Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wife wants to go to Kauai this fall 2012. Suggestions?  (Read 973 times)

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
Wife wants to go to Kauai this fall 2012. Suggestions?
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »

We are going back to the islands for our 30th anny. Kauai is the island. September/October is the target. We have some ideas but want to stay nicely on the cheap of course. "Hotel/Condo touristy is OUT! We are going to pack as much in on a 7 day stay as possible. Any ideas?  :divers009:
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Black Label Mark

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 SE Ultra & 2003 FXDXT
Re: Wife wants to go to Kauai this fall 2012. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »

I have worked there and spent my honeymoon there.  One side of the island is green and the other is dry.  If you like to hike you can walk a few miles into the Napali Coast.  Otherwise take a boat trip to see the Napali Coast. Spectacular scenery! Waimea Canyon is Kauai's version of the Grand Canyon. The towns of Hanalei and Hanapepe are worth checking out. There are Wailua and OpaeKaa falls to see.  The Kilauea Light House.  The Spouting Horn.  The Waimea Brewing Company.  Coffee Plantations.  This is the "Laid Back" island.  We also went in September.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »

FYI, Hawaii State HOG Rally is on Maui this year October 12-14

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

SmileMaker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 97 FLSTS Blue & White
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »

http://www.bedandbreakfastkauai.com/

Poipu Plantation bed and breakfast is centrally located with a friendly staff and by Hawaiian standards
fairly economical. I have stayed in both the Ali'i suite and the master bedroom suite. Black Label has hit
A lot of the high points. Make sure to take a catamaran or zodiac tour of the Napali coast. Many great
beaches to explore.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 01:52:24 AM »

As long as you arent riding... there isnt much to see by way of bike there.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »

As long as you arent riding... there isnt much to see by way of bike there.

That doesn't sound like any fun at all. :(
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:41:56 PM »

That doesn't sound like any fun at all. :(

Kauai is a small island.. you can rent a bike but IMHO not really worth it... take a car.

Maui has more enjoyable roads than any other island with more to see.

Oahu... too many damn people and too many cars!

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »

send her...gives you more riding time...
 :bananarock: :nixweiss:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »

Great stuff thanks! :bananarock:
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

Try www.vrbo.com. (Vacation Rentals By Owners)

Make sure you know if properties are Ocean Front, Ocean View, Close, Mountain.  Don't want to pay beach prices 10 minutes from the water.

Many are vacation homes/condos with full kitchens allowing you to save money by shopping (Costco/Safeway) on first day just for snacks, veggies, some meats and cheeses, beverages.
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:31 PM »

Went there for christmas.  Stayed in Poipu and would go back there again.  It was a great location, places to eat, walk to spouting horn, drive to waimea, jogging by the ocean, beach, snorkeling...  Some pricy resorts, but probably you can find some cheaper places that are near the water.

We also talked about staying in Hanalei if we go back.  it's on the north end, much more laid back, and probably cheaper.  One of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Ditto the catamaran ride to Na Pali.  Amazing!  If the waves are up, it can be quite wet. We did Captain Andy's, but there are several good companies. Good food, good drinks, good service.  Saw more whales and dolphins than we could count.

Personally, I had a nice time renting a heritage and riding around for the day.  There is basically one highway, which goes 3/4 way around the island, so wherever you go, you have to come back the same way.  Traffic was bad near the city, from about the dealership, through town, and 1/2 way up the east side of the island.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 04:09:27 AM »

Went there for christmas.  Stayed in Poipu and would go back there again.  It was a great location, places to eat, walk to spouting horn, drive to waimea, jogging by the ocean, beach, snorkeling...  Some pricy resorts, but probably you can find some cheaper places that are near the water.

We also talked about staying in Hanalei if we go back.  it's on the north end, much more laid back, and probably cheaper.  One of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Ditto the catamaran ride to Na Pali.  Amazing!  If the waves are up, it can be quite wet. We did Captain Andy's, but there are several good companies. Good food, good drinks, good service.  Saw more whales and dolphins than we could count.

Personally, I had a nice time renting a heritage and riding around for the day.  There is basically one highway, which goes 3/4 way around the island, so wherever you go, you have to come back the same way.  Traffic was bad near the city, from about the dealership, through town, and 1/2 way up the east side of the island.

Just be careful staying in Hanalei... if the forecast is for bad weather the entire valley floods.

StrokedRider

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »

So many choices. I/we can't wait. Still deciding on stay location but Poipu ain't sounding to bad. Have already noticed a LOT of the owner rentals are sparce with info and pics.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »

So many choices. I/we can't wait. Still deciding on stay location but Poipu ain't sounding to bad. Have already noticed a LOT of the owner rentals are sparce with info and pics.

My sister spends time on Kauai when visiting from AZ.

I will ask her where she stays when she is there.

Buck0

• '99 FXR3: SE Slip-ons, SE AC, Thunderslide Kit
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »

Don't miss Anini beach on the north end close to Princeville. When we went in September it was quiet and there are several houses down there to rent. There is a park down there but if you keep going past that you will find houses on one side of the road and beach on the other. No one can own beach so you can pull over anywhere and get right on the beach. Our experience was very peaceful, we basically had the beach to ourselves. All the tourists seemed to stop at the park. This is one of my best memories and I highly recommend it to anyone heading to Kaui. Also if you want a little adventure check out Princeville Ranch for Zip Lining, kayaking, horseback riding etc. No I don't work for these people but had a good experience and would do it again in a heartbeat if I could.

http://www.princevilleranch.com/
You don't have to run faster than the hungry bear, you just have to run faster than those around you.

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.