Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2011 After ~900 miles.  (Read 3487 times)

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
2011 After ~900 miles.
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »

I hit 900 miles riding to work this morning and I feel like I have a grasp of what I do and do not like about the new scooter>
My only real comparison is my '07 CVO Ultra.
1.  The seat is GREAT on the '11 for me, but after a 300+ mile ride this weekend, momma is not happy.  I need a seat that is good for both myself and my wife.  We are both partial to Corbin, but I have some personal reasons not to go there.  If I HAVE to I will, but it will really chap my ass to do so.
2.  Backrest/Luggage Rack.  The Backrest is too low for Momma, and with my predilection to rapid acceleration she is not comfortable.  I want the integrate the Stealth luggage rack with a taller backrest, but looking at the pics on the Harley web site I am confused about the quick release hardware.  I have a friend that has this setup on his '08 standard (?) FLHX, can I just get the same part numbers he ordered and be good to go?  I am thinking that with the wider fender maybe not?
3.  I do not think my '07 EVER ran right, even after adding HC pistons and 251 cams, it did not feel as strong as the '11 does.  Does anyone know what cam is in the '11?  It is still HOT. 
3.  Brakes.  This bike stops NOW!  I am very impressed with the Brembo and ABS setup. 
4.  Cruise control.  It seems MUCH harder to get the cruise engaged.  I have found that if I completely release the throttle and mash the button several times it will come on, but will NOT engage at all with the throttle open?  Is this a difference with the fly by wire?  Should I let the dealer sort that out?
5.  Will the stereo clear up once my 8 inch windscreen get's here?  It is better than the Ultra, but not much.  I do NOT want to spend another $400 to hear the stereo.
6.  Handling.  I don't know if it is the difference between the hydraulic shocks and the air ride on the two bikes, but the handling is MUCH tighter and predictable. No bottoming out feeling and NO head shake.  70+ MPH sweepers used to induce some seriously troubling head shake, I know the new frame will account for a bunch of this as well.  It is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the ultra in the handling department.
All in all I am in love with this bike, and so is the wife.  I had buyers remorse almost from day one with the Ultra, but I am thrilled with this bike.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: 2011 After ~900 miles.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:40:36 PM »

Regarding #1,  I believe Corbin went out of business a while back. I don't recall hearing of anyone taking the reins, so you might have to go another route.

On #5, the taller screen might help a little, but going with the J&M's 7.25's will help tremendously. Yes, it sucks to drop this kind of dough and get a radio that you can't hear at highway speeds, but you can either live with it and complain to deaf ears at the MOCO, or bite the bullet and get the speakers that do work well. Under no circumstances would I buy the MOCO aftermarket J&M knock-off speakers, out of principle.

My .02 fwiw.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

04se103

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:08:46 PM »

Corbin is still in business spoke with them today

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:16:01 PM »

#2  08 parts will not work with 09 and later.  Wider rear fender (due to the 180 tire and new swing arm assembly).
#3  your 110 has the same cams, 255, that the 07 110 had when you bought it.
#4  Let your dealer suss out the cruise control issue.  The problems you are experiencing has nothing to do with the TBW.  I'm on my second cruise control TBW equipped bike and it works first time everytime when I push the cruise button forward.
#5 putting a taller windshield will take care of some of the wind buffeting that you are experiencing with the lower wind deflector.  Knocking down wind noise will increase your ability to hear the stereo better at highway speeds.  (I put a 9.5 inch windshield on my SESG and that works nicely, I'm 6'4")
#6  The hydraulic shocks, which IMO, are the best OEM shocks the MoCo has ever come out with, combined with the new frame and swingarm, are giving you that sweet ride now.  My SESG handles and rides noticeably better than my 07 SEUC does.

:devil:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:18:25 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »

Corbin is still in business spoke with them today
Didn't know they came back from the dead. Good news as they do have some good stuff!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »

For my 2 cents, Mustang is a GREAT alternative for seats. I use the solo w/rider backrest and a 13.5" pillion when 2-up and the 8.5" pillion when solo. The Mustang rider's backrest is the best in the business. Infinitely adjustable on the fly. I have posted several pictures on different threads of the seat with both pillions and with and without the taller passenger backrest. If you can't find the photos, PM me and I'll repost here. Both pillions work with the taller backrest and the 2-up luggage rack. Haven't tried the stealth rack but no reason that shouldn't work.

I am intrigued that you can't hear the stereo. I was sure that the 6-speaker system would be the shizz. I run a Hawg wired Double-Shot and am not thrilled with it either.

