Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which Torque Wrench?  (Read 1207 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Which Torque Wrench?
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:01:22 AM »

Mrs. Clause is asking and I need to be pretty specific. Looking for a Torque Wrench. I've got the basic bar type but it's difficult to read at certain angles. Thinking about an electric T.W. w/ a 3/8" drive which measures ft./lbs. Accuracy and ease of use are important as is reasonable $$. Any recommendations are appreciated.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Which Torque Wrench?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »

I have all three of these.. Same Tool as Snap On at half the cost... Snap On owns this company  :2vrolijk_21: Note: you might get a notice site unsafe, please ignore,, the site is safe. 

www.bluetools.com/Torque-Tools-Torq-Wrenches-Electronic-Computorq3/c89_83_87/index.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:37:22 AM by cvobiker »

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »

I like the click type, no batteries, don't need to see the gauge, just wait for the click. I think a good click wrench is pretty accurate as long as you don't pull to fast.

Craig

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »

I have all three of these.. Same Tool as Snap On at half the cost... Snap On owns this company  :2vrolijk_21: Note: you might get a notice site unsafe, please ignore,, the site is safe.  

www.bluetools.com/Torque-Tools-Torq-Wrenches-Electronic-Computorq3/c89_83_87/index.html

I have both snap on and the computorq   1/4  and 3/8 inch drive.     I second CVObiker's  recomendations.

I am just waiting for a need to purchase the 1/2 inch drive

Dave.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:03:00 AM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »

Couple things to think about before Mrs Clause goes shopping.  Not all torque wrenches measure when pulling counterclockwise.  So you're out of luck on the left handed threads on the clutch and sprocket nuts.  Also a 3/8" drive wrench is also going to be a shorter wrench.  And you want a fair bit of mechanical advantage when pulling an axle nut one handed while holding the axle itself with the other hand to keep it from moving.  Or when seeing just how much your rear end can pucker when pulling on a compensator nut.  So maybe a longer 1/2" wrench is a better option.

Three years or so ago I was given a Sear/Craftsman digital 1/2" drive wrench.  It measures for both right and left handed thread.  It has a decently long handle too.  But not so long you can't swing in the places you need too.  It was pricey though.  The sticker on the box said it was (then) $220.  Just another option to consider.  In my use, however, it's been a pretty regularly used and very good tool.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »

You will need a good Torque Wrench that is in inch/lbs because most motor work is done in inch/lbs.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 02:19:21 PM »

You will need a good Torque Wrench that is in inch/lbs because most motor work is done in inch/lbs.

Brad
Craftsman has one about $75 last time I looked

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »

Brad

Need both, inch and foot pounds!  :2vrolijk_21:

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »

12"/LB=1'/LB  easy enough to do the conversion.  However, even good torque wrenches are only accurate from 20-80% of full scale, with lesser accuracy from 10-90%.  Don't use them past these points, so keep that in mind when purchasing them.

In addition, you might want to think about having them calibrated on occasion.  To that end, a snap-on, while expensive, might be a better choice as they carry the calibration transducers on the trucks.  Cost to calibrate might be $35 each.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »

Couple things to think about before Mrs Clause goes shopping.  Not all torque wrenches measure when pulling counterclockwise.  So you're out of luck on the left handed threads on the clutch and sprocket nuts.  Also a 3/8" drive wrench is also going to be a shorter wrench.  And you want a fair bit of mechanical advantage when pulling an axle nut one handed while holding the axle itself with the other hand to keep it from moving.  Or when seeing just how much your rear end can pucker when pulling on a compensator nut.  So maybe a longer 1/2" wrench is a better option.

Three years or so ago I was given a Sear/Craftsman digital 1/2" drive wrench.  It measures for both right and left handed thread.  It has a decently long handle too.  But not so long you can't swing in the places you need too.  It was pricey though.  The sticker on the box said it was (then) $220.  Just another option to consider.  In my use, however, it's been a pretty regularly used and very good tool.

If i were in the market for an Electronic Torque Wrench, and i was at one time,, i would stay a mile away from the Craftsman electronic wrench.. easy enough to read the reviews (Google them) and i think you'll understand  :P ... And I've never puckered pulling a compensator nut,,, i just pull out the 'Big Daddy'  :P :P

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 12:52:29 AM »

If i were in the market for an Electronic Torque Wrench, and i was at one time,, i would stay a mile away from the Craftsman electronic wrench.. easy enough to read the reviews (Google them) and i think you'll understand  :P ... And I've never puckered pulling a compensator nut,,, i just pull out the 'Big Daddy'  :P :P

Mine was a gift.  So staying away from it not an option.  Fortunately this one has held up in moderate service so far.  Happen to check its calibration again just a couple weeks ago.  Has always been spot on.  Might crap out tomorrow.  But at least this one has been good so far.

Latest cool thing I've seen is a combination torque wrench and angle gauge.  For fasteners (like first generation Twin Cam comp nuts) that spec a torque plus some amount of further rotation.  

GearWrench and others have digital wrenches out now that measure both.  Totally unnecessary of course.  It's not like you can't accomplish the same thing with a magic marker at the cheap end or a normal cheap angle gauge.  But it's tool-cool... 8)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 09:39:08 AM »

the one i use the most(every day) is snap on 3/8 drive,flex head,ft.lbs. third one from the left. 5lbs-75lbs
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.