Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: ADDING TURN SIGNALS TO LED TOURPACK LIGHTS (parts list and instructions)  (Read 101746 times)

Mntsnow

Re: ADDING TURN SIGNALS TO LED TOURPACK LIGHTS
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »

Well I got the module installed and figured out my wiring on my streetglide and got the tourpak lights working as described.  BUT I am now wondering could the side marker tourpak run leds be tied in as well (piggyback their same side violet and ground connections at the output side of the 8 pin molex connector) and have them become brake and turn signals as well?

I didn't want to just do it and run the risk of screwing something up without first asking

Thanks.

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »

I think that might work,just don't do any damage you can't fix if it don't work. good luck     jdo

Mntsnow

« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2011, 12:16:54 AM »

Well I can say that it kinda works when hooked up as I described above...They will  still work as park lights and will flash on and off for turn but they will flash opposite from the tourpak and standard turnsignals and the killer of the plan...they go off when the brake is used :(..  Back to the drawing board and the search continues.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »

I bought the harness. Could somebody post instructions with pix or a detailed instructions , I guess JDO might assume that I knew what I was doing , but in regards to wiring the bike i was born with one hand and no eyes!!!! PLEASE>>>> :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:29:58 AM by darth davidson »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »

I bought the harness. Could somebody post instructions with pix or a detailed instructions , I guess JDO might assume that I knew what I was doing , but in regards to wiring the bike i was born with one hand and no eyes!!!! PLEASE>>>> :'( :'( :'( :'(

Take your time, it's actually less daunting that it appears. Take the liner out of the bottom of your TP. Take your seat off the bike. There's 2 main parts and a plastic connector.

To get oriented: The Y-Adapter goes under the seat. You'll need to find the wire that comes through the rear fender. Find the wire it plugs into. Unplug it. Now plug the y-adapter plugs into the plugs you just unplugged. Your rear lights should now work again and you should have an open plug that your new TP harness will plug into later.

Next, find the wire coming out of the LED light bar at the rear of the TP. Follow the wire to it's plug and unplug it. Lay the factory plug somewhere in the bottom of the TP where it is secure in case someday you want to reuse it. Now take the long wire with the HD module on it. Lay the module in the TP bottom. Take the wire with the metal tips and wrap it tightly into a point with electrical tape. Find where all the wires go through the grommet at the front of the TP. Spread the wires as best you can and work the electrical tape point you just made through the grommet with the other wires. Its a tight fit but if you work it back and forth and slowly, it will work its way through. Once the tip is through, pull the rest of the wire through the grommet. Remove the electrical tape.

Now follow JDO's instructions and install plastic connector on the wire you just pulled through the grommet. Once the plug is on the wire, you should be able to plug it into the open end of the y-adapter you already installed under the seat. Now everything is ready to be plugged in but you're still not done.

Final wiring step. You'll need to make changes to the plug at the end of the wire that comes out of the LED bar. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the white base of the plug slightly out. It doesn't need to move very far to be unlocked. Once it's unlocked you'll need to move 2 wires to opposite slots for the LEDs to function properly. I found it very easy to just take a paperclip, unbend it and then push it into the hole above the wire you'll be moving. You should be able to easily slip the chosen terminal out the back of the plug as you push the paperclip in.

I needed to only move 2 wires for my 2010 SEUC LED TP lighting to be fully functional. Just focus on the 4 outer wires at the 4 corners of the plug. These 4 wires control the corner turn signals on the LED TP Bar. 2 of the 4 wires are black. These are the grounds. The other 2 corner wires have a very faint stripe. These are the power leads. Take these power leads and swap their position. These are the only 2 wires you should need to move. Once they are pushed through into their new positions, just take the needle nose pliers and push the white base back into position to lock the terminals in place. Now plug the HD module into the TP plug you just modified. Test the system by turning the ignition on and trying your turn signals.

You should find that both the lower and TP turn signals  are now flashing together until you apply the brake. When the brake is applied, the upper and lower turn signals will alternate while the center brake light of the LED bar lights up brighter.

