Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Speedo/6th gear light on/off  (Read 2510 times)

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Speedo/6th gear light on/off
« on: August 26, 2023, 02:37:51 PM »

Good Afternoon,
Heading home from the uk's biggest Harley Rally (Thunder in the Glens) we noticed that when in 6th gear and over 70mph the gear light would go off along with the speedo going to zero ?? the amber engine management light would also light up.
Once we had to slow or speed up i noticed this made a impact on this issue, throttle open and light came back along with speedo but as soon as throttle off they went off again?? Nearer home the bike decided to cut out and speedo only came on a few times below 30mph !! Scratching my head here
Any help please?
Thanks in advance guys

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Speedo/6th gear light on/off
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 03:25:59 PM »

Good Afternoon,
Heading home from the uk's biggest Harley Rally (Thunder in the Glens) we noticed that when in 6th gear and over 70mph the gear light would go off along with the speedo going to zero ?? the amber engine management light would also light up.
Once we had to slow or speed up i noticed this made a impact on this issue, throttle open and light came back along with speedo but as soon as throttle off they went off again?? Nearer home the bike decided to cut out and speedo only came on a few times below 30mph !! Scratching my head here
Any help please?
Thanks in advance guys

Hey Tazz, welcome to CVOharley.

If you could provide some details such as year and type of bike, along with codes that you can pull up on your speedo. That would be a great help for someone to help  diagnose over the net.

Sounds like you made it home safely which is always a good thing.

Give us a rundown on Thunder in the Glens when you have the time.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 04:19:51 PM »

Howdy, Thanks for the welcome  ;D
2013 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic Cvo 110 Screaming Eagle
Not sure where to start finding codes??
Does anyone have a easy step by step guide?
Cheers
Neil

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 05:47:50 PM »

A link  providing info like this is very helpful, really simple once you go thru the process. Take your time and report back.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-harley-trouble-codes.html#!model%3DTOURING%20FLH%2FFLT%20MODELS%7C%7Cmake%3DHARLEY-DAVIDSON

It could also be a loose connection at the battery or ground connection to frame or even battery going/gone bad. I just thru these out there but the codes are a good place to start.

Good luck

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 06:50:59 PM »

Could the speed sensor from the transmission case and clean it. Bet that is your issue
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 08:46:25 PM »

Could the speed sensor from the transmission case and clean it. Bet that is your issue

A definite possibility on dirty VSS.  A PO50? should come up on codes

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 11:06:20 AM »

Hi,
Well that link to codes worked so thanks for that.
Codes as follow if someone could help?
P CODES
P0107
P0374
P0501
P0572
Followed by pn31871-11 ??

S CODES
b1155
then pn 68924-07

5p CODE
PN 70733-10

t CODE
pn74740-10

b CODE
c 1094
pn 32836-09a

not sure on what to make of all these codes but since a swopped out my front indicators to custom dynamic indicator/running lights they do flash fast after a few seconds? so maybe this can bring up a code.
main issue as mentioned is the original issue which k
looks like the VSS.
Any further input welcome please

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 03:11:05 PM »

Yeah Tazz you have a few codes.

With front LED’s you need a load equalizer from custom dynamics, this is why your signal lights flash at a high rate.

May I suggest you put factory OEM bulbs back in, check the codes, clear them one by one and take her for a ride, come back and check for codes again. If not install a load equalizer and proceed.

You sure the battery is good? Electrical connections secure, no corrosion? I could go on but will stop here at this time. Do you have the factory service manuals? Are there any more mods or add-ons that you failed to mention?

I know you're concerned with the speedo error but these electrical gremlins are more than just a faulty VSS. And maybe simple too, so proceed methodically.

And last but not least, are you screwing with me?  :drink: fair question for your first post, we have had a few pranksters here, not to mention any names.  :coolblue:

Attach some pictures please

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:27:19 PM by TN »

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 04:01:16 PM »

Good advice
i will spend a few hours tomorrow and as you say start at basics
watch this space  ;D
Certainly not messing about buddy so not sure who you ment?
anyway i will go through everything and get back to you

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 10:03:06 PM »

Tazz, any update?

You had me thrown off when ya used the word Howdy, from a European that’s not too common and I do realize we’re in an uncommon world today so pardon me for my questioning your sincerity.

I had a problem with a ground wire to my Map sensor once and it kept throwing PO374 code which relates to the CPK sensor, this is why I keep bringing up grounds and codes. Once I replugged my Map sensor it cleared the problem I was experiencing 

I’m not trying to confuse you but I’d like to be able to give you some assistance. I’m just a parts changer but I do have a similar year bike that I know fairly well.

