03:06:35 PM »

"why is it snowing everywhere but here" not everywhere Howie

That's Mother Nature's Snowmelting System! ;) Hoist! 8)

twincam

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 03:07:21 PM »

Hey Randy - hope you've managed to get that new shirt out on the road. Mines been limited to exposure at Club meets and the like, but hey the warm weather is just around the corner and we have a weekend bash planned for the end of this month.

Nige
Nige it has been in the wind alot latly!!!

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2007, 03:09:54 PM »

Fantastic pics Randy. I am veeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry jealous.

Nige

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

twincam

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2007, 03:11:16 PM »

believe it or not that Mt had 16 IN of snow on it last month!! this is the Chiricahua mts as in Chiricahua Apache Indians.... you know Geronimo.. he surrendered about 5 miles from here.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:28:51 PM by twincam »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »

Nice looking setup, Howie!!  That panel looks like some of the things I had my head/hands in 8 or 10 years ago, only the controls were running 35,000 Tons of Chillers, Cooling Towers, Plate and Frame Heat Exchangers, etc.  It's been a while for me though...

The radiant heat is definitely the way to go...almost whole house.  If you've got to use a Heat Pump for A/C, geothermal is absolutely the best way to go if you live anywhere other than the very deep south...even then, it's more efficient than air to air could ever be.  It's just expensive to install...

Looks like you've got a good system design there...something like that will add mucho value to your house, so it is a good investment as well.

Oh, by the way, it's been in the 70's here for the last two weeks, the Azaleas are beginning to bloom, Dogwoods are about to start, and the trees are beginning to bud.  Of course, what comes with that is pollen falling so thick that at times it looks like it's raining yellow, but that will be over soon.  Today it's 60, and tonight in the 30's, but warming back up tomorrow into the mid 60's and sunny, and next week back into the 70's.

Ya'll keep all that white chit up there, ya heah? ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2007, 03:54:09 PM »

Nice looking setup, Howie!!  That panel looks like some of the things I had my head/hands in 8 or 10 years ago, only the controls were running 35,000 Tons of Chillers, Cooling Towers, Plate and Frame Heat Exchangers, etc.  It's been a while for me though...

The radiant heat is definitely the way to go...almost whole house.  If you've got to use a Heat Pump for A/C, geothermal is absolutely the best way to go if you live anywhere other than the very deep south...even then, it's more efficient than air to air could ever be.  It's just expensive to install...

Looks like you've got a good system design there...something like that will add mucho value to your house, so it is a good investment as well.

Oh, by the way, it's been in the 70's here for the last two weeks, the Azaleas are beginning to bloom, Dogwoods are about to start, and the trees are beginning to bud.  Of course, what comes with that is pollen falling so thick that at times it looks like it's raining yellow, but that will be over soon.  Today it's 60, and tonight in the 30's, but warming back up tomorrow into the mid 60's and sunny, and next week back into the 70's.

Ya'll keep all that white chit up there, ya heah? ;D

Thanks Terry, I had fun putting my own little Central Plant in!
And thanks for the weather forecast from down there. I'm sure all the NEers reading this feel terrible about your cool evenings! ;D  ;)

Hoist! 8)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »

I have a snow removal system of my own!!  C’mon, you knew this was coming! My system will make a 16” wide path through 3 to 4 foot deep snow in a matter of seconds. (SnowRemoval_01.jpg) The business end of this machine is a 170 horsepower (out of the box) 162 x 16 x 2.25 inch paddle track =  :smilie_staub:

These machines can be hooked together in series for the tough snow removal jobs (SeriesPull_02)

An optional high tech energy recycling device made from al-you-mini-yum is available which is secured to the exhausting tube of the power output device. (RecycledEnergy.jpg) This equipment will in fact brown the food if necessary; blackened if you are into Cajun.

