Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG - Progress and Pics  (Read 63022 times)

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
Re: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG-Some Progress Pics
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »

Look at the size of that motor, you are going to need a set of wheelie bars to keep the front end on the ground.  :jalapeno:

Nice project, looking forward to the end results.  :2vrolijk_21:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2008, 04:08:07 AM »

Don't get too excited Jeff. My '85 came with an Evo. The '84 frame came with a shovel and an Evo won't fit in it without raising the backbone. Just wanted to make sure you know the difference between the earlier 4-speed swingarm frames, and '85/'86 4-speed swingarm frames. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie, the 84 FXRS Low Glide was one of the first models to come out with an Evo. And a five speed to boot. She was my first Harley. Lot of riders back then gave me heck for buying a Jap Harley with an aluminum engine. Wasn't a real Harley. I still ride with some of those same guys. Guess what their motors are made of nowadays. Times change.

JW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2008, 08:04:59 AM »

Look at the size of that motor, you are going to need a set of wheelie bars to keep the front end on the ground.  :jalapeno:
Nice project, looking forward to the end results.  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks, and hopefully we'll be seeing those results soon! :2vrolijk_21:

Howie, the 84 FXRS Low Glide was one of the first models to come out with an Evo. And a five speed to boot. She was my first Harley. Lot of riders back then gave me heck for buying a Jap Harley with an aluminum engine. Wasn't a real Harley. I still ride with some of those same guys. Guess what their motors are made of nowadays. Times change.

JW

Sorry Jeff, I thought you were referring to the 4-speed solid mount frames. The FXR is a 5-speed rubber mount frame. Even though it started as a shovel, as we all know, the Evo fits in that frame. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2008, 07:24:36 PM »

Dropped Cybil off today for the 500 mile Service on the new motor. Brought my camera to get some updated shots of her Lil Sister! The drivetrain's in and starting to get buttoned to see what other custom changes need to be made to accomodate the 110 on steroids. Vern was able to utilize the stock Oil Tank and Battery Box, which is what I was hoping for. I still want this bike to look like a stock '85 FXWG 4-speed Evo, even tho it's now a 110 6-speed. But that timeless look is what I'm trying to retain. If he can figure out a way to get the coil mounted in the stock location, our fitment problems are behind us. Next week, he'll remove the front end and get the new Traxxioned one on. The PM stuff should also come in next week. Just ordered new Metzler Lasertec front and rear tires today. It's coming together much better than I expected, which is a pleasant experience for a change. :2vrolijk_21:

Here's a few more progress shots showing things getting buttoned up and fitment of the stock Oil Tank and battery Box. This stuff might not sound like a big deal to ya'll, but it is to me. And she's coming out just how I hoped she would! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:35:45 PM by Hoist! »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 07:25:06 PM »

!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »

!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »

!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »

!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2008, 07:27:32 PM »

Last one for now. More updates next week, I hope! Thanks for checking it out. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:38:39 PM by Hoist! »

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »

Last one for now. More updates next wekk, I hope! Thanks for checking it out. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Howie,

Looking good.  Looks like a lot of progress in a short amount of time.  Can't wait to see the finished project.  It's easy to see that this bike is definately purpose built and that purpose is FUN! 

Craig

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »

any worys about exhaust fitment?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »

any worys about exhaust fitment?

We're gonna make it work. I'm using the same exhaust as on Cybil, FatCat w/Quiet Big Bore Muffler. We ordered it for an '85 Softail, and will have to modify/make a muffler bracket for it. I hope it reasonably follows the lines of the bike OK. It should, cause the FatCat pretty much comes straight back after the header. We shall see, but so far, I've been pleasantly surprised about her progress and her look! ;)

Howie,

Looking good.  Looks like a lot of progress in a short amount of time.  Can't wait to see the finished project.  It's easy to see that this bike is definately purpose built and that purpose is FUN! 

Craig

Thanks Craig, hope to have more progress next weekend if more parts show up. Made for fun is right! Made for PERFORMANCE, which is my translation for FUN!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:39:26 PM by Hoist! »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »

Howie, you going to do anything different with that ugly Revtech air cleaner cover?  Maybe a nice S&S or something :nixweiss: ?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »

And how about some nice copper or stainless oil lines to replace those fugly hoses??    :nixweiss:    and how about...   

(Lot's more "help" available upon request!!)      :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper:   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »

Howie, you going to do anything different with that ugly Revtech air cleaner cover?  Maybe a nice S&S or something :nixweiss: ?

I'm weighing whether to swap it for Super G carb or just getting an S&S backplate for it for the S&S Teardrop cover. The motor came with the carb, and they have no use for it. So I'd have to buy a complete S&S carb setup to change it. How are those Mikunis? I think it's an HSR 45. Trying to decide on that one.

I also thought about that Big Air Carb from PSI Power. Any reports from anyone that's used that carb yet?

http://www.psicarbs.com/bigair.php

And how about some nice copper or stainless oil lines to replace those fugly hoses??    :nixweiss:    and how about...  

(Lot's more "help" available upon request!!)      :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper:   :2vrolijk_21:

We're not up to that yet, but help away Scott! ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:58:49 AM by Hoist! »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.