Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Camera lens for bike shows  (Read 5189 times)

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
Re: Camera lens for bike shows
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 11:23:39 PM »

Congrats on the new equipment.  The extent of my photography skills is point and shoot.  I still can't figger out my new Sony Cybershot.   :huepfenlol2:

HML Not many left

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 11:25:08 PM »

HML Not many left

Now I get it...........you're trying to get to 500..........race ya!   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

Admiral

• 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• SJHR
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »

Now I get it...........you're trying to get to 500..........race ya!   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

I"m just chasing you to help ya out.
You'll get there way before me.
:beerchug:

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 11:29:27 PM »

I"m just chasing you to help ya out.
You'll get there way before me.
:beerchug:

OK.......I'll wait up!

not :P

Admiral

• 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• SJHR
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »

OK.......I'll wait up!

Like that's going to happen.

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 11:32:07 PM »

That is pretty much the extent of my ability also. My wife reminded me while I was lens shopping how much I complain about not knowing how to use my "simple" cameras.  ;) ;D

Well..........you sure do take some pretty pictures of that SERG with the ability you do have!   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 02:18:21 AM »

Got my sister a Nikon DSLR and a couple of decent lenses last year.  She's used it a lot but nearly always shoots in full auto mode.  She does like the flexibility offered by the lenses though.  This year she wanted something as close to a once size fits all lens as could be found.  Knowing that means a few compromises was not a big deal as they're compromises in capabilities she really doesn't take advantage of anyway. 

With all that in mind I almost got her the 18-270.  But she never gets up close to anything.  So instead got her this 28-300:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/506047-REG/Tamron_AF020N_700_28_300mm_f_3_5_6_3_XR_Di.html

It's an image stabilized lens (which for her is a godsend) and has other bells and whistles to make it a decent piece of glass.  Just another for comparison.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »

Any one that plans on using a 250 mm or higher lens should most defenitly get image stabized  or a tri pod .
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »

here is an awesome biking camera with a good all around lens. Takes awesome 14 MPex pictures  www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17624
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 03:40:42 PM by sportygordy »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »

here is an awesome biking camera with a good all around lens. Takes awesome 14 MPex pictures  www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17624

I went this route after seeing Porthole's pics with it. Not quite as compact as the smaller point and shoots, but I found the smaller ones severely lacking in zoom capability. This one has an 18x zoom. Excellent pics! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26114/COOLPIX-P80.html

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 05:02:03 PM »

As I posted earlier in this thread I ordered the 18-55 and the 55-200. It has been shipped and I should receive them Friday. All is good, or so I thought.....

I stopped by the local camera shop today and tried out some lenses. First I'll say I should have purchased from these people, they could not have been more helpful. Moving on, I tried several lenses including the 18-200, that is the lens for me. I bought it with no regard to the fact that the lenses I ordered will accomplish the same thing. I simply have no desire to carry a second lens with me so this all in one "should" do the trick. The shop owner offered to take the lenses I ordered and either sell them on consignment or take them toward a trade on different merchandise. I'll sit on them for awhile to see if I'll use them and if not I'll head to the store with the lenses in tow and pick up a flash.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 05:29:17 PM »

Got my sister a Nikon DSLR and a couple of decent lenses last year.  She's used it a lot but nearly always shoots in full auto mode.  She does like the flexibility offered by the lenses though.  This year she wanted something as close to a once size fits all lens as could be found.  Knowing that means a few compromises was not a big deal as they're compromises in capabilities she really doesn't take advantage of anyway. 

With all that in mind I almost got her the 18-270.  But she never gets up close to anything.  So instead got her this 28-300:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/506047-REG/Tamron_AF020N_700_28_300mm_f_3_5_6_3_XR_Di.html

It's an image stabilized lens (which for her is a godsend) and has other bells and whistles to make it a decent piece of glass.  Just another for comparison.

That's a sweet lens...

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 07:44:58 PM »

As I posted earlier in this thread I ordered the 18-55 and the 55-200. It has been shipped and I should receive them Friday. All is good, or so I thought.....

I stopped by the local camera shop today and tried out some lenses. First I'll say I should have purchased from these people, they could not have been more helpful. Moving on, I tried several lenses including the 18-200, that is the lens for me. I bought it with no regard to the fact that the lenses I ordered will accomplish the same thing. I simply have no desire to carry a second lens with me so this all in one "should" do the trick. The shop owner offered to take the lenses I ordered and either sell them on consignment or take them toward a trade on different merchandise. I'll sit on them for awhile to see if I'll use them and if not I'll head to the store with the lenses in tow and pick up a flash.
God bless small business !!!! I hope the e-sales will end before all small business is gone. :2vrolijk_21:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »

God bless small business !!!! I hope the e-sales will end before all small business is gone. :2vrolijk_21:

Unfortunately, I think e-sales will outlast and eventually cause the demise of the small business.  :-\  For a number of reasons.   A lot of e-sales businesses have "virtual" stores, so no overhead costs for store-front propery, sales staff, utilities, etc, which allows them to offer lower prices; most general e-sales have no middle man, they deal directly with the factory or distributors, thus cutting costs.   They generally don't have to keep as much inventory on hand.  And probably one of the biggest reason is we all can just sit on our couches, order from the PC 24/7 and have the stuff delivered right to our door.  It's a sad state of affairs for commerce, but that's the digital age.   :-\

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 12:42:29 AM »

Mike, had I seen this earlier I would have recommended you start where you ended up.
The 18-200 VR is an excellent zoom lens, there is a reason why it costs more then the two lenses combined you ordered.
Up until very recently Nikon kit lens were junk, so the the pair you ordered may or may not have been the better glass.

If you want a prime lens you can't beat the 50mm AF-S, sharp as a tack, great color and fast
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f14-afs.htm

Just don't brag about your new camera to couple that came with us to Atco  :confused5:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 21 queries.