Secure the wiring in the TP, reinstall the TP liner, secure the wiring under the seat. Reinstall your seat. Go for a ride and enjoy your new lighting. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:25:41 PM by Heatwave »

beechflyr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: Flhtcuse6
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »

An earlier post suggested just swapping the grounds. Is this an option or would you say it's better to swap the + leads?
Thanks.

Mntsnow

« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »

I only needed to swap the grounds.   If the wrong side TP turnsignal flashes then you need to swap the positive leads.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »

An earlier post suggested just swapping the grounds. Is this an option or would you say it's better to swap the + leads?
Thanks.

I tried swapping the grounds first but I ended up with the TP turn signals flashing on the opposite side of the lower turn signals. I put the grounds back to their original position and swapped the power leads and everything worked as it was suppose to.

beechflyr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: Flhtcuse6
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »

Thanks again

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »

parts needed  69911-11 and 70933-10  pages 1thru 3 in first posting  TOOLS NEEDED  1)SMALL NEEDLENOSE PLYERS,2)REALLY SMALL DRILL ,PAPERCLIP OR JEWELERS SCREW DRIVER,3) BLACK TAPE ,4) WIRE TIES                                              1)YOU NEED TO TAKE SEAT OFF AND TOUPACK LINER OUT.                                                           2)NEXT UNPLUG TAIL LIGHT PLUG AT REAR OF TOURPAC.  (SHOULD BE 7 WIRES BLACK,VIOLET,AND BLUE.) THIS IS PLUG YOU HAVE TO REALIGN WIRES IN.                     3) DISASSEMBLE TAILIGHT PLUG  ,USE SMALL NEEDLE NOSE TO CLICK PULL WHITE CENTER OUT IN TAILIGHT PLUG ,IT JUST COMES OUT A LITTLE TO UNLOCK .  THEN USE A SMALL ROUND TOOL(PAPER CLIP,JEWELER SCREWDRIVER,OR DRILL) TO PUSH IN ROUND HOLE IN PLUG TO RELEASE THE WIRE, DO TO ALL THE WIRES IN THE PLUG.       4) WHEN WIRES ARE OUT OF THE PLUG YOU NEED TO TEST AND MARK  LEFT , RIGHT,AND MIDDLE SO YOU CAN REALIGN BACK IN PLUG .HARLEY PAGE 2-5  I COPIED AND MARKED #1  THE PICTURE OF PLUG IS FROM REAR. (WIRES  SHOULD SNAP  BACK IN)                                                                                                                                                              5)   FEED MODULE WIRES THRU  TOUR PAK   (I TAPED MINE TO FEED OUT OF LEFT SIDE SO I COULD PUT MODULE IN BUMP OF LINER)                                                                               6 )TAKE Y HARNESS AND PART LOOSE  PLUG ON IT AND  MATCH WIRE COLORS TO EACH OTHER  ,WIRES SHOULD CLICK IN  DO NOT FORCE.                                                         7 ) INSTALL Y HARNESS AND POSISION WIRING  TO  TOURPAK AND IN TOURPAK  AND PLUG TAILIGHTS IN. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO USE LINER TO FIND RIGHT SPOT FOR MODULE,                                                                                                                                                   8)WIRE TIE AND TEST 

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »

Take your time, it's actually less daunting that it appears. Take the liner out of the bottom of your TP. Take your seat off the bike. There's 2 main parts and a plastic connector.

To get oriented: The Y-Adapter goes under the seat. You'll need to find the wire that comes through the rear fender. Find the wire it plugs into. Unplug it. Now plug the y-adapter plugs into the plugs you just unplugged. Your rear lights should now work again and you should have an open plug that your new TP harness will plug into later.

Next, find the wire coming out of the LED light bar at the rear of the TP. Follow the wire to it's plug and unplug it. Lay the factory plug somewhere in the bottom of the TP where it is secure in case someday you want to reuse it. Now take the long wire with the HD module on it. Lay the module in the TP bottom. Take the wire with the metal tips and wrap it tightly into a point with electrical tape. Find where all the wires go through the grommet at the front of the TP. Spread the wires as best you can and work the electrical tape point you just made through the grommet with the other wires. Its a tight fit but if you work it back and forth and slowly, it will work its way through. Once the tip is through, pull the rest of the wire through the grommet. Remove the electrical tape.