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »

Hi,
Where do i find this plug map sensor? i was going to renew the VSS today but will look at that ground if you could point me in the right direction please  :)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 10:55:15 AM »

Hi,
Where do i find this plug map sensor? i was going to renew the VSS today but will look at that ground if you could point me in the right direction please  :)

Tazz, let’s not throw parts at it just yet. Did you get a load equalizer or put your stock front bulbs in?

You have to remove starter to access the VSS, there is a main ground wire right next to it.

The MAP sensor is right behind the A/C, I see no reason to mess with that right now.

You really need a factory manual if you’re serious about maintaining the bike. It’ll tell you things like disconnect battery before removing starter.

With flashers working correct check for codes and clear all of them, make sure your battery connections good, battery too, take for a spin and come back and check for codes.

Some of your listed codes is because the front custom dynamics led turn signal without load equalizer.

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 03:23:14 PM »

Here we go,
Fitted a load equalizer and cleared codes all ok with that part.
As i had ordered a VSS from Ebay  fitted that and the relevant code has cleared,
took it out for a blast and initially it cut out at the first junction? then proceeded to run along around 2 miles with no apparent issue, on the return the speedo then started cutting out again when i throttled on but then came back once throttled off.
the engine light then came on for a minute then off again.
once i got home i checked codes and nothing relating to VSS but CODE P0374 CKP Sensor Synch Error ALONG WITH CODE b1006 ?? all other codes gone.
i looked at ground wires and connection looks tight ? any other signs to look at? or do i disconnect and clean?
will get a workshop manual sorted asap, but any further help welcome
cheers
Neil

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 06:39:29 AM »

Neil, does your engine cut out as in miss / stumble?  Or is your only symptom the speedo quits working? 

Don’t be concerned with the b1006 code for now

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2023, 12:37:51 PM »

HI,
YES IT CUTS OUT AND RUNS ERRATIC BUT ON/OFF ??
The speedo issue only came on/off depending on acceleration throttle open gauge dies throttle off speedo back on ??

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 03:31:45 PM »

UPDATE.....
Removed old Badlands Resistor and now b 1006 cleared.
Took connector to CKP Sensor apart and cleaned contacts then reassembled with Dielectric grease then went for a blast with no fault codes showing.
Just been out again and although the bike is running well i checked codes on return to find the P0374  code showing ?? bike running well with no spluttering or engine management light on.
What do you think ?
Cheers
Neil

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 06:40:31 PM »

Crank sensor error.  First free and easy thing to try is to remove and wipe it off.  Hope that in doing so you don't find frightening debris on it.  If you find no frightening debris and after cleaning it the code returns again replace the sensor.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2023, 11:30:05 AM »

When I do any kind of electrical in the shop I first at least pull the main fuse. There is a certain sequence to follow.

Take your A/C off, backing plate too. Clean the connectors at the throttle body plug like you did the CPK. Look on top of throttle body and you will see the MAP sensor, same with plug there too. Be careful with plugs and wires. You can remove the MAP if ya choose, sometimes they need cleaning. Good idea to pull CPK from front clean and inspect, as mentioned earlier.

Pay close attention to plugs……..., pins and sockets as much as you can. Assemble, ride, check for codes.

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2023, 06:23:07 PM »

Good advice thanks  :) will get onto it this weekend

Tazzman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2023, 03:00:49 PM »

All seems good now, i was advised that a Vance and Hines Fuelpak would be a good idea !! have you any opion on these ?
Cheers
Neil

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2023, 06:28:14 AM »

All seems good now, i was advised that a Vance and Hines Fuelpak would be a good idea !! have you any opion on these ?
Cheers
Neil

I have no experience with that tuning device so I will not comment, my suggestion would be a powervision or other flash tuning device.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2023, 09:50:50 AM »

Welcome to the forum Neil great guys n gals here all wiling to help and share 😀

You mentioned a Fuelpak, I've got one on my 07 ultra  it seems to work OK  the only thing is not may "if any" tuners will touch you bike with a Fuelpak on it,..least that's what I'm finding.  I my be changing mine it been on the bike since new 2007 out of date.

If you haven't yet got one get it touch with Alex at Fast Lane Head Works,  he's bast in Lincolnshire  great guy he'll help you out.

Tell him Pete with the CVO  and rod bushings said to call.

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.