The only real problem with this machine is that after heavy use, my sidewalk still looks like cr@p, and by whole body hurts….you know Hoist, you might be on to something here. BTW, I can’t believe that one of these is actually on topic.

djkak

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2007, 03:58:04 PM »

Tough snow removal job

djkak

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2007, 03:58:49 PM »

Series hookup.

djkak

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2007, 03:59:24 PM »

Recycled energy.

djkak

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »

OK, dj....WTF is that stuff in that pan?  It looks like Doody Bird (chicken) a little bit, but it ain't fried.  I won't even go there with other possibilities....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »

Perfectly on topic dj, and yes, I knew it was coming! Perfect intro, huh? I don't often see those hi-effic. snow removers here in NYC! That looks like a real blast! If I was there, I sure wouldn't worry about removing it. Winter Riding!!! ;) Hoist! 8)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »

OK, dj....WTF is that stuff in that pan?  It looks like Doody Bird (chicken) a little bit, but it ain't fried.  I won't even go there with other possibilities....

I believe that those are Chicken Nuggets. We have also done leftover Ribeye Steak, Jalapeno Poppers, Turkey Sausage, Pizza Rolls and a host of other finger foods.

It isn’t necessary to have hot food when riding off trail, but you sure look forward to it when you can get it. We used to stop and build a fire for lunch, but it takes too much time if you are covering a large area.

Attached is a shot of a Montana snow plow driver boiling water to heat up pre-packaged fajita goodies.

djkak

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »

Most folks carry the shovel in a backpack and don’t bother with snowshoes.

djkak

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2007, 12:34:11 AM »

Hey, Howie!  I've never seen anything like that! :shocked2:  That's about as sick as it gets, man! :2vrolijk_21:  You could sell the begeezus outta those set-ups around here, I bet.

What rate of snowfall is it able to keep up with?!?  Do temps affect the performance, too?

That's freakin' cool! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2007, 12:56:28 AM »

Hey, Howie!  I've never seen anything like that! :shocked2:  That's about as sick as it gets, man! :2vrolijk_21:  You could sell the begeezus outta those set-ups around here, I bet.

What rate of snowfall is it able to keep up with?!?  Do temps affect the performance, too?

That's freakin' cool! 8)

Hey Brian, thanks man, and I'm sure glad I didn't have to shovel too. I've been home sick all week. The system is definitely dependent on temperature. Also wind velocity and amount of snow/hour. You use these factors to design the system. Mine is set up for 0 deg F, 50 MPH winds, and 2" snow/hour. You can design it as powerful or weak as you want to. For powerful systems, like anything else, you need the HP to back it up. Just keep throwing BTU's at it! I love it! It's made my life so much easier in the winter! Hoist! 8)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2007, 01:42:21 AM »

Hey Howie,  Is that steam coming out  over there by the flag pole?   Man we got slammed today  i was thinking about ya while breakin my chops plowing for 8 hrs.  come on  spring...... :coolblue:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2007, 02:12:17 AM »

Hey Howie,  Is that steam coming out  over there by the flag pole?   Man we got slammed today  i was thinking about ya while breakin my chops plowing for 8 hrs.  come on  spring...... :coolblue:

Very perceptive Gene. The water vapor you see is the only by product of combustion released to the atomsphere, vented thru PVC pipes on the side of the house. The fresh air for the boilers enters from outside also. It's a sealed combustion system. It's 98%-99% effic. As a condensing boiler, any contaminants go out with the condensate to a floor drain.

We're getting clobbered too. We got freezing rain all day. I got some big piles fall off some surrounding roofs. Instant dump of 6"-8" in some spots. That will take awhile to melt now. I'll run the system until the entire property is dry! Hoist! 8)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2007, 02:22:35 AM »

I thought thats what it was as the new wave of construction up here is using that principle. Its quite cost effective on the new build although there is no NG  up here so propane is the fuel used.   Well  when your neighbors complain bout the loud pipes  just tell em in a ny way to keep your frikin   ice off my property  in the wintah    huh!!   Very cool  system :2vrolijk_21:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2007, 12:28:47 PM »