Now follow JDO's instructions and install plastic connector on the wire you just pulled through the grommet. Once the plug is on the wire, you should be able to plug it into the open end of the y-adapter you already installed under the seat. Now everything is ready to be plugged in but you're still not done.

Final wiring step. You'll need to make changes to the plug at the end of the wire that comes out of the LED bar. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the white base of the plug slightly out. It doesn't need to move very far to be unlocked. Once it's unlocked you'll need to move 2 wires to opposite slots for the LEDs to function properly. I found it very easy to just take a paperclip, unbend it and then push it into the hole above the wire you'll be moving. You should be able to easily slip the chosen terminal out the back of the plug as you push the paperclip in.

I needed to only move 2 wires for my 2010 SEUC LED TP lighting to be fully functional. Just focus on the 4 outer wires at the 4 corners of the plug. These 4 wires control the corner turn signals on the LED TP Bar. 2 of the 4 wires are black. These are the grounds. The other 2 corner wires have a very faint stripe. These are the power leads. Take these power leads and swap their position. These are the only 2 wires you should need to move. Once they are pushed through into their new positions, just take the needle nose pliers and push the white base back into position to lock the terminals in place. Now plug the HD module into the TP plug you just modified. Test the system by turning the ignition on and trying your turn signals.

You should find that both the lower and TP turn signals  are now flashing together until you apply the brake. When the brake is applied, the upper and lower turn signals will alternate while the center brake light of the LED bar lights up brighter.

Secure the wiring in the TP, reinstall the TP liner, secure the wiring under the seat. Reinstall your seat. Go for a ride and enjoy your new lighting. Good luck.

Hi heatwave,
sorry took so long to respond. Its been really hectic , just trying to keep business going. No time for much else. Anyway, since it has rained 2 consecutive days in central Florida I embarqed myself in this project. Did the y harness under the seat, I thought I had matched the wire colors , although there is no red or blue coming from the module and there are only 5 wires instead of 6, i did the best I could. When I went to test it , both TP lights blink together when I push either of the turning lights. If I swap the power ones the blink crossed sides meaning the right TP left turning signal. I assume this has to do with the way I matched the wires that came from the module with the y harness, but I can't figure it out. I  posted a pix. So if you can throw some light on this it would be appreciated. The other thing I locked the wires in place inside the female connector coming from the module, anyway to get them out if I need to rearrange? :oops:

Thanks

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

Re: ADDING TURN SIGNALS TO LED TOURPACK LIGHTS (parts list and instructions)
« Reply #176 on: October 09, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »

this is a better picture. Bottom are the wires coming from TP module . Color:  brown/orangish/violet/black/yellow. The yellow one was the one I had a issue with. NO matching on the other side, so I matched with  the red, perhaps it should go with the blue ,who knows
thanks

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:45:35 PM by darth davidson »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »

It's been a while since I did this install and I really don't recall the colors that well from memory. I figured my post would help with colors. My recommendation is to follow the steps I outlined again to see where you might have been different. If that doesn't work, I would recommend giving JDO a call. He provides his # in the instructions and I found him very knowledgeable and helpful.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:19:52 AM by Heatwave »

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2011, 07:00:56 AM »

It's been a while since I did this install and I really don't recall the colors that well from memory. I figured my post would help with colors. My recommendation is to follow the steps I outlined again to see where you might have f=different. If that doesn't work, I would recommend giving JDO a call. He provides his # in the instructions and I found him very knowledgeable and helpful.
I found in another post , that the yellow coming from the TP should match the blue from the Y harness. Who would have known !!! I need to redue the housing. I hope I don't tear anything beyond repair!!! :oops:

US.Army.Retired

• Junior CVO Member
  • US Army (Retired)

• CVO1: 2004 Fatboy
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlet Red/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »

I have never noticed from where I am seated.   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 22 queries.