Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: To and from the Redwoods Run GTG, 2016  (Read 15025 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: To and from the Redwoods Run GTG, 2016
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »

On the way to Jim's and Metal Dragon I decided to take Miguel down Lombard Street.  For those that have never been, it's a very steep, twisty road that's billed as "the crookedest road in America".   Here are some images of it.....   https://www.google.com/search?

https://www.google.com/search?q=lombard+street+images&biw=1920&bih=947&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiTgs--r6HNAhVJJ1IKHarzAJUQsAQIGw

NOTE:  This is the first time Babe ever volunteered to get off and take pictures.  Actually, she insisted!  :huepfenlol2:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »

And it runs at a 27 degree angle
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2016, 09:11:27 AM »

JC, you forgot to mention that the side going up to the top of Lombard can be a challenge too. It may be straight, but it's VERY STEEP. So much so that you probably should keep at least 3 car lengths distance from the vehicles in front, just in case the driver ahead is slow getting from brake to accelerator and they start rolling back into you. Really need good confidence working the clutch, throttle and brakes to keep yourself from rolling back too. And the angle at the top is so steep, that when cresting it in a car, the hood blocks your view of the street and you loose sight of everything directly in front of you.

As the infamous comedian Bill Cosby said in one of his routines, the flower beds along the side of Lombard Street are where they "buried the bodies of all the people who didn't make it".
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »

We stopped by Jim's at Metal Dragon for my service and then on over to Don & Carols for a very nice b-b-q, conversation and we spent the night.  Up early the next morning, Don made breakfast for all of us and then we were off to Corbin to get the p-pad fitted to Miguel's bike.

Since we were in Hollister, we had to stop by Johnnie's.  Some of you older folks will recognize this magazine shot taken in front of Johnnie's and the accompanying story.  As soon as this came out, Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin filmed The Wild One based on this story.  That's why they call Johnnie's "The birthplace of the American biker".

and another interesting story based at Johnnie's........

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »

and another wino, nodding on the bench out front....

and a pic of my bike in the exact same location as the Life Magazine photo that was taken in 1947....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »

We headed on down Hwy 101 however, it quickly started heading towards the triple digit temps and so we turned ouf at Jolan Rd. and headed over to Nacaimento-Ferguson Rd. to the coast and Hwy. 1 again.

West Coast GTG   

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2016, 10:02:44 AM »

As the infamous comedian rapist Bill Cosby said in one of his routines, the flower beds along the side of Lombard Street are where they "buried the bodies of all the people who didn't make it".

Just calling a spade a spade
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »

JC, you forgot to mention that the side going up to the top of Lombard can be a challenge too. It may be straight, but it's VERY STEEP. So much so that you probably should keep at least 3 car lengths distance from the vehicles in front, just in case the driver ahead is slow getting from brake to accelerator and they start rolling back into you. Really need good confidence working the clutch, throttle and brakes to keep yourself from rolling back too. And the angle at the top is so steep, that when cresting it in a car, the hood blocks your view of the street and you loose sight of everything directly in front of you.

As the infamous comedian Bill Cosby said in one of his routines, the flower beds along the side of Lombard Street are where they "buried the bodies of all the people who didn't make it".

The grade on both the up hill and down hill sides of Lombard St. is 27%......very steep.  Since you mention the up hill side.  It's three or four blocks to the top of the hill and a stop sign (up hill) at each cross street.  As we approached the second stop sign I grabbed my front brake like I've always done on the hills in San Francisco (I've lived there twice).  However, at the second time we had to come to a complete stop due to cross traffic.  My bike started sliding backwards (car right behind me) and it was going to pick up speed quickly as I applied the front brake even harder (thinking I didn't have it tight enough).  Just about the time I realized it was the weight of my loaded Bushtec trailer pulling me backwards I had just enough balance (I was doing the fast back pedal, trying to keep the bike upright as I slid back down the hill) to be able to stab the foot brake while simultaneously revving the motor way up and gradually letting the clutch out.  Let me just say it's very hard to get a bike moving up hill at that grade from a dead stop but tie a loaded trailer on the back of that and you can imagine just how hard it was to get it rolling up hill from the backwards slide.  It was very scarry!  :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2016, 11:38:36 PM »

The grade on both the up hill and down hill sides of Lombard St. is 27%......very steep.  Since you mention the up hill side.  It's three or four blocks to the top of the hill and a stop sign (up hill) at each cross street.  As we approached the second stop sign I grabbed my front brake like I've always done on the hills in San Francisco (I've lived there twice).  However, at the second time we had to come to a complete stop due to cross traffic.  My bike started sliding backwards (car right behind me) and it was going to pick up speed quickly as I applied the front brake even harder (thinking I didn't have it tight enough).  Just about the time I realized it was the weight of my loaded Bushtec trailer pulling me backwards I had just enough balance (I was doing the fast back pedal, trying to keep the bike upright as I slid back down the hill) to be able to stab the foot brake while simultaneously revving the motor way up and gradually letting the clutch out.  Let me just say it's very hard to get a bike moving up hill at that grade from a dead stop but tie a loaded trailer on the back of that and you can imagine just how hard it was to get it rolling up hill from the backwards slide.  It was very scarry!  :nervous:
It is amazing how far Miguel has come since that first ride not that many months ago. Good for you El Diablo!!!
Alan

ultrarider123

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2016, 10:55:56 AM »

As always, it was a privilege riding along with you, JC, even if it was via 1's and 0's instead of blacktop.  Thank ya sir. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »

Turning south on PCH 1, the ocean is on our right.....the best direction of travel for this highway.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:46:41 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »

The fog is quickly rolling in again.  At least it's above the road so we'll not be riding directly in it and will still be able to see down the Hwy.....

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:45:56 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2016, 09:43:55 PM »

Further down the highway we stopped at Ragged Point.  Live music, a little sun peeking through the fog.....

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:45:35 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2016, 09:45:02 PM »

Another great ride with friends in the wind.......

West Coast GTG   

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »

Nice close up shots guys. :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 25 queries.