NativTexan

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »

I have just about 2K miles and I can hear my stereo pretty good at 70-80 MPH.  Of course it is turned almost all the way up.  I ordered a Klockworks flare 8 1/2 " windsheild that came in yesterday.  I havent had a chance to put it on yet but I was in love with my 10" on my 07 ultra.  That mad all the difference in the world on wind noise and buffetting.  I am going to Wichita Falls this weekend so I will report on that windsheild next week as well as my rider backrest that came in earlier in the week. ;D
2011 Black Diamond/Crimson FLXSE2
Allen, Texas

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:08:49 AM »

Thanks to all for the responses to my questions.  Mustang is not going to work for me, or rather for the wife.  Because of my issues with Corbin, the last two saddles I have bought were Mustang and the seats are not to my wife's liking, and when Momma is not happy.... :)
I put in an e-mail to John at J&M and got a really quick response.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
wow ,,,, you have one of the new 2011 CVO StreetGlides ,,, cool ,,,,
we will be releasing later this year, our 7.25" speaker kits for your lower fairing pieces along with an optimal 500w 4-channel amp to drive them all ,,,,,,,,,,
then you can add those, along with our 7.25" speaker upgrade for your fairing ,,,,,,,,
should rock-n-roll about as hard as anything any of us have heard ,,,,,,,,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
E-mailed Hawg Wired and Hog Tunes as well.  Hog tunes says that they have not had a chance to get one of the 11's torn down yet, I am going to talk to Pez later today.  Nothing from Hawg WIred yet but I will report back here if they do respond.
We are leaving for Jamaica for a week on Saturday so I will drop the bike off at the dealer for the 1k service and have them check out the cruise.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »

As for the seat, if you are set against Corbin, look at C&C.  I've got two seats from them.  The C&C Solo, which is great for around town, and long solo rides.  This weekend alone, I logged a 330 mile ride on it.

The second seat, is the C&C SportTour, for the 2up riding.  I LOVE this seat.  So much, that I may start to use this on my longer solo rides.  My wife loves it too.  Had a matching backrest made too.

Oh, and they're much less expensive than Corbin.

NativTexan

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »

P.S. I have had no problems with my Cruise control.  Works well.
2011 Black Diamond/Crimson FLXSE2
Allen, Texas

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:33:26 PM »

The Saddlemen Explorer Special (without studs) is extremely comfortable.  I talked my boss into one for his Electra Glide and he (and his girlfriend) love it.  I've had two Saddlemen Solo seats, both with Gel, and love them, too.

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=513_572_578

2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 04:16:43 PM »

SOOO, as it turns out the cruise control thing was operator error.  I could have sworn that on my '07 i just pressed in on the cruise switch, but I suppose I was wrong.  Now when I pull back on the cruise switch it engages just fine.  My bad.... 
The Saddleman would sit my BSR too high and she wants to be down low.  I think we are going to go ahead and go with the Corbin solo and touring pillion I saw in another thread.  Thanks for all the feedback!

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »

Regarding #1,  I believe Corbin went out of business a while back. I don't recall hearing of anyone taking the reins, so you might have to go another route.

Funny my seats on order and members get them every day. I would suggest buying through forum member HDdude Jim at Metal Dragon as he has a good relationship with Corbin and can get what you want done right the first time. I went with the Dual Tour with heat front and rear. Gotta keep momma happy

On #5, the taller screen might help a little, but going with the J&M's 7.25's will help tremendously. Yes, it sucks to drop this kind of dough and get a radio that you can't hear at highway speeds, but you can either live with it and complain to deaf ears at the MOCO, or bite the bullet and get the speakers that do work well. Under no circumstances would I buy the MOCO aftermarket J&M knock-off speakers, out of principle.

J&M's with the amp are the only way to go Try Vendors on the forum and use DR Vtwin for a great deal!  :2vrolijk_21:
My .02 fwiw.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to post the review.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

jcd520

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »

Regarding the stereo, I think the windshield is the problem . I have a Hawg Wired 4 in your face setup (75w per channel) and I hear it just fine at 70-75. However my dark windshield is 10 inches from the top to the center screw on the fairing. I am 6'3" and look just over the shield while riding. Now your new SESG has 100 watts of power per channel --6 speakers and the lower ones are 6.5" instead of 5.25" so my guess is it should be a more powerful system than mine and your head is up in the wind more so consequently you aren't getting all the tunes.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.562 seconds with 21 queries.