Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A road trip to Safford, Az. past Cosmic Campground, N.M. to Reserve, New Mexico  (Read 2818 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

We were invited on a ride through the White Mountains on Hwy. 191 aka The Devil's Hwy....  (https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/us666.cfm) by RV friends, David and Jessica.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

After our arrival in Safford, we quickly learned that Hwy. US 191 (formerly US 666 thus the nickname of the Devil's Hwy) was closed at the Morenci Mine in both directions due to emergency bridge abutment repairs.  A link to my ride report from last year on US 191......  https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=120872.msg1510114#msg1510114

Babe and I rode over to Safford RV Resort where David & Jessica had their Grand Design Momentum 376TH toyhauler.

A quick change of plans.....we decided to ride over to Duncun, Az. where we snapped a few pics of The Simpson Hotel...we're rollin' with David & Jessica taking the lead.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

From Duncun, Az. I took the lead and we rode north on Az 75 to north on Az 78.  Stopping for scenic views and the kodak moments once we were up in the White Mountains.....

A glamor fashion shot of Jessica and Babe....

Soon we came to the NM state line...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

We passed Cosmic Campground that has zero night light pollution aka Dark Sky viewing.....  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gila/recarea/?recid=82479 

A little wait for road construction.....

We have finally arrived at our destination...dinner at Carmen's in Reserve, New Mexico....

Heading back down out of the mountains, the sun started going down and I took the lead.  Picking up the pace trying to get off of the mountain before the sun went down...as I rounded a curve to the right a couple of javalena pigs were on the side of the road.  Just as I came around the curve one of those damn pics decided to stroll across the road right in front of me.  Quickly on both binders and evasive manuever, some how I made it past both of those javalena's without one of them ending up on my fender.   We also came across several large heards of deer on both sides of the road.....a scarry decent back down that mountain. 

All in, it was a great ride with David & Jessica and Babe and I look forward to the next one!

West Coast GTG   

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom

Great pics, reason luv riding out west!
Seems about time for a post Covid 19 get together, say when
Ride safe!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Thanks for sharing and great pic  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 22 queries.