Gee Howie...  Il'l be thinking bout your side walk  steaming as i go plow for another too many hours!   Dang my front end loader goes up only 12 feet :nervous: :thinking2:

twincam

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2007, 08:03:09 PM »

WHAT THE HELL IS TOPIC SPLIT!!!!!????????????????

twincam

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2007, 08:05:37 PM »

ANYWAY Howie, went on that ride today ........won 1st place in the bike show....... got  a sun burn.......... had to many bud sodas........ will post pics as soon as Gail gets home w/camera!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2007, 08:35:57 AM »

Yea, when it gets deep, we just get out my neighbors bobcat! But it's in the 60's and 70's here now!!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2007, 10:22:29 PM »

I'm lazy ( what else is new ) so I'm not gonna read all 6 pages of this thread, but did anyone suggest that the key to Howie's snow removal system is all the hot air that comes out of his pie hole ?

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2007, 11:11:50 AM »

Well, here we go again! First snow of the year here. Go to the first post here to see what I do about the snow! Lot of new folks here. I thought ya'll would get a kick out of it! ;)

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11910.msg185333#msg185333

Hoist! 8)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2007, 07:23:38 PM »

just starting here looks like snowmobile season starts tomorrow.....
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2007, 08:56:33 AM »

Snowed in the mountains, but missed us, and today it's going to be in the 60's! Think I'll go for a ride.

rmarion

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2008, 05:24:09 PM »

BTW Mad Props to Ya….. On your heated concrete system :bananarock:
2006 FLHTCUSE - Candy/Black
SERT
SEAC
Branch Head Work
BP 595 cam gear drive
2:1 RB Racing Black Hole
Hawgwired Speakers & Amps
Rock & Roll Paint
Danny Grey Seat

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2008, 05:59:33 PM »

BTW Mad Props to Ya….. On your heated concrete system :bananarock:

Thanks rm! My back thanks me for it every time it snows! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2008, 06:20:05 PM »

I was hoping to get a look at the system but the night went by too fast. Maybe next time? Hey Howie, can you help me design a system that would be effective up here in the Lake Effect Region???? :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »

I was hoping to get a look at the system but the night went by too fast. Maybe next time? Hey Howie, can you help me design a system that would be effective up here in the Lake Effect Region???? :nixweiss:

Man, we didn't get down there! Damn! You'll have to come back I guess! :2vrolijk_21:

Absolutely Howie! Can you afford it, is the real question?! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2008, 07:06:33 PM »

Man, we didn't get down there! Damn! You'll have to come back I guess! :2vrolijk_21:

Absolutely Howie! Can you afford it, is the real question?! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
probably can't afford a system that can keep up with this weather. Had a DPW garage roof cave in check out the story here http://www.9wsyr.com/Default.aspx got 3 feet last night!!  :bananarock:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »

probably can't afford a system that can keep up with this weather. Had a DPW garage roof cave in check out the story here http://www.9wsyr.com/Default.aspx got 3 feet last night!!  :bananarock:

I told you about Syracuse. They only have 3 seasons there. July, August and WINTER!!! :o ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »

Howie,
You may remember this intersection up the Bay area hills, not that far from the infamous Alice's restaurant? Well, the stilly GLOBAL WARMING must have messed up cause it was literally closed by the CALTRANS weenies because of this dusting.  :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2008, 02:28:59 PM »

1 more
That's awsome but not to be a Smart A$$.... But you should have taken it a STEP farther... You might slip down the stairs to get to your melted patio :oops:
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2008, 03:12:26 PM »

Howie,

Great system!  I don't need one out here in CA since it never gets that cold  :huepfenjump3:

My bike is parked outside of my office every day!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2008, 03:29:22 PM »

That's awsome but not to be a Smart A$$.... But you should have taken it a STEP farther... You might slip down the stairs to get to your melted patio :oops:

HeHe!!! That only works for poured concrete steps. The bricks can't set with the tubing installed. Not enough room on a stair unless it's in some type of form. Man, you think I never thought that through with everything I did? ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 20 queries.