Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Riding the hills Oakland and Berkley.....a different perspective of the bay area  (Read 9207 times)

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate

JC,

Your 2012 Oakland Hills photo quite a contrast to 1991.

The 1991 photo (Richard Misrach) shows a barren, destroyed landscape—melted cars, charred trees and freestanding chimneys. They’re all in color, but at first glance some appear to be in black and white because of the desolation wrought by the fire.

On October 20, 1991, a fire ravaged the Oakland and Berkeley hills, destroying more than 3,000 homes and killing 25 people.  Days after the fire, photographer Richard Misrach ventured up to the hills from his home in Emeryville with an 8-by-10-inch view camera to chronicle the destruction.

Check out more of Richards photos online.

http://oaklandnorth.net/2011/08/04/oakland-hills-fire-commemorated-in-photos-for-20-year-anniversary/
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis

Totally awesome pics. Appreciate it. JC would you PM me instructions on how to post a bunch of pictures as you have done. Thanks.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8

This ride report is dedicated to my friend Judy.....while she's laid up, recouperating from her accident.

Rode over to the bay area yesterday.  Don rode over from Freemont and met Andy and I at the Elephant Bar for dinner last night.  I spent the night at Andy's guest house (or is that the pool house?).  Due to all the recent rains, the early morning sky was crystal clear and so I broke out the Nikon....

The view of Andy's home taken from the front door of the guest house, as I first stepped out...

and various views from the deck around the outside of Andy's home

Thank you for taking picture's for me JC  :huepfenjump3: I so loved the view from the mountain looking down over the San Fran bridge.  And the bay was breath taking  :pepper: could you feel me tapping you on the shoulder when you took that curve too fast?  :lolk:  The weather looked like it was a glorious day for a mc ride, but what was with all the bugs?  :nixweiss: I'm so anal that every time we would have stopped, I would have been cleaning my windshield  :P The weather here today is 34 and snowing.  I have made progress  :2vrolijk_21: I have put my walker away and moved up to my cane. YIPPEE  :huepfenpinkie:  thank you again for the journey off my couch today.  I couldn't think of a better trip with such beautiful sites  ::)

You can see the southern end of San Francisco off in the distance...

We're rollin.....going to meet Don for breakfast.

Andy said he owns Solyndra......paid for it through his taxes.... :huepfenlol2:

We headed out to Niles Canyon and left on Palomares Rd.

Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Totally awesome pics. Appreciate it. JC would you PM me instructions on how to post a bunch of pictures as you have done. Thanks.

You have to host your pictures elsewhere on the net.  I use Flicker.  For $20 a year you can get Flicker Pro and have unlimited storage space.  You host them elsewhere then capture the image tag via the BBC code, copy and past them all in one post. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis

You have to host your pictures elsewhere on the net.  I use Flicker.  For $20 a year you can get Flicker Pro and have unlimited storage space.  You host them elsewhere then capture the image tag via the BBC code, copy and past them all in one post. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks, I'll work on getting setup.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Thanks, I'll work on getting setup.

Keep in mind.....when you transfer your photos to Flicker (or some other host site) and then delete them off of your computer without saving them on a disc or some place else.....once they're on flicker you can't send them to your printer to print them.  So, If I have photos of family or friends that I may want to print out at a latter date, I save those on my computer until I have quite a few then I save them to a disc.

By moving the scenery shots to Flicker and getting them off my computer, it keeps all that space clear on my computer (and keeps my puter faster, also).  Just have to remember to defrag from time to time.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?

By the way.......can we get a collection going to get Andy a new pair of riding gloves? :nixweiss:

All right now...my brother needs some new gloves and I know times are tight!  Count me in with a donation towards the cause!  One matter is certain, he gets his monies worth!

:2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

Something tells me that you guys may have been exceeding the 20mph speed limit here!  Besides look at you setting up a shot 2 seconds before a hard turn!

:o

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

Dang Guys!  It looked like you rode through some farm country too but I never knew there were bug farms in CA!

8)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

JC,

I must say that you have become the biker photo journalist by which all others should be measured!  Your ability to have your subjects pose on cue is amazing!  Your use of skills to have subjects conduct things others dream about is uncanney.  Once again you have out done yourself.

To all of you that what to know where the bar is set for 2012...Meet your master!

Thanks JC...Looking forward to more...

P.S.

Terrie,

Please note that he is not performing this feat for himself but for the greater good of the other members that can not be there!

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5

Keep in mind.....when you transfer your photos to Flicker (or some other host site) and then delete them off of your computer without saving them on a disc or some place else.....once they're on flicker you can't send them to your printer to print them.  So, If I have photos of family or friends that I may want to print out at a latter date, I save those on my computer until I have quite a few then I save them to a disc.

By moving the scenery shots to Flicker and getting them off my computer, it keeps all that space clear on my computer (and keeps my puter faster, also).  Just have to remember to defrag from time to time.

and run CCleaner   every now and then..... http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/update?v=3.16.1666&l=1033

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:17:52 PM by rbaker »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

They just had a 4.0 earthquake just north of Berkeley.......along the Hayward fault. :o

West Coast GTG   

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member

JC thanks for the Pics, everything looks great. Where was Terrie? You coming east anytime soon?

BigLew

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8

JC thanks for the Pics, everything looks great. Where was Terrie? You coming east anytime soon?

BigLew

Yea!  Are you and Terrie coming east someday so we can ride together?  You always have a place to stay at my house  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member

Thanks for the ride report.  Looked like a great ride.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 25 queries.