Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New CVO, researching engine upgrade options.  (Read 3769 times)

Lane

New CVO, researching engine upgrade options.
« on: July 01, 2021, 08:19:31 PM »

Hi

I now have a '20 CVO Limited that I purchased last July after my '09 Ultra engine decided to self implode. (Lots of metallic pieces in the oil.)

My old '09 I did the 110cid engine upgrade and really liked it. At first I'm liking the power of the 117, but lately my mind has been going crazy thinking I need even more HP and torque. But I also don't want my MPG to go into the toilet.

There is now 11,000 miles on it and I'm trying to think if I want and or need an engine upgrade. So I'll be checking out posts on this forum to read about others experience.

So I'm here researching.

Turk_97

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: New CVO, researching engine upgrade options.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »

Welcome to the forum and nice ride congrats.   I have a ‘20 cvo and I did a stage 3 with fullsac manifold and pipes I am very happy and my full economy is still decent.  I only have ever run 91 octane in it and still get over 400 kms 240 miles per tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-= Whew That Was Close =-

Lane

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 09:10:26 PM »

Welcome to the forum and nice ride congrats.   I have a ‘20 cvo and I did a stage 3 with fullsac manifold and pipes I am very happy and my full economy is still decent.  I only have ever run 91 octane in it and still get over 400 kms 240 miles per tank

Thanks. I'm not wanting to do anything that would void the warranty. From what I understand the fullsac manifold would do that. So with the Stage 3 you went from 117CID to 122CID right? Did you have it dynoed before and after? What kind of numbers did you get?

Turk_97

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
New CVO, researching engine upgrade options.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 05:58:25 AM »

Yes I should be more clear when I say what I have done to my bike.   I am in Canada and the Harley dealer did all the work and added it to my extended warranty.   Which is okay with me because they add it to the Harley network so no matter where I am apparently it is under Harley warranty.  Must be a Canadian thing sorry.   

-= Whew That Was Close =-

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 09:50:13 AM »

Myself and local tuners are building some very strong and reliable M8s right here in your backyard.
It is not crazy to get 150 square plus out of a touring build at 130". More importantly this build has over 110 ft lbs at 2200 and hits 140tq by 3k. Gas mileage cruising is nearly the same as stock, when you get on it it will use fuel as it should.
https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=120673.0

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 07:50:18 AM »

Thanks. I'm not wanting to do anything that would void the warranty. From what I understand the fullsac manifold would do that. So with the Stage 3 you went from 117CID to 122CID right? Did you have it dynoed before and after? What kind of numbers did you get?
On mine with a change of cam to Cyclerama 483 I got 131 hp and 143 torque with the billet comp, no headwork, 1275 SE clutch spring, and the Aim slip and assist.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »

Yes I should be more clear when I say what I have done to my bike.   I am in Canada and the Harley dealer did all the work and added it to my extended warranty.   Which is okay with me because they add it to the Harley network so no matter where I am apparently it is under Harley warranty.  Must be a Canadian thing sorry.   

Be careful with the warranty ESP . If you check, yes, most will cover your bike but, they MAY not replace aftermarket parts with the same, only stock parts.
Anything your are told about replacing parts under warranty get in writing!
CYA, ask me how I know! LOL 😂

Also, depending on your goals and how you ride, you can put together a pretty nice package from the Harley catalog and keep everything “legal”
 8)
HOGMIKE

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »

Welcome! Trying to understand your warranty status. You say your bike is a 2020, which means you would be about out of factory warranty if you are the 2nd owner, or did you buy it brand new as a leftover and the warranty started July of 21?
The reason I ask is once the factory warranty has expired the upgrade world is your oyster and that changes everything!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Lane

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »

Welcome! Trying to understand your warranty status. You say your bike is a 2020, which means you would be about out of factory warranty if you are the 2nd owner, or did you buy it brand new as a leftover and the warranty started July of 21?
The reason I ask is once the factory warranty has expired the upgrade world is your oyster and that changes everything!

In my original post which was dated July of last year, i stated that I bought it new the previous year. It is currently May of 2022. I had the Harley Screamin Eagle Stage IV 131 upgrade done in February. I love it. It is truly a "screamin eagle". Man does it go.  Thanks to everyone for your input.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 07:49:55 PM »

In my original post which was dated July of last year, i stated that I bought it new the previous year. It is currently May of 2022. I had the Harley Screamin Eagle Stage IV 131 upgrade done in February. I love it. It is truly a "screamin eagle". Man does it go.  Thanks to everyone for your input.

Did you use all of the stock header pipe that comes with the kit and the SE Tuner.? How is the Heat of motor. Reason is I have a 2022 CVO RG Limited and been researching doing the 131" on mine. I live in South Texas so its already hot down here in summer...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Lane

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 08:10:36 PM »

Did you use all of the stock header pipe that comes with the kit and the SE Tuner.? How is the Heat of motor. Reason is I have a 2022 CVO RG Limited and been researching doing the 131" on mine. I live in South Texas so its already hot down here in summer...

Yes to both of those questions. I have not noticed any increase in heat coming out of the motor. But I've only got about 1k on it, and in Washington state the highest temps we've seen since then has been about 65 degrees. There will be a long distance trip in June of 2500 miles to Utah and then west through Nevada (Hwy 50) and back home. It will be two up and with luggage. So I'll be able to answer more after that.

I had an '09 Ultra before this bike. With the 110 engine upgrade and that thing put out the heat. This M8 engine with water cooling is a lot better. A lot